The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, Leo, D B Cooper), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,660
Posts1,006,225
Members44,993
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Exhaust system too loud
#702517 Sat Dec 11 2010 05:28 AM
Cletis Offline OP
Extreme Gabster

I put Fenton headers on my '54 with a 248. Then I had the same glaspacs put on it that are on my '56 with a 350. The '56 sounds deep and mellow. The '54 sounds loud and obnoxious.

I first asked about this on the Sub and Panel forum because it was suggested that it just sounds loud because it is a Suburban. But I have discounted that. It not only sounds loud, it is loud. I got some suggestions over there but I'm hoping someone here knows something about how exhaust systems work and can help me with a solution.

The installer claims it is the difference between a 6 cyl. and an 8 cyl. But I know of several pickups in the area running Fentons and glaspacs that aren't this loud. They won't do anything about it unless I pay more money. I already paid $100 more than what I paid for the '56 system. They aren't getting any more of my money.

Now I need to figure out how to fix it myself. It seems to me that there is some kind of acoustic effect taking place here. It seems to be amplifying the sound at certain rpms. As I go through the gears it goes from tolerable to obnoxious. And at highway speed it sounds like straight pipes.

I'm thinking about adding another set of mufflers near the outlet. My reasoning is maybe the long pipe after the muffler is making it sound obnoxious. The '56 pipes are shorter, exiting just forward of the axle. The burb pipes go all the way to the back. Any comments on that theory?

Or do I need a crossover pipe as was suggested in the other forum.

Or? Any help will be appreciated.

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website
Re: Exhaust system too loud
Cletis #702528 Sat Dec 11 2010 06:33 AM
W
Shop Shark
If you have both pipes go into one glass pack it will sound better ,in my 2 cent opinion. Also larger pipes on the rice burners makes that sound I don't care for also. I have the fentons on my 302 GMC the dual pipes go into the muffler with dual inlets and dual outlets. I used the medium muffler from WALDRON'S EXHAUST. The pipe stops just after the back of the cab with turn down's. http://waldronexhaust.com/shop/index.php
They have videos on YOUTUBE. You can listen to many types of systems there.

Stovebolt Gallery
1952 Chevy 3100
1953 Chevy 4400
1965 Nova
Pics on Photobucket
Cletis #702529 Sat Dec 11 2010 06:37 AM
Shop Shark
Cletis -
Both of you solutions will help.
The cross over pipe helps balance the sound and will make it somewhat less noisey.
Also, remember, the longer the tail pipes the louder it is. So, another set of mufflers further down the line toward the back would also belp make it even less noisey.
In short, you have just about the two best ideas to accomplish what you need to do with the first idea probably being the cheapest and the second being more money, but more solution.

See Joe Fuchs' 1937 Chevrolet 1/2 Ton Pick Up on Facebook at The Top Of My Page. Go to: Joe Fuchs on Facebook

"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"

My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
6cylindersovertexas #702534 Sat Dec 11 2010 06:44 AM
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Cletis, do you know how to fabricate and weld exhaust tubing? If so, you can put a connecter between the 2 exhaust pipes in front of the mufflers, what is called an "H" pipe on an 8-cylinder application. That adds torque and reduces noise.

Further improvement is available from larger, quieter mufflers. Loud exhaust systems are very annoying to people inside of and outside of the noisy vehicle, so it's understandable that you want to quiet it down.

Ray
yar #702570 Sat Dec 11 2010 03:20 PM
G
Shop Shark
I just bought a piece of pipe cut and ground it to fit and welded in place works fine but probably leaks on the top a bit where I couldn,t reach very well.

gazim #702590 Sat Dec 11 2010 04:19 PM
C
Shop Shark
I drive mine daily so I just use use quiet mufflers, Walker 18234 last time, with 2-1/4 in 2 out.

chuckthetruck #702838 Sun Dec 12 2010 04:52 PM
ODSS President
I believe an x-pipe is your solution. The X really quieted down my 30" glasspacks from Fenton's, 2" pipes. Some major co. sells an 'X - Muffler', two in, two out with a perforated X inside to diffuse and muffle the exhaust.

Although I love the sound of straight pipes with burned out shorty glasspacks, I only love the sound for about ten seconds. As below I just returned from a 900 mile round trip at Thanksgiving, listened to MP3 driven speakers the whole way.

Cosmo

"...my good horse Rocinante ('49 Chevy Half Ton), mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
Cosmo #703579 Wed Dec 15 2010 03:53 AM
J
Shop Shark
Cletis:
Just read an ad in Classic Trucks Feb 2011 issue you might be interested in. Dynamite Dumps..Sound Suppression inserts. Made to quite pipes and increase power etc. Web site is...

www.carchemistry.com

Don't know if it will fit your application..just thought I would share the info I saw.
Take Care

1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

"True victory is victory over one's self."
Krav Maga isn't pretty ... but it works just fine.

Jimmi V.
Jimmi_V #703585 Wed Dec 15 2010 04:25 AM
Cletis Offline OP
Extreme Gabster
Thanks Jimmi, but all I found there was headers for open engine cars.

I have ordered a couple of Walker 17852 mufflers. I intend to use them in addition to the glaspacs. I will mount them close to the exit.

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website
Cletis #703601 Wed Dec 15 2010 05:09 AM
Shop Shark
Cletis -
You may find that after you get the Walkers mounted, they might be just fine by themselves and you can pull the glasspacks. Don't overlook the possibility of doing that in order to keep your back pressure in check.

See Joe Fuchs' 1937 Chevrolet 1/2 Ton Pick Up on Facebook at The Top Of My Page. Go to: Joe Fuchs on Facebook

"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"

My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop