The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (Alainfrenchie54, ApacheFiend, TGP, 1 invisible), 70 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,467
Posts956,550
Members43,409
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bad noise
#686697 Sat Oct 16 2010 06:20 PM
G
Guest Offline OP
New Guy
Hi All,
Well I drove the 65 Chevy Grumman project van home yesterday . Wow... I didn't think it was going to make it .
There's a howling that's either from the trans or the diff . I can't tell which .

The noise is worse at lower speeds, like between 20-30 mph and is less once the truck gets going 40 or better . The noise is not as bad when backing off as it is when the truck is gaining speed . When on a flat road with little to no load the noise is gone .
There's some play in the pinion gear , but I've seen worse cases of excessive gear lash that didn't produce the noise this think makes.
Any ideas of what to check ? It almost sounds like a bad bearing in the trans . Has a bad trans bearing ever caused a howling noise?

I'm really starting to wish that I'd walked away from this nightmare .

Thanks again for all the support !

Oh yeah, 292 with a 4 speed and a front loading "pumpkin" type 1 ton diff.

Re: Bad noise
Guest #686704 Sat Oct 16 2010 06:37 PM
C
Shop Shark
There is very little in a transmission that can make noise like you describe. However, it is typical of a rear end. Does the rear end have oil in it? Not that it really matters. Once they howl, they have had it. Something like sawdust or banana peels in the rear end will be a temporary fix. One other thing that can make noise is the center bearing. If you are lucky, this might be all it is.

crenwelge #686715 Sat Oct 16 2010 07:37 PM
O
Wrench Fetcher
How long have ya had the nightmare? Some enjoy the challenge these old trucks give us. When it gets to be a nightmare we do something else for awhile, I like to crash RC airplanes, then I have two projects to challenge me. yahoo

1952 Chevy 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures in Photobucket

Doin better'n some an worse than others. Life's what ya make of it. FAMILY, GOD and COUNTRY. Love it or Leave it.
Old Dollar #686733 Sat Oct 16 2010 08:38 PM
W
Master Gabster
Sounds like rear end to me. Pull the cover & have a look. If the pinion brg is tight & the carrier brgs sre loose you can adjust them up & help it some. It is easy to change the center section if you find a good used one.
Those old aluminum Grummans are great trucks. That's practically all I worked on back when I had a shop.
Have you posted a photo in the Gallery?

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Guest #686801 Sun Oct 17 2010 02:10 AM
H
Boltergeist
You've got a bad pinion bearing, probably the big one right in front of the pinion geat teeth. Don't run it long that way, or you'll shell out some gear teeth. Fortunately, it's not terribly difficult to change out the pinion bearings. I'd reccomend swapping the bearings on both sides of the ring gear carrier while you're in there.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #686865 Sun Oct 17 2010 08:21 AM
G
Guest Offline OP
New Guy
Thanks guys.
I was thinking ring and pinion . The center carrier bearing is a good thought . It seemed tight when I checked it , but it could be bad .
I just bought the van about a month ago and thought it would be a pretty easy fix as for the drive line . I think that I've just tried to do to much at one time and now I'm a little burned out . Nothing has worked as one would expect it to . Fix this and then that breaks, if you know what I mean .

The diff in this truck doesn't have a removable rear cover . It's the old style diff that the whole carrier is removed from the front . I think its an Eaton...does that sound right?
The only diff that I recall that was like this ones design was my 63 Impala.
I'll check that center bearing again . The PO did say that it was howling for quite awhile before it was parked, which was 7 or 8 years ago . I did check the diff oil and it was down about a half a pint . No big deal . And the oil was clean as well .
This problem may or may not be a simple fix. The trip to my home is was just over 20 miles. Wouldn't a bad bearing fail in that distance?
I do like the idea of the center bearing being a cause of the noise because the noise seems to be in between the trans and the diff .

I'll try to post some pictures in the gallery , but I'm not the best at uploading things .

Again, thanks for all of the tips . You folks are the best!

Guest #686882 Sun Oct 17 2010 12:54 PM
H
Boltergeist
I think you're misunderstanding my terminology. The carrier bearings (plural) are the ones inside the housing, on each side of the ring gear. They support the differential assembly. That Grumman van will probably have the same Eaton rear end as the 3/4 ton and 1-ton trucks. If it's one of the bigger van bodies, it might step up to the 1 1/2 ton chassis with an upsized version of the same type of rear axle. Either way, it's time to pull the axle shafts, drop the center section out, and start looking for trashed bearings. You might be able to get an idea of what's going on by draining some of the grease out of the rear end, and check for a metallic shine, or even chunks of metal.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #686910 Sun Oct 17 2010 03:13 PM
W
Master Gabster
If it doesn't have a cover on the rear it must be a 1 1/2 ton chassis or a heavy duty 1 ton. It probably has 10 hole wheels or 6 hole Bud wheels. You can check the pinion brgs by grabing the yoke. There should be no up & down play. Naturally ther will be some turning play.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Wrenchbender Ret. #687128 Mon Oct 18 2010 05:57 AM
G
Guest Offline OP
New Guy
Your right Jerry , I did think you were talking about the drive shaft carrier bearing . I should have known better , and that would be just way to easy. lol.
The hubs are 8 hole so I don't think its anything more than a 1 ton axle .
Can't say that there's any up and down ,or side play on the input bearing , but the drive shaft has a little better than a 1/4 turn of free play in the ring and pinion .

I did do a little research on the diff and was told that for the most part, no parts were to be had for it . Is this true ? Am I in for a lot of work trying to fit a newer Dana into the van ?

With the free play that's in the ring and pinion,if the carrier bearings turn out to be bad, could the ring and pinion still be good if the carrier bearings were replaced ?

I'll try and get the carrier out this week . I still can't figure out how to upload pictures . Must be a big secret.
Thanks again guys .

Guest #687274 Mon Oct 18 2010 10:09 PM
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Originally Posted by Guest
I did do a little research on the diff and was told that for the most part, no parts were to be had for it . Is this true ? Am I in for a lot of work trying to fit a newer Dana into the van ?

There are parts available for the Eaton, but the available gear sets are limited and the parts are expensive.

Before investing in that rear I'd want to consider carefully what gear ratio is going to make the most sense. If its not one of the three available Eaton ratios then you need to consider an axle swap.

You have more options than just the Dana. I'm using a GM 14-bolt under my 1-ton. The 14-bolt was GM's successor to the Eaton and is pretty stout.

Its true, I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Steve@OldSub.com . www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com
'55 1st GMC Suburban . '54 GMC 250 trailer puller project. '54 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic . '54 Chevy 3100 . '47 Chevy COE . and more...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop