The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Getting back to business
First round of holidays is about over. A few weeks before the next ones. For some of us...

Winter is Coming
Time to think about wintering your Bolt.
(continued)

A good Tech Tip
WINTERIZING YOUR TRUCK
including a link back to the Forums for some new thoughts.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
In the works
Nothing like an old truck calendar

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (WE b OLD, Slick Willy, 1 invisible), 98 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,667
Posts1,046,494
Members46,401
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
You should see 13 volts or more at the battery posts with the engine running at fast idle or above. The ground wire should attach somewhere on the metal base of the regulator, usually by a sheet metal screw into the base. One of the cover attaching screws will be OK, though.

Try polarizing the generator by connecting a jumper wire from the Bat. terminal to the Arm. terminal on the regulator momentarily. You should get a moderate amount of spark, not a dead-short flash. Run the engine and check the voltage at either the Arm. terminal of the regulator or the battery posts. They should be within a few 10ths. of a volt of each other, and 13 volts or more if the generator is charging. No charge- - - -try grounding the Field terminal at the regulator. This should put the generator into full charge, no voltage control at all. Don't rev the engine too high with the field grounded- - - -I've seen voltage go above 20 volts. If there's no charge with the field grounded after polarizing, you've got generator problems.
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
T
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks for the tips. I went back out and checked as you said. It does show charging with the (F) - grounded, however its more 12.5 volts and slowly climbing to 12.8 after about 2 minutes.. It hasn't started charging the battery on its own yet, but I guess that is due to the battery being almost full. I will have to keep a eye on it when I get the truck put back together more so I can load the accessories, lights , etc.

1950 Chevy 3100 Blog w/Pics - http://txchevy50.blogspot.com/
Goal: Clean, Rebuild, Paint, & Drive on a budget. Major restore of components will be done over time.
T
Wrench Fetcher
Update: Removed the screw/rubber nut on the driver side hole and placed a bolt there instead to ground it to the cab. Now its charging all the time 13+ volts.

Goal: Clean, Rebuild, Paint, & Drive on a budget. Major restore of components will be done over time.
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
So, you obviously didn't have the regulator housing grounded to the generator body with a separate wire like I reccomended. Relying on body-to engine grounds through things like the driveshaft, etc. is very risky business. They can change resistance anytime you hit a bump, etc.
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
T
Wrench Fetcher
Yeah, I did the bolt as part of your suggestion to ground the housing. It obviously fixed the issue. Running a separate wire is the next step, just ran out of time the day I was working on it. Electrical is only about 50% done on the truck currently. :-)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop