The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (KDrown, 5 Window 9434, ESum, 55 SHAKER, 52Carl, Perro, 1 invisible), 209 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,897
Posts969,150
Members43,785
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: T85N Borg Warner Manual 3 speed Overdrive Transmission
#68330 Mon Nov 13 2006 05:18 PM
T
Shop Shark
Thanks Cosmo,
The unit is on a 3 speed Saginaw, is it a Saginaw overdrive?
I think the 3 speed and 4 speed Saginaws share the same tailhousings but was hoping someone would know for certain

#68331 Mon Nov 13 2006 08:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
I've got one of those 4 speed Saginaws with the O.D. unit on it. I didn't build it. I bought it from one of the guys on the Inliners site. Haven't installed it yet, but one of these days it will go into my '37 1/2 ton. Seems like I remember a write up somewhere on the Inliners site about building these. Maybe in TechTips? Prowl around over there and you will probably find it.

I ran one of the Borg Warner 3sp + O.D. for about 12 years in a '57 1/2 ton. It was a great setup. Like others have posted here, I just used a toggle switch on the dash to shift it. I didn't bother with the governor and kickdown switch monkey business. Who needs it? That's just over complicating things in my opinion.

#68332 Wed Nov 15 2006 10:08 PM
T
Extreme Gabster
I been running a Sagainaw 4 speed with an OD for a few years now,I did the build,farly easy.Ya need the OD unit from a Saginaw 3 spd,and the mainshaft from the OD tranny.3 and 4 spd Saginaws use the same mainshaft,but the OD shaft is shorter.3 and 4 sp tailhousing interchange,the cases are very similar,but 4 spd gearset reverse won't fit a 3 spd case.Comparing the 3spd OD and 4spd cases,drill one hole by hand,need to build up some weld on the reverse shifter fork so it acts on the a rod to knock the OD out when in reverse.
I've never seen a BW T85 tranny with OD in the common GM imput shaft and bolt pattern,typical Ford tranny.All GM OD's are the Muncie 318 or Saginaw to my understanding.GM did offer the non T85 as a 3 speed option in trucks years ago.
The OD unit from the earlier Muncie transmission looks similar,but won't fit on a Saginaw.

#68333 Thu Nov 16 2006 01:39 AM
L
Master Gabster
There needs to be a little clarification on the GM "Muncie" and "Saginaw" trannies. The SM318 is considered a saginaw trans, regardless of plant. The only true Muncies are the M20,21, and 22 4 speeds. Also, the 318 is not the same as the saginaw 4 speed, you're probably thinking of the 326 or 330 3 speeds, though all were made with the od option. The BW T85 was used in Jeeps as I recall, not GM. Possibly some Ford applications too.
As far as the od itself, BW manufactured the overdrive units for the different makes. Most of the internals are essentially the same. The mounting adapter is the primary difference.

Bill Burmeister
#68334 Thu Nov 16 2006 03:59 AM
R
Shop Shark
There is a lot of confusion out there about what is a Muncie and what is a Saginaw. The Shop that I buy my 55-67 3 speed parts from calls that transmission a Muncie. It is Anaheim Gear in Anaheim, CA. They have probably built more of these gear boxes than we will ever see in a lifetime.
With regard to other 3 speeds in later vehicles, I am looking at page 7M-14/15 of the 1974 Chevrolet Passenger Car Service Manual which states: "Note: The 3-speed Muncie unit is similar to the 3-speed Saginaw design but differs in that it has a 3-1/4 inch center distance between the mainshaft and countershaft instead of 3 inches, and has larger bearings, gears, input shaft, and mainshaft. Power flow is essentially the same for both the Saginaw and Muncie transmissions" Also fig. 15-Muncie 3 speed - Transmission cross section.
I don't imagine this lessens the confusion any. Fred

#68335 Thu Nov 16 2006 02:42 PM
G
Shop Shark
There is a good article on the Warner T85 in the latest Hemmings Motor News.
It covers the overdrives as well and lists all the years, makes and models of cars you can find them in. One of the more common vehicles to find the OD in is the '65 to '71 Ford truck.

#68336 Fri Nov 17 2006 08:46 AM
C
Shop Shark
Fred, did I read in another post that you got parts from NAPA to replace the factory solenoid? This is the big drawback on these units since some people with a working solenoild want more for it than you can pick up a trans for. Thanks, Evan

Evan
#68337 Fri Nov 17 2006 05:38 PM
R
Shop Shark
Evan,
I use a Napa SL-199 Switch which is a late model GM cruise control switch and a AR-294 relay which is a 80's VW/Audi headlight relay. I use the original solenoid and govenor. I fabricate the carb/linkage bracket and make up factory type a wire loom using the correct color coded wires.
I have several of my OD's currently cruising the freeways in So Cal. If you would like to e-mail me direct I can give you additional info on the hook up. Fred

#68338 Tue Nov 21 2006 03:18 AM
50Tiger Offline OP
Lots of good info floating around out there! But other than Anaheim Gear in Anaheim, Ca., does anyone know of any shops that carry the sun and planatary gears - or any of the overdrive parts? If anyone in the southeast has an extra OD for sale, holler at me!

Thanks,
Brad

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop