The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (carryall jerry, Alex Arrow, artinva, DennisM, Barnfind49, 55 SHAKER, 1 invisible), 352 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,553
Posts927,196
Members42,475
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"2600 Miles in THAT!?!...to go get WHAT!?! * #664049 Wed Jul 21 2010 08:20 AM
R
RocketRay Offline OP
New Guy
Good Morning:

Though I've posted a couple times under general forum, thought it's about time to get some pics up and a few words in.

And what better way to debut yourself then to publicly announce behavior that one or two folks might characterize as insane...

I'm about to embark on a 2600 mile 3 day roundtrip roadtrip from Tampa FL to Paxton MA in a 1960 Chevrolet Apache 10 Shortbed Fleetside 235 4 speed.

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/yy89/bigwildhair/1960%20Apache%2010/

Purchased 24 February 2002.
Gorgeous paintwork already done though unbeknownest to me, much of the mechanicals were about to have my greasy fingerprints all over them. I took it back to OEM (the PO was running some wide short 60's and had cut the rear springs and unwound the front torsions). Though initially tempted with the sirens of a 350 SBC, I stayed with the orig Stovebolt which has largely remained untouched. I just installed a progressive 2 bbl carb (Thank You Langdon's Stovebolts!) to replace a leaky Rochester. I searched and finally found/installed the biggest used period correct radiator to keep things cool. The instrument panel was swapped for one featuring full gauges and they all work except for the tach. And though I don't mind setting dwell/timing and messing with breaker points, I went Pertronix breakerless ignition with no problems to date (unless this has something to do above regarding my motionless OEM tach.

The power goes through the gears of an SM420 I recently swapped in complete with correct driveshaft, floor cover and steering column collar. I did take liberties with the shift knob, swapped for an 8 ball shifter crafted myself from a real pool ball (hmmm, what to do with the other 14...)

At the business end, a 3.38:1 ring & pinion gets me down the road. It'll cruise without drama @ 70. I've briefly danced on the dark side of 80 but at that point it's screaming. It's shod with BFG radial TA 255/70 rear & 235/70 front on 15 inch "smoothies". I did retain the orig 15x5 wheels complete with OEM chrome hubcaps.

Of course, all the other incidentals (brakes, water pump, generator, clutch master/slave cylinders, battery) have been rehabbed as well to OEM spec.

Couple months ago, I found my Holy Grail, The Chrome Grille!

Down the road:
Convert to Stepside bed. (match my daily driver '95)

The Memories:
I grew up in Northeast WI, learned to drive on my dad's '66 longbed 283 3 speed. In HS I drove a clapped out '64 C20 with a $100 6 cyl engine transplanted from a Chevy Nova. It did sport the optional SM420 4 speed w/driveshaft mounted park/emergency brake. That handbrake helped me avoid a couple OMG's as well allowing for an ontime arrival for a job interview when the regular brakes failed (yes, I did get the job)

It's a good thing I like to wrench and that these trucks afford accessibility and relative maintainability and affordability.

And it's a good thing Stovebolt.com is here! Technically, socially and historically; Second to None!

Oh, almost forgot...the reason I'm about to drive a 50 yr old pickup truck 2600 miles? To go pick up some 1965 Oldsmobile Starfire car parts. (my other affliction to shiny metal...)

I'll bring my canon powershot with to record and share the adventure.

Caio

Ray

Last edited by J Lucas; Wed Oct 27 2010 03:43 AM.

1960 Chevrolet Apache 10 Short Fleet black
1995 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 RCSS black
1963 Oldsmobile Starfire Coupe black/black
1965 Oldsmobile Starfire Convertible teal
1965 Oldsmobile Starfire Convertible white
1965 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Convertible sand
1965 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Convertible red
Re: "2600 Miles in THAT!?!...to go get WHAT!?! [Re: RocketRay] #664066 Wed Jul 21 2010 01:40 PM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Ray, sounds like you got a really nice truck and what can I say about the road trip? Well, I wish I was going with you!!! Nothing better than cruising these old trucks on the highway.

Say, don't know what route your taking but if your anywhere close to my house here beside I-85 you better stop. We'll run up to the Short Stop and have a couple dogs and Pepsi..my treat!!

I'm also envious of all the toys you have smile

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: "2600 Miles in THAT!?!...to go get WHAT!?! [Re: Achipmunk] #665526 Tue Jul 27 2010 03:17 PM
R
RocketRay Offline OP
New Guy
Thanks! Got home late last night, exhausted.

(This posting a quickie status update)

Oy! man, I shoulda brought my laptop (lesson learned) with me, I ran I-95 down through SC but would have gladly made a detour to enjoy the company and a cold drink of a fellow bolter.

This trip was an adventure. You'll never see something like this on TV because reality sometimes really is stranger then fiction.

Going up running empty, no prob. Trip back was...oh,....I'd characterize as "Not Fun At All".

Loaded probably well beyond my GVW 5200 lbs with an est 3/4 ton of 1965 Oldsmobile Starfire parts running @ I'm guessing 70-80 MPH+ (speedo needle jammed/broke at 77 mph) in temps approaching 100 degrees can be described as nothing short of a destruction test.

I'm here (literally) to tell you, "these trucks are tough!" and it got the job done.

But not without a bit of drama to include: "hope this works and doesn't catch on fire" type field re-engineering, playing 20 questions with 3 Worchester MA police officers, field repairs done in a field, getting slightly taken advantage of by strangers at one point, dumb luck, experiencing the kindness of strangers at another, one AAA jumpstart, two pull starts and one "pushed it myself" start.

The way this journey concluded is nothing short of incredible. Stay Tuned.

1960 Chevrolet Apache 10 Short Fleet black
1995 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 RCSS black
1963 Oldsmobile Starfire Coupe black/black
1965 Oldsmobile Starfire Convertible teal
1965 Oldsmobile Starfire Convertible white
1965 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Convertible sand
1965 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Convertible red
Re: "2600 Miles in THAT!?!...to go get WHAT!?! [Re: RocketRay] #665528 Tue Jul 27 2010 03:25 PM
F
FriedGreenTmater Offline
Shop Shark
Sounds like fun!

Just curious, What in the world is That Trailer used for?

Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
1953 Chevrolet 3600
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Caution: Political Statement

Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Re: "2600 Miles in THAT!?!...to go get WHAT!?! [Re: FriedGreenTmater] #665530 Tue Jul 27 2010 03:32 PM
Z
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
Originally Posted by FriedGreenTmater
Sounds like fun!

Just curious, What in the world is That Trailer used for?

That was my question also.
A Pro-Street Trailer, now that's something new headscratch ...joe

Re: "2600 Miles in THAT!?!...to go get WHAT!?! [Re: RocketRay] #665587 Tue Jul 27 2010 06:46 PM
T
truckcamper43 Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Glad to hear to had a great road trip. I love taking my 1954 3100 on road trips. How did that two barrel carb work? Did you check the mpg with that carb? Thanks.

Stovebolts are good for the heart
Re: "2600 Miles in THAT!?!...to go get WHAT!?! [Re: truckcamper43] #665715 Wed Jul 28 2010 03:30 AM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Glad your home safe. It may not be so much fun while its happening but AFTER its over, your home safe drinking a cold one and then laughing as you tell your story. They are the best kindof stories. The ones you shouldn't have done..... but did them anyway!!!!

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop