The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 333 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,528
Posts930,197
Members42,646
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fuel smell in cab? #635557 Wed Apr 07 2010 04:21 AM
L
lightflyer1 Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I have a fuel smell in the cab. I checked all connections from the carb to the tank. Only one leaking was the output of the fuel pump to the carb. Tightened it as much as I dared to. It wasn't that loose just small wetness around it. Pulled the seat out to check the tank area. Found no leak anywhere. Smelled around the sending unit and filler and vent connections. Nothing. I will replace the connector hoses as the vent hose has small cracks in it (but no smell). I am at a loss as to where else to check. Any ideas? While checking I found a disconnected ground strap from the frame to starter. Cleaned and connected it. Ground strap from battery was disconnected from battery and a 12V cable connected from battery to trans housing. I will reconnect the original ground strap and get a new cable to connect from frame where ground strap connects to trans housing. Cleaned the connection from sending unit to body as well as POR15 was used behind the seat. Still no fuel gauge reading.

Last edited by cletis; Wed Apr 07 2010 05:24 AM. Reason: clarified title
Re: Fuel smell in cab? [Re: lightflyer1] #635578 Wed Apr 07 2010 06:10 AM
S
squeeze Offline
Master Gabster
what year truck?

maybe a pinhole in the bottom of the tank?
carb wet at all? open holes in the firewall? rot holes in floor?
maybe running too rich with a bit of exhaust leak?

Bill

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Re: Fuel smell in cab? [Re: squeeze] #635586 Wed Apr 07 2010 06:58 AM
L
lightflyer1 Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
1954 Chevy 3100. New exhaust, carb exterior dry. No rot. Doesn't seem rich, haven't checked plugs though yet.

Re: Fuel smell in cab? [Re: lightflyer1] #635628 Wed Apr 07 2010 01:55 PM
D
Donsz Offline
Shop Shark
On mine, as Bill suggests, it came from some pinhole leaks at the bottom of the tank. I had to remove the tank to verify the leak. That's where my troubles started, now I'm still on a 5 year restoration journey. However, your truck looks great, you won't have the same problem.

Re: Fuel smell in cab? [Re: Donsz] #635638 Wed Apr 07 2010 02:25 PM
L
lightflyer1 Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
This morning on the way to work it seems to be gone now. Maybe that last tightening of the fuel pump connection did it. I will wait and see how it does this weekend at the Lone Star Roundup.

Re: Fuel smell in cab? [Re: lightflyer1] #635685 Wed Apr 07 2010 05:52 PM
E
enigmaT120 Offline
Shop Shark
A little fuel smell certainly goes a long way. Mine has leaked from the hoses leading from the outside filler to the tank, but you've already checked there.

Ed Miller
'58 Apache short Fleetside half ton Napco
Falls City, OR

Re: Fuel smell in cab? [Re: enigmaT120] #635716 Wed Apr 07 2010 07:26 PM
L
lightflyer1 Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Seems like I got it. At lunch it didn't smell at all when I drove it. I will still replace the fuel filler and vent hoses though. Thanks for all the ideas!

A little gas makes a lot of fumes.

Re: Fuel smell in cab? [Re: lightflyer1] #636046 Thu Apr 08 2010 08:13 PM
N
Nifty 50 Offline
Shop Shark
If you do not believe that the vent or filler connections are leaking, you may not want to mess with them. I only got the bad fuel smell after I replaced them. The original ones were sealed up by being in place for 50 some years. New ones might not seal as well. Also I get fuel smell if tank is full and I make a sharp left. I believe gas shloshes into vent area in filler neck and disapates fumes until the gas evaporates. Look at it and I think you might see what I am talking about.

1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop