The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 registered members (tclederman, fonz8261, Jeler, olezippi, rickmg, 1 invisible), 319 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,536
Posts930,283
Members42,649
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Choke/Throttle [Re: Iron Clad] #629016 Mon Mar 15 2010 05:24 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
On a steep uphill pull in the summertime, set the throttle wide open in whatever gear it takes to pull the hill at walking speed or so, then climb out on the running board to steer and get away from the heat inside the cab. I've seen pictures of big rigs pulling the Grapevine Hill in California that way.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Choke/Throttle [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #629165 Mon Mar 15 2010 08:44 PM
N
Nifty 50 Offline
Shop Shark
I also believe that one of the intended uses for the throttle knob was running PTO equipment. All the AD 4 speed trucks have the side plate on tranny for mounting a PTO, not sure about the 3 spd's.

1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert
Re: Choke/Throttle [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #629171 Mon Mar 15 2010 08:57 PM
H
hotshoe36 Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
On a steep uphill pull in the summertime, set the throttle wide open in whatever gear it takes to pull the hill at walking speed or so, then climb out on the running board to steer and get away from the heat inside the cab. I've seen pictures of big rigs pulling the Grapevine Hill in California that way.
Jerry

An excellent time to put the spigot to use as well, draining spent coffee. On the 250 HP, 88,000# GVW semis I started on, there was no shortage of opportunities to get out. Sometimes you could walk faster than the truck was going..

1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Re: Choke/Throttle [Re: Iron Clad] #629742 Wed Mar 17 2010 04:07 PM
S
sdsmooth Offline
Apprentice
I used my throttle cable to inspect my truck while it rolled down the road as it was only going slowly it let me walk around it while I looked it over top to bottom to see if all things were correct and working properly.

Re: Choke/Throttle [Re: sdsmooth] #629758 Wed Mar 17 2010 05:15 PM
G
Grigg Offline
When I drove my 52 in the winter I'd get it started in the morning by using the choke as normal and as soon as possible push the choke all the way back in, set the throttle to run at a fast idle, then turn on the fan/heat. Go inside for breakfast and come back out to a nice and warm and defrosted truck.

I tried the throttle knob as a cruise control on long trips, it's not worth the trouble, and probably not all that safe or recommended either. Even in the mid west in the long flat and straight roads you still need to constantly adjust the throttle ever so slightly, so no point in using the one in the dash.

Grigg

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Re: Choke/Throttle [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #629780 Wed Mar 17 2010 07:46 PM
F
Ferndale53 Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Jerry

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of those pictures, would you? That sounds like it'd be interesting to see.

Re: Choke/Throttle [Re: Ferndale53] #629799 Wed Mar 17 2010 09:26 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Nope, they were on the wall of the office of a trucking company I drove for in California. Back in the late 40's and early 50's, 30 years before my time as a driver, Grapevine was a real challenge, 2-lane road in some places, lots of switchbacks, and "slow truck" lanes on the really steep parts. The big rigs were either running BIG gas engines, or some of the early Diesels like the Cummins 220. They usually had 5X4 transmissions, and sometimes a manual-shift 2-speed rear end to really give them some gear-splitting ability. 40 forward speeds!
Jerry

Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; Wed Mar 17 2010 09:28 PM.

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Choke/Throttle [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #629810 Wed Mar 17 2010 10:38 PM
C
crenwelge Offline
Shop Shark
That practice continued into the 60's. I bought my first 18 wheeler in March of 1964. We would stand out on the running board not only to get away from the heat, but on a 1st gear hill it wasn't that uncommon for a drive shaft or input shaft to break or an engine to blow up. We knew that we couldn't hold her on the hill and we wanted a head start on jumping clear of the darn thing. Film and photo developing cost money which no one had. And we thought the practice would last forever.

Re: Choke/Throttle [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #629846 Thu Mar 18 2010 12:42 AM
B
Big Yellow Offline
Apprentice
We used to use the throttle on our cattle truck in the field searching for newborn calves. You could set the throttle, get out of the cab & stand on the window opening to get a better view & to grab a hold of the steering wheel if need be. Hadn't thought about that in years!! Try it today & see what happens!!???

Re: Choke/Throttle [Re: Big Yellow] #629850 Thu Mar 18 2010 12:56 AM
1953 panel Offline
Shop Shark
Probably not done too much anymore because of safety issues. A friend of mine set his throttle while out in the field and had one of the kids steer while the rest of the kids helped with picking stones. Not long after, one of his kids fell and got run over.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop