The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (Elmo, DennisM, CATMAN, 51chris, Greg_H, 3B), 154 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics121,784
Posts981,732
Members44,304
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carb leak
#61684 Mon Jun 12 2006 04:22 PM
J
Wrench Fetcher
I installed a professionally rebuilt Holley/Weber a couple months ago and this weekend I noticed that the carb is spraying gas from the top gasket on the side opposite of the carb linkage under heavy acceleration. Could this be caused by to much fuel pressure or was something done wrong in the rebuild? I tightened the screws on the top of the carb and the spray lessened but was not eliminated. Should I remove the top and reapply the gasket?

Re: Carb leak
#61685 Mon Jun 12 2006 10:42 PM
W
Master Gabster
If it leaks when you move the throttle linkage it is the accel pump leaking through the gasket. You will have to remove the top of the carb & replace the gasket.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
#61686 Tue Jun 13 2006 02:25 PM
J
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks Wrenchbender. I will get a new gasket and put it on tonight.

Any ideas on why this happened? My thoughts are: The top of the carb was not on tight. I was able to turn all the screws at least a 1/2 turn after I noticed the leak. This would have caused a bad seal and that is enough to foul a gasket.

#61687 Tue Jun 13 2006 10:52 PM
W
Master Gabster
True. Some of the gaskets that come in the kits aren,t to good either. I used to have a lot of trouble with monojets that way.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
#61688 Wed Jun 14 2006 04:19 AM
J
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks Wrenchbender. It is good to have the tutelage of someone who has dealt with these things before... and as close as Lenexa.

#61689 Thu Jun 15 2006 03:08 PM
V
Shop Shark
Typically this is caused by DPO having warped the air horn by overtightening it instead of replacing an old dried up gasket .

If your new gasket doesn't fix the leak you can add a super thin bead of fuel proof Permatex sealant to both sides of the gasket before assembly , let it dry 24 hrs before use and be aware you'll need to soak the carby in alcohol to ge it apart next time .

I've saved several junker carbies this way .

-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop