The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 registered members (49 Dually, 66flea, gsharum, 69Cuda, delky, 1 invisible), 326 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,574
Posts930,657
Members42,658
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1956 GMC * #606676 Sun Jan 03 2010 09:32 AM
S
Shawng56 Offline OP
New Guy
I am beginning a restoration on this 1956 GMC Truck. It has a 270ci engine and a SM420 4 speed manual. I am finally starting to restore the truck, which we acquired in late 2006, and had parked in my garage since then.

The truck has been in my wife’s family since it was bought by her great grandfather in 1956. It was used to haul ice and wood in Payson, Arizona. The truck had been parked for many years until I towed it to our home in Peoria, Arizona.
I am amazed that there is really very little rust damage other than the cab corners. There is some surface rust, but overall I think I am fortunate not to have to do too much rust repair.

I intend to keep the truck mostly stock because I want people to see a good representation of what the truck looked like when it was new. However, I will make some modifications to the brakes, move the gas tank and add seat belts for safety reasons.

I am sure I have no idea of the headaches to come with this project, but I am glad I have this excellent resource to refer too when the time comes.

Front

Side

Engine

Last edited by J Lucas; Mon Jan 11 2010 05:51 AM.
Re: 1956 GMC [Re: Shawng56] #606677 Sun Jan 03 2010 09:41 AM
J
jockbolter50 Offline
Shop Shark
Hi Shawn,firstly welcome to the 'bolt.
It's great you have a truck with such good connections...at least you know it's history.
Thankfully the Az. climate seems to be kind to old iron so as you said,rust shouldn't be a huge issue.
If you plan to tear the truck down, bag and tag everything,just look through the forums and you'll see folks asking where certain parts go as they never did this!
(don't ask me how I know....)
Especially if your resto takes a while.
Good luck on your new 'journey'
Jock thumbs_up

I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop