The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (Fox, Perro, homer52, TooMany2count, 65c20kcmo, 1 invisible), 234 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,075
Posts961,667
Members43,548
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Barton American UA-50 Front Mount Pump
Mike B #700456 Fri Dec 03 2010 06:06 AM
M
Shop Shark
WOW!!!

That's one of the strangest, coolest Power Wagon Fire Trucks I've ever seen!!! I want one!

I'm gonna go with HOMEMADE. The Barton pump was commonly provided for self-installation (the directions for the pump include somewhat detailed how-tos for mounting the pump). The Hale pump on the rear is unique, never seen that model before. The rear bumper/ground sprayer bar also seems very homemade, especially how it's plumbed. The additional pump is redundant, as the Barton pump was designed to be engaged while the truck was in motion, though the fire service has always been into redundancy for reliability.

Everything about the truck looks like some very creative, high-level fabrication from a department that wanted to add a brush truck to their line-up, and had a Power-Wagon chassis to build it on. It's a really good looking truck, and I love that it's got single wheels in the rear. It's sorta like a Jeep on steroids.

-Michael

Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery
Mikestem #700497 Fri Dec 03 2010 03:22 PM
R
Shop Shark
I agree. That is a VERY cool truck!!

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

Life is like a roll of toilet paper--the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

Rich'sToys #700687 Sat Dec 04 2010 04:33 AM
V
vwlfan Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I have not worked on any of my vehicles much over the summer. I did tear down more of the spare barton pump but have not accessed the internal parts yet or started tracking down replacement bearings. If I finish the installing the new wiring harness on my '54 GMC COE this winter I will work on the pump.

I like those old power wagons. We have a few in the garage waiting for restoration.

There has been a power wagon based fire truck for sale in the Pittsburgh area for a few months now. A few years earlier than yours but similar in layout. This fire truck was "homegrown" from an original ambulance body (which is a shame as the orginal ambulance bodies with the spare tire inset and the pointed door frames are getting as hard to find).

Here is the add 1941 Dodge Power Wagon Fire Truck

vwlfan #700735 Sat Dec 04 2010 07:16 AM
F
New Guy
Yes, front mount pumps can be used while moving "pump and roll" in theory. In practice especially in rough ground you are going from idle to full throttle and so goes your pump pressures. The pump on the back was installed to maintain even pressures as the truck moves and fights fire off road.
Chief 2

FCFDChief 2 #701753 Wed Dec 08 2010 05:05 AM
M
Shop Shark
Chief 2,

Wow, that makes sense to me now. The Barton literature sure never says anything about THAT! Of course, they also sold a "portable" pump, suitable for the same purpose, so I guess you could have it both ways.

Thanks for the insight.

-Michael

In the Gallery
Mikestem #702671 Sat Dec 11 2010 10:28 PM
V
vwlfan Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Here is a portable American Barton pump for sale

Portable American Barton Fire Pump for Sale

These don't come up for sale very often. It was closer to home I would take a drive to look at it.

vwlfan #703105 Mon Dec 13 2010 04:39 PM
M
Shop Shark
Good find! Somebody ought to snatch that up - you're right, they DON'T come up that often.

I'd grab it, but I've got two already. Maybe I could upgrade on the one that's not running . . . I think they're great accessories for antique trucks, esp. rural trucks. AND, they're kinda fun! Put one on a golf cart, and you've got a real mini-pumper!

-Michael

In the Gallery
vwlfan #875076 Wed Aug 15 2012 09:15 PM
W
New Guy
I have a UA 50 on the front of my 59 international. I know of a guy with a 46 dodge fire truck and though it leaks from every seal it still pumps water. He uses it at a local steam show every year. I have not put water in my pump but the impeller was stuck, a little PB blaster and some motor oil and a few days later and a couple of taps and it was turning freely. Unless they are rusted completely they may well work great without a rebuild. I have to find a clean pond and operating instructions before I try to pump it. Bill

Wpauley #875157 Thu Aug 16 2012 08:35 AM
V
vwlfan Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Hi Bill,

I recently sold my 53 GMC Fire Truck.

When I had the truck I bought a spare Barton UA50 front mount pump with all of associated mounting and engine hardware.

I plan on selling the spare pump but if you need any pictures or photos while you work on yours let me know and I can take some of the spare I have. - Bob

vwlfan #875678 Sat Aug 18 2012 12:25 AM
M
Shop Shark
Bill,

I'm an American pump enthusiast, and if you'd like help getting yours pumping, I'd be thrilled to help out. Send me a Private Message (think you can click on my id and do it from a drop down?) and I'll get you my phone number.

I've got instructions for the Barton pumps. The UA50 is one of the simplest fire pumps to operate. I wouldn't worry too much about "clean ponds", either. Only problem with dirt and mud is it can make it harder to draft. But you're not likely to hurt the pump - they're made with drafting dirty water in mind.

-Michael

In the Gallery
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop