The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
24 registered members (ChevyDude, D B Cooper, Banjoman, 4 invisible), 354 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,453
Posts929,669
Members42,641
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Best A/C and stereo systems #597059 Tue Dec 01 2009 02:15 AM
J
jomichael Offline OP
Shop Shark
I was wondering what do you guys think the best, and most complete, kit for Air Conditioning I can find for my 55.2 Chevy 3100. It has a 350 in it. Also, I want a stereo system. I don't need a cassette or even CD for that matter, just the ability to hook up an iTouch or iPod. What do you think is the best? Do you think those kick panels with Pioneers are a good buy at $188? What other speakers could I put in the cab? I have seen under seat woofers, are those worth it?

Thanks for any info. you may have.
Michael

Re: Best A/C and stereo systems [Re: jomichael] #597470 Wed Dec 02 2009 06:20 AM
'
'66father/son Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Can't give you any advice about the a/c as I don't put any value on those systems here in MN, they just rob power...
As for the stereo, how much are you looking to spend? Pioneer and sony both have some good systems, I had a sony xplod in my old bug before I crashed it, and I loved it. I try to avoid speakers in the doors as they always seem to get beat up, and its one more set of wires going out into the door to go bad.

Re: Best A/C and stereo systems [Re: '66father/son] #597527 Wed Dec 02 2009 03:14 PM
J
jomichael Offline OP
Shop Shark
I don't want to cut up my dash so I think that is going to limit my choices. I looked at the ones from Classic Parts and Brothers and they seem to work with an iPod and no need to cut up the dash. Just wondering if there are any other vendors out there to consider. Luckily, the kick panels wouldn't place the speaker in the door, it would be down by the vents. I could see them getting pretty beat up like you said.

Re: Best A/C and stereo systems [Re: jomichael] #597915 Thu Dec 03 2009 04:04 PM
'
'66father/son Offline
Wrench Fetcher
There are also these from LMC, I don't have any experience with oe style radios, I've always just modified the dash, or mounted the stereo somewhere else (custom consoles mostly).

Re: Best A/C and stereo systems [Re: '66father/son] #597926 Thu Dec 03 2009 04:27 PM
J
jomichael Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks, that may be the ticket.

Re: Best A/C and stereo systems [Re: jomichael] #598225 Fri Dec 04 2009 06:16 PM
M
mobileortho Offline
Shop Shark
Classic Parts carries some also. They have the radio and the a/c.

Robert C.
Think critically, grow spiritually, change your world..

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Re: Best A/C and stereo systems [Re: mobileortho] #601501 Tue Dec 15 2009 09:32 PM
I
iceburgh Offline
Wrench Fetcher
A/C go with Vintage Air they sell a kit that has everything and can be installed in one aftrenoon and is made to fit. All you need is to crimp a few lines at a hose shop if you dont have a crimpper.

Re: Best A/C and stereo systems [Re: iceburgh] #602035 Thu Dec 17 2009 01:54 PM
D
Desert_buick Offline
Wrench Fetcher
http://www.soundmove.com/secretaudio.htm. I think this is the neatest thing since sliced bread. No cutting up a dash, iPod friendly (direct connection) - it's got it all.

[b]1957 Chevy Big Window 3100[.b]

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Picasa

It ain't broke 'til you can't fix it any more.
Re: Best A/C and stereo systems [Re: Desert_buick] #602409 Fri Dec 18 2009 08:48 PM
N
Nifty 50 Offline
Shop Shark
I cannot speak to the SecretAudio, but I have had Custom Auto Sound and other made to fit and look original stereo headunits in vintage vehicles I have owned. In my opinion the sound quality and performance of these types of units suffer greatly. They seem to put their money into making them fit and know they have you by the lower regions in regard to you not wanting to cut up your rig. Basic modern head units costing less than half of these items have all the feature s you want with better sound quality in my opinion.

I have a HD radio Sony unit mounted under the seat in my '50 that came with a remote. I bought a remote repeater from a local stero shop that basically pipes the remote signal from a small unseen location under the dash to the system under the seat, (I think it was $30.00.) A cable for my iPod comes up from under the seat as well. I just have the delete plate in the dash. Stereo speakers behind the original dash speaker grill and in the rear cab corners. It could really use a subwoofer under the seat, (these metal cabs are a bit tinny.) Looking in the truck you would not think a stereo is in there.

All I have is a small remote with volume, tone, radio changer and power. I hang it on the thottle knob. I can't see the unit so, I have to cycle through my presets on the radio, but not a problem. In addition the unit has all the modern lights and graphics that I wouldn't want to see in my truck anyway. The iPod selections are of course on the seat next to me. Works well and I believe I have less than $400.00 in the whole setup, (excluding the iPOD.)

Last edited by Nifty 50; Fri Dec 18 2009 08:50 PM.

1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert
Re: Best A/C and stereo systems [Re: Nifty 50] #603392 Tue Dec 22 2009 07:39 AM
P
PapaJ Offline
Shop Shark
Nifty 50, Do you have pictures of your radio? I'd like to see how it was mounted.

1953 Chevy Two-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Be careful calling yourself a expert,because an "EX" is a hasbeen and a"SPERT" is a drip under pressure.

Moderated by  Rusty46 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop