The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Thanksgiving

Much to be
thankful for

YOU!
The Stovebolt Collective

Thankfulness year 'round.
All around!
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (Stovebold6), 64 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,652
Posts1,046,325
Members46,394
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Wrench Fetcher
Originally Posted by red58
the washer pumping mechanism,is NOT vacuum

Wrong again Bill. dang
http://members.cox.net/images4755/windshield%20washer%20vacuum.jpg

Bubba - Curmudgeon
big_eek

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
F
Extreme Gabster
and that pump [bottle top] is from ???

funny that the "RPO987549 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS CO-ORDINATED FOOT PUMP WINDSHIELD WASHER (ELECTRIC)" shows no vacuum hookup or 'reserve tank' involved in the washer for the electric wipers ohwell I give, obviously mothertrucker is the eggspert here since he moved to California wink

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Bubba - Curmudgeon

Bill,

I might have misstated the use of vacuum with the earlier (54/55-1st truck) foot-lever operated windshield washers with electric wipers. There was no vacuum and no electric pump on the 54/55 Commercial vehicle (truck) washer unit.

My comments/questions are directed to the use of an electric pump in the 57 truck - it looks like your photo shows a non-electric foot pump (as used in 54/55).

You are correct that a vacuum hook-up is not apparent in most of the diagrams in the instructions you linked-to; however, electrical connections also do not seem to be apparent in those diagrams.

1954/55 truck (and car) cable-coordinated foot-pump operated windshield washer

Note the similarieties between the 1957 unit and the 1954/55 unit (at the link above)

The cable connection (the foot-pump co-ordinator) to the 1954/55 electric wiper motor is just like the set-up shown in the 1957 truck diagram.

All 1954 automobile washer units used vacuum to the water reservoir and sometimes to a vacuum cylinder as a co-ordinator (when equipped with a push-button control as apposed to a turn-knob control).

Tim
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
F
Extreme Gabster
I agree Tim, the misunderstanding was linguistic ... the difference between operated and activated - and the fact that the foot operated pump for electric wipers, also activates the wipers when used .... I should have been more careful, knowing some here have a tendency to misinterpret my posts where possible ohwell

yes, the 57 setup appears to be the same as the earlier .... likely the reservoir was used with the vacuum wipers so both wipers and washer pump would have enough vacuum to function, don't see there'd be a need for it with electric wipers

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
G
'Bolter
The 57 kit looks for the most part like the 54 kit Tim posted instructions for. I had an NOS 57 kit and just sent the instructions to Tim if he wants to post them. The bottle holder is different than 54, The jar lid is the same as 54 with exception of the two connections pointing the same direction vs. opposite directions, and the foot pump has a rubber foot pedal pad that the 54 does not have. The cable that goes from foot pump to wiper motor also has a different end. Straight across vs. the angled up on the 54. The lid in the link shown looks very little like the lid in the 57 NOS kit that I had.

Last edited by Greg_H; Sat Dec 05 2009 06:38 PM. Reason: final comment
Bubba - Curmudgeon

From Greg Hill:

1957 Chevrolet Truck Windshield Washer, for use with electric wiper

Tim
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop