The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
What's going on?
What's happening?

Find out in
THE SHOPS !

Genearl Truck Talk
20,267 threads; 177,521 posts
The Engine Shop
32,460 threads; 255,065 post
Driveline
8,796 threads; 65,970 posts
The Electrical Bay
9,505 threads; 74,285 posts
Sub: The Radio Bench
The HiPo Shop
5,040 threads; 46,029 posts
Paint & Body Shop
12,505 threads; 81,120 posts
Sub: The Doors
Interiors
4,059 threads; 26,817 posts
The Tool Chest
1,762 threads; 26,817 posts
Making a Stovebolt Bed
1,052 threads; 6,659 posts
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (tom moore), 61 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,612
Posts1,041,914
Members46,061
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Wrench Fetcher
Although it is one of the nicest burbs I have seen...
I must nit pick alittle { only because the guy wants $65,000 for it.

Cheesy radio.
Hood fit to fenders & cowl leaves alot to be desired.
Used the cheapo chinese belt line tail lights rather than the original Guide lights.
Cheapo $10 chrome directional switch on steering column.
Choke & throttle control knobs are mounted in the wrong places.
No rubber seal between the rear splash apron & rear bumper.
Fuse cover on the firewall is missing.
Front motor mounts on the side of the block denote a car motor ...not a truck motor {so much for the all original driveline claim }.
Fuel filter to carb is all wrong.
The inner skins of the rear doors have dents that were just painted over.
Rubber stops on rear doors are missing so no doubt they will rattle like crazy & might even fly open while driving.
Pin stripe around the beltline is the wrong thickness & positioned in the wrong place around the beltline.
Rear door taillight is mounted wrong.... the bracket between the rubber gasket & door is supposed to be on the inside of the door.

Its a nice starting place but, this truck would need alot of fine tuning to get it even close to the asking price.

Bubba - Curmudgeon

3M,

Thanks for starting this list. I made a list but you hit most of them (and more). Here's a few others (only posting these because of the $67K minimum nono ):

- plastic-coated wiring
- white-wall tires
- chrome strip on hood
- knobs on window-regulator handles
- rear tail/stop base-plate color (or, is this supposed to be inside the door)?
- outside mirror style
- 60 psi oil pressure gauge (30psi - it still has an original-style low-pressure 216)
- inner sides of rear doors have lots of little dents
- hood side-emblems (missing the 3100 plates)?

Tim

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
G
GMONIZ Offline OP
Master Gabster
Hey guys I was refraining from picking this one apart. If we do, we should provide documentation or pictures to show the discrepancies. I agree with what has been said, but for those who want to learn need more information.

The gauges are incorrect because Chevrolet used a 30# oil pressure with the 216 and GMC used a 60# oil pressure gauge with their full pressure 228.

Also Chevrolet used a 212 temperature gauge while GMC use a 220 degree gauge. Chevrolet adopted the 220 degree gauge in 1953.

The most blatant discrepancy to me is the use of the chrome moulding down the hood. No where can you find in original documentation a chrome hood strip.

There is lot's of little things wrong as you have both pointed out. The hood latch and the rear door checks have been painted. The coil is blue instead of black. He used carpet in the back and carpet under the jump seat. The 1947/53 Suburban back floor originally had a tan battleship linoleum with grooves and there was a black mat under the jump seat, although I have never seen a complete front mat in a suburban. The overflow tube located on the cowl is too long, it should be about 3 inches shorter!

The interior color looks to me to be off. The dash seems to be more of a satin finish and the brown on the seat frames looks to be muted too.

Unfortunately this post will expire once the pictures are no longer available. As I have suggested before, we need to put together an archive that can retrieve good information like Tim and mothertrucker have provided for all of us to review in the future.

I would not pay 67K for any car or truck let alone a truck I would be afraid to drive like this one. I don't think most people can build one for less than $30,000 as nice as this one though. It is a little disappointing that he used so many reproduction parts though!

Shop Shark
I really like the detail ya'll have! This will really help when I go back together with my burb. Thanks!

1954 Chevy 3100
1952 Chevy Suburban
Bubba - Curmudgeon

George,

The photo through the back door shows a grooved/ribbed tan floormat (unless that is a grooved carpet?). That looks good to me. Thich tan linoleum is still available in the USA. I wish the black linoleum was available for those of us with 54/55 Suburbans.

Tim

Tim
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
G
GMONIZ Offline OP
Master Gabster
Tim, I enlarged the picture of the view of the space between the two rear seats, and to me this looks like striped carpet. The lines appear to be on top of the material and not grooved. Look at the front floor mat and you can see the grooves, so I am sure that the camera used had the ability to show the grooves in the back if they were there.

Who is making the battleship linoleum in large enough sheets for the suburban? I had a guy that was interested in making it by hand a few years ago, but I had no takers at the time. I didn't want to put a lot of money up front without any demand.

This DEALER sells it in black too. But he does not provide a picture of the product nor the available sizes. I think this was the guy that I contacted several years ago and he sold them in smaller pieces than we needed for the suburban. I also think his product is smooth and not ribbed.

Tim do you agree that we need to develop an archive that is useful on the Stovebolt? I like what Rob did on oldgmctrucks.com by having "The Hall of Fame" section.

I have removed thousands of old posts over the years that were no longer valid or had expired links. I did that because every time I tried to use the search feature I just got lot's of garbage including expired swapmeet ads.

Bubba - Curmudgeon

George,

The company at your link Battleship Linoleum had the tan (brown) linoleum that was wide enough for the suburban and thick enough to route grooves in it. He did not have the black linoleum in a thickness that could be routed/grooved.

The seller is quite friendly and informative. He has an old article on how to make a jog in order to route the grooves in the thicker linoleum.

The linoleum was made in two thicknesses and the thicker rolls were no longer being imported (from Scotland, via Canada). I bought 8' of the thinner black linoleum. It was plenty wide for my Suburban.

Tim

Tim
Bubba - Curmudgeon

George,

Regarding an archive of informative posts, that's a good idea. It would also be nice to be able to archive the photos, but there might be copyright issues.

Tim

Tim
Extreme Gabster
For what it's worth, here's what's left of the floor mat under my jump seat. I have no idea if it is original.

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website
G
GMONIZ Offline OP
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by cletis
For what it's worth, here's what's left of the floor mat under my jump seat. I have no idea if it is original.

That's what I suspected that they would look like. You still have the piece that goes under the mounting rail too. Can I save this for future reference? Thanks

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop