The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 registered members (glennj3, KEVINSKI, 47bolter, Cosmo, 2 invisible), 146 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,502
Posts930,038
Members42,646
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Frame Paint [Re: Rich'sToys] #580050 Sat Oct 03 2009 06:24 AM
D
Dan in Pasadena Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Originally Posted by Rich'sToys
...By the way--I wish I did live down the block from you (or any of these other guys). We'd be shooting the breeze all the time!!

Kinda like we're doing now? The beauty of the internet. Gawd knows there are enough nightmares that come out of it. Some good oughta come too.

Re: Frame Paint [Re: Dan in Pasadena] #582772 Tue Oct 13 2009 12:35 AM
D
Doug9656 Offline
Wrench Fetcher
I am a professional marine painter/blaster/powdercoat guy. It's how I make my living. And no I can't do anything at work even for myself!
Sandblasting is the BEST way to prep most any metal for paint; even sheet metal if you use the right media and turn down the pressure.
I haven't yet learned about this POR-15 product but as concerns toxicity; anything you apply to protect your metal is most likely toxic. Most respirators are for ORGANIC (at one time it was alive)materials, inorganic products will go through organic filter media in your respirator; so always ask for the "product Data Sheet" and the MSDS for stuff your going to use. You can learns tons of stuff from them.
I can tell you powdercoating is very tough but chips like paint because it's so hard! It can sanded and it can be touched up with paint as well.
For show vehicles I would powdercoat, for daily drivers I would consider paint as it's easier to repair as it sands easier and the right kind of paint might be a little more mallable and not chip so much.

Last edited by Doug9656; Tue Oct 13 2009 12:43 AM.

1999 GMC Yukon
1957 GMC 100 Panel
Re: Frame Paint [Re: Doug9656] #582778 Tue Oct 13 2009 12:47 AM
L
LONGBOX55 Offline
Master Gabster
PPOR 15 is only really a problem if you spray it. Brushing it on a respirator isn't needed.

Bill Burmeister
Re: Frame Paint [Re: LONGBOX55] #583296 Wed Oct 14 2009 05:56 PM
46 HalfTon Offline
Shop Shark
I used a respirator even when brushing it on. It is pretty toxic stuff and the smell is nearly unbearable. I am very pleased with the outcome though as the frame looks brand spanking new. Then again I did put about 30 hours into it. YIKES!

Re: Frame Paint [Re: 46 HalfTon] #583357 Wed Oct 14 2009 08:40 PM
S
Super55 Offline
Shop Shark
I like Zero Rust. There is a review on the tech pages here on the stovebolt. It can be brushed or sprayed and doesn't have the "nasties" as in POR-15. Check out their page:

http://www.zero-rust.com/

Best thing is I found it locally at KMS Tools in BC. I don't have to wait

A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin

When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Re: Frame Paint [Re: Super55] #583623 Thu Oct 15 2009 08:31 PM
N
Nifty 50 Offline
Shop Shark
I used Zero-Rust as well. I was pleased with the results, it has been a few years and holding up well. It was cheaper and less toxic than POR15. It can be sprayed also.
Steve

1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert
Re: Frame Paint [Re: Nifty 50] #583644 Thu Oct 15 2009 11:47 PM
M
marklaken Offline
New Guy
i like masterseries CT and rustbullet for frames - brush on products are bonus and make nice "frame on" winter projects as long as you have some garage heat:

http://www.masterseriesct.com/

http://www.rustbullet.com/Products/Automotive/Automotive.asp

Re: Frame Paint [Re: marklaken] #592851 Mon Nov 16 2009 04:12 AM
T
tyler h Offline
Shop Shark
how about tremclad? i believe it is a rustoleum product,and maybe it is a canadian product.any of you canadian fellas tremclad your chassis'?

Re: Frame Paint [Re: tyler h] #592853 Mon Nov 16 2009 04:31 AM
F
Flxible Offline
Extreme Gabster
yes Tremclad will do the job ... it was Canadian, but was bought out by Rustoleum, so might not be quite what it used to be

I too think Zero Rust is great stuff

Bill

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Re: Frame Paint [Re: Flxible] #592918 Mon Nov 16 2009 01:24 PM
G
glasman Offline
Shop Shark
It's nice to hear what you all like for paint but I didn't see much on how long it will last.
I'm willing to bet those high dollar paints will last, else why spend that much money for frame paint.
So here's a history lesson showing the test of time.
Back in the early 70's, I didn't even think of high dollar paint so I went and got Rustoleum red primer and Rusto enamel and gave my frame and suspension two coats of each.
Prior to painting it was just a wire wheel clean up,maybe some sandpaper here and there cause I didn't own a sandblaster yet.
Now this car was not a show car, but a limited street driver.
I always drove it but very little in the winter,wide tires didn't work well in the snow.
I just went out to the garage and looked to make sure I ain't blowin smoke up your differential and that paint is still there and it still has gloss to it.
I can't remember if they had semi-gloss paint 37 years ago nor did anyone care much back then trying to stay with a stock look, because it was customize everything back then.
Now I'm not trying to pump up Rusto paints, I'm just giving you a test of time report on a low dollar way to paint and what happened with it 37 years later.
If I'd wash the dirt off it would look really good cause there is NO RUST.

Dan

Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop