The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (justmike, Jimmie D), 323 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,528
Posts930,197
Members42,646
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What tires to put on 54 3100 [Re: Airy Cat] #579619 Thu Oct 01 2009 09:36 PM
N
Nifty 50 Offline
Shop Shark
Also with generally stock trucks of this era, remember that taller wheels and tires gives you less engine rpm at a given speed and wider tires up front are harder to turn at low speed with manual steering.

1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert
Re: What tires to put on 54 3100 [Re: Nifty 50] #580906 Tue Oct 06 2009 05:40 AM
S
Sedgewick Offline
Shop Shark
I have written about this before and am sure I will get pro and con answers. I have 650-16 bias ply tires on my stock 1949 half ton. I wanted (or thought I wanted) radial tires and saw some 215-85R16 but they were pricey and required (according to manufacturer's specs) a 6.5" rim width.
So to alleviate the problem I bought new bias ply tires. Do I like them? Yes. Would I consider radial tires in the future? Yes.
The new bias ply tires (at least mine) do not flat spot, run quietly but do track but it is something you get used to. I normally drive back roads at 35-45 mph but recently have been hitting the highway cruising at 55 mph.
At a recent cruise-in I met two fellows with bias ply tires on their 62 Corvette and 67 Chevelle. Both had gone to radials but did not like them on their applications so switched back.
If I go to radials I would need a wider rim.
I had radial tires on my 53 half ton and they ran fairly well but parking or turning at slow speeds caused a lot of stress on the steering and my arms. With the narrower bias ply it is like power steering when it comes to parking.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop