The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (tclederman, bowtietim, 5 Window 9434, JiMerit Boltr#43, matthews940, 1 invisible), 320 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics116,116
Posts923,327
Members42,345
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How much sand will be needed to sandblast frame #577399 Thu Sep 24 2009 02:07 AM
S
smokey_truck Offline OP
Shop Shark
Today I bought a 40lb HF sandblaster couldnot afford more. I bought black sand from Tractor supplies about 2 50lb. How much sand will be needed to sandblast frame rather how much can a 50 lb bag will do.

Thanks in advance!!

Ganesh

Re: How much sand will be needed to sandblast frame [Re: smokey_truck] #577411 Thu Sep 24 2009 02:23 AM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
smokey truck, my 52 chassis took 400 lb. My chassis was in pretty bad shape. Not long ago I used 600 lb on one that was worst than mine!

Did you buy black sand....or was it Black Diamond from TSC. Around here the Black Diamond from Tractor supply is 8.50 a bag.... I can buy the fine sand for 3.28 a bag and its true blasting sand and has been sized to flow good. I get it at the concrete/mixing place.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: How much sand will be needed to sandblast frame [Re: Achipmunk] #577416 Thu Sep 24 2009 02:28 AM
S
smokey_truck Offline OP
Shop Shark
I bought black diamond sand from TSC, sorry new to this. 400LB is not too bad, I have to find a place for that I dont know much but will find it

Thanks
Ganesh

Last edited by smokey_truck; Thu Sep 24 2009 02:29 AM.
Re: How much sand will be needed to sandblast frame [Re: smokey_truck] #577685 Fri Sep 25 2009 12:42 AM
G
gmbs Offline
New Guy
Make sure to wear proper gear!! You don't want to get silicosis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis.

I'm almost done blasting my 1955(2nd) 3600 frame. It looks like I'll use five hundred pounds of fine nickel slag.

Re: How much sand will be needed to sandblast frame [Re: gmbs] #578697 Tue Sep 29 2009 01:45 AM
M
Modelman Offline
Shop Shark
Smokey-Truck

These pics will give you some idea, I used 68 bags @50lbs per bag
(3400 pounds) of sand on the frame, all he suspention, driveshaft,inner fenders etc. see the pictures, took the beter part of two days.

AND if you notice the size of the compressor YES, it's an industrial Leroi Road Jackhammer compressor mated to a 1,500 gallon tank. He did not have a deadman valve. I was more scared of letting loose of the hose than anything.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/414770881SjvNdM

Last edited by V-6 Fix Modelman; Tue Sep 29 2009 01:48 AM.

1960 GMC 305A V-6 Gallery Page

Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.

BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html
Re: How much sand will be needed to sandblast frame [Re: Modelman] #578768 Tue Sep 29 2009 04:18 AM
C
crenwelge Offline
Shop Shark
It makes no difference what kind of media you use, you need to use a supplied air helmet. I have a Bullard that I used when we still hauled fertilizer and had to blast and paint a lot. I still have a 600 lb. pot and I doubt that I will ever blast again. Its very hard work. If you do blast, make sure you degrease everything first. If you don't, you will beat the grease into the metal. Sand blasting is for rust and paint removal, not grease removal. Also, if you do blast, primer it immediately. It will rust over night.

Re: How much sand will be needed to sandblast frame [Re: crenwelge] #578808 Tue Sep 29 2009 12:30 PM
D
Denny Graham Offline
Extreme Gabster
Looked at all 45 pictures Jake, I gotta say, you da king of the sandblasters man. I think the only items that you dint sandblast were the tires and windows. And I gotta say also, you're a real a glutten for punishment. After doing one rear fender on a hot summer day, with a $200 fresh air hood from TCP using a 110 lb. pressure pot from HF, several guns and nozzles from both places and god knows how much wear and tear on my 80 gallon 5 hp craftsman compressor, to me it's a bargan to take anything up to the commercial blaster in town and let him do it.
I did have the front clip chemicaly stripped this summer and I'm convinced that is the only way to go from now on, no matter what it costs.
I have over my past 67 years sand blasted a LOT of items that would fit into a blast cabinet. Most of the places that I have worked have had blast cabinets that we could use if we kept them up and did it on our own time. That's not to bad and if I had one of those here at home now that I'm retired, I'd blast a lot of the small items myself, but from now on, the big jobs, out of doors, free in the air sand blasting is gonna be left up to the big boys.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Re: How much sand will be needed to sandblast frame [Re: Denny Graham] #578821 Tue Sep 29 2009 01:26 PM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
.... Denny, you hit the nail on the head. I think you all may remember I sold my NEW pressure pot after I got done with the chassis. Like Denny said, for the money, time, headaches, and total useage..... if it won't fit in my blasting cabinet it goes to the big boys!... in my case its the local monument place. I would have SAVED money had I let them do my blasting not to mention staying out of the 102 degree hot sun.
Just my hard earned .02

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: How much sand will be needed to sandblast frame [Re: Achipmunk] #579182 Wed Sep 30 2009 06:37 PM
S
smokey_truck Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks guys for all the input, now I am nervous to start the blasting, I guess I should save money to go the big boys, it costs me 500 bucks for getting it done but I am one man army, moving the frame and all that seems like a challenge

Well I will try

Ganesh

Re: How much sand will be needed to sandblast frame [Re: smokey_truck] #579335 Thu Oct 01 2009 02:26 AM
M
Modelman Offline
Shop Shark
Smokey,

Here's a phrase I leaned a while back "When you're broke it cheaper to do it yourself" THAT's why I blasted my frame and stuff, it was just the cost of the sand, paint and gas for the compressor.

I've learn to saveup my money now.

Jake

1960 GMC 305A V-6 Gallery Page

Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.

BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fourbrads, HandyAndy 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop