The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 registered members (68ironhead, Homer58, Hookalatch, Forty9, darthintel, 1 invisible), 112 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,445
Posts929,577
Members42,639
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Assemble and paint or pain and assemble? [Re: Britcon] #577606 Thu Sep 24 2009 05:30 PM
Tiny Offline
Global Mod
If you're going with a non metallic color I would recommend painting the parts separate and then assembling them. That way all of the parts get completely painted. Yes it requires a bit of care when assembling but you end up with a better paint job. If you are going with a high metallic color it's better to paint everything at once, on the vehicle because of the difficulty in getting a good color match. MHO

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Re: Assemble and paint or pain and assemble? [Re: Tiny] #577626 Thu Sep 24 2009 07:12 PM
B
Builder Offline
Shop Shark
What about painting the edges and back sides, hidden areas, etc. that you want to have paint and then assemble it and then give it a final paint job on the rest of the exposed body panels?

Re: Assemble and paint or pain and assemble? [Re: Builder] #577630 Thu Sep 24 2009 07:54 PM
Tiny Offline
Global Mod
There's nothing wrong with that if you don't mind a bit of dry overspray in areas (back of the cab, front of the bed, door jambs etc.).

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Re: Assemble and paint or pain and assemble? [Re: Tiny] #577705 Fri Sep 25 2009 01:50 AM
J
jomichael Offline
Shop Shark
I painted the underside of my cab, the firewall, the inner fenders and all the inside of my fenders then put it all together. Now all I have to do is sand and paint the outside. It was my plan from the beginning.

Re: Assemble and paint or pain and assemble? [Re: Britcon] #577926 Fri Sep 25 2009 10:25 PM
N
Nifty 50 Offline
Shop Shark
Be careful to note 46 HalfTon's advice if you are painting it disassembled. I disassembled, blasted, stripped or sanded to bare metal, then epoxy primed, then body work and disassemble/re-assemble for what seemed like a hundred times to get everything to fit right, then painted disassembled and put back together. Do not do your first fit after painting. It seems like stuff that fit perfect when you took it apart just plain changes, even without body work.

1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert
Re: Assemble and paint or pain and assemble? [Re: Nifty 50] #578050 Sat Sep 26 2009 03:00 PM
J
jomichael Offline
Shop Shark
Boy, do I agree with Nifty 50 on that one!

Re: Assemble and paint or pain and assemble? [Re: jomichael] #578194 Sun Sep 27 2009 03:27 AM
S
smokey_truck Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks Guys lot of good advise, I was thinking of stripping,disassemble, body work, 2k primer, assemble and paint

I am too nerves about painting and assembly

Ganesh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fourbrads, HandyAndy 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop