The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Joe W, Stooby, klhansen), 278 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,172
Posts923,798
Members42,360
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Definitive Suspension list for Stovebolts [Re: Scott Danforth] #908752 Fri Jan 04 2013 10:46 PM
B
Bread Offline
Shop Shark
Gents,
I have went with TCI kit for the front and back end of my 39' truck. I was wanting a daily driver w/dependability that I'll stay on the road while keeping up with traffic. The kits I have are designed for the truck so all I had to do was follow the instructions provided and the the supervision of my good friend that was overlooking the work.

Bread

Mustang II,
4 link rear,
TCI

Re: Definitive Suspension list for Stovebolts [Re: Scott Danforth] #911732 Mon Jan 14 2013 06:11 PM
B
BossHawg Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Someone pointed me in the direction of a company that makes Mustang 2 kits that are a good bit cheaper than most if not all of the companies I've looked at. I've contacted him through email and he currently doesn't make corvette kits due to not having many people call wanting to use them but he offered to send a proposal.
Gayleco

Last edited by BossHawg; Mon Jan 14 2013 06:29 PM.
Re: Definitive Suspension list for Stovebolts [Re: Scott Danforth] #919179 Mon Feb 11 2013 08:25 PM
S
Scott Danforth Offline OP
Shop Shark
having hung a few of the corvette components under a few vehicles, the aluminum a-arms and a-arm pivots are known to bend if you hit a good pot-hole.

I would stick with a good tubular A-arm under a truck.

The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Re: Definitive Suspension list for Stovebolts [Re: Scott Danforth] #919299 Tue Feb 12 2013 10:59 AM
D
Dogface Offline
Shop Shark
Great thread. I'm just getting some safety issues resolved but have this IFS conversion on my mind. I looked at the Gayleco web site and it appears that his kit does not include R&P steering but I coulda missed it...was a quick look. The CPP kit includes power R&P for about $2100

Edit: Guess I was incorrect about the R&P steering.... I would love to hear from guys who have used this kit...significant savings...

Last edited by Dogface; Tue Feb 12 2013 11:05 AM.

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Re: Definitive Suspension list for Stovebolts [Re: Scott Danforth] #923449 Wed Feb 27 2013 07:47 PM
R
R-Bo Offline
Shop Shark
Going with a No Limit Fatbar 4-link and F*rd 8.8 on the rear of my Task Force. Fatman MII on the front, they are local so I was compelled to use them on at least one end.

Starting on the rear soon, just finished up mocking in the 21 gal aluminum No Limit EFI tank.

R-Bo

1959 Apache 1/2 ton Big Window, Short bed Fleetside (under reconstruction)
1966 GMC 305V6 in the family
Re: Definitive Suspension list for Stovebolts [Re: Scott Danforth] #934778 Thu Apr 11 2013 07:16 AM
V
vickraft Offline
Shop Shark
As a first time builder doing a complete frame off, I also installed IFS kit from TCI in my 51 Chevy shortbox build. I think for the price,quality and doing what its designed to, they have got it right. Handles quite nicely. I wouldn't hasitate to use this kit again.

Re: Definitive Suspension list for Stovebolts [Re: Scott Danforth] #935920 Mon Apr 15 2013 03:25 PM
C
Canada_Rob Offline
New Guy
Using a Welder Series Mustang 2 crossmember on the front of my '49 chevy pickup. Automotive origami!
http://www.welderseries.com/online-store/category/mustang-ii-crossmember-kits/

Haven't bought the other front end components as yet.
Speedway has some very interesting pricing though

Been looking at this setup from full tilt hotrods for the rear.
http://www.fulltiltstreetrods.com/rearsusp.htm
This system looks really tidy in the pictures and appears to be fairly easy to setup. it bolts to the factory front spring hanger holes. Has anyone tried this setup out?

I have a '96 F*rd explorer 8.8 rear axle with disk brakes, limited slip and 3.73 gears.

It is all going to sit on airbags.
I'm leaning towards the "Plug-n-Play" compressor system with height control.

Rob

Re: Definitive Suspension list for Stovebolts [Re: Scott Danforth] #937630 Mon Apr 22 2013 01:15 PM
R
Roadmarks Offline
Shop Shark
Scott, If you want to add this, here it is.

The crossmembers from 1963 through 1987/8 will will interchange, as will steering boxes. "A" arms will, too as will spindles. Be aware there are differences in tie rod ends, "A" arm bushings, and ball joints across the years. 1/2T fits1/2T; 3/4T fits 3/4T. I don't know about 1T. In Power Steering, somewhere around 1980 GM went metric on the steering box and pump fittings. Some of the venders have adapter tie rod ends that fit late spindles and early tie rods for 1/2Ts. All the 3/4T joints, bushings, and ends SEEM to be the same.

Power steering must use power steering pitman arm and standard steering must use standard steering pitman arm!

1960 through 1962 are totally different. I have no idea what fits what there.

Best wishes,

Les

Last edited by Roadmarks; Mon Apr 22 2013 01:20 PM.
Re: Definitive Suspension list for Stovebolts [Re: Scott Danforth] #946770 Thu May 30 2013 08:25 AM
D
Dogface Offline
Shop Shark
Front IFS is done and I really like the changes in safety and driveability but it still rides like a buckboard... Yes, I realize it is 49 tech behind the IFS so what changes should I make for the rear? I want to change over to modern tube shocks, but what else ?....new leaf springs ? What have all you old time truckers done?

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Re: Definitive Suspension list for Stovebolts [Re: Scott Danforth] #950750 Sun Jun 16 2013 09:29 PM
S
Shamus Offline
Shop Shark
I have a TCI MII w/power R&P (10-12 yrs old)under the front & a Chassis Engineering leaf spring kit under the rear of my 1st '55 w/'80 Camaro 10 bolt. It rides great - smooth. I did knock the alignment out 2 years ago on a trip to NYC & Boston because of all the pot holes, dips, rises & other failings of big city roads. Had it re-aligned & great since. I'll be making that trip again in a couple of weeks but will take it easy on the FDR (SURELY THE WORST ROAD IN THE COUNTRY). Rides and handles as good as my '93 Chevrolet Sport Truck & '04 Tahoe but a lot more fun. I have a similar set up under my '56 3100 (front & back TCI) that is not quite finished. TCI usually has some good buys at the bigger shows thru their network of venders. Free shipping. Their current MII is improved over mine to prevent alignment being knocked out.

'55 1st series, '67 CST, '93 Sport Truck.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop