The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 registered members (4100 Fire Truck, 52Carl, carbking, 52_Ton, cmayna, 1 invisible), 311 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,562
Posts930,548
Members42,654
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Motivation #562568 Thu Aug 06 2009 01:59 PM
G
GMCAMARO Offline OP
Shop Shark
So, I have taken my 59, Fleetside completely apart. I blasted the frame with black beauty. Every thing that could go wrong has gone wrong. I mean tools break with a regularity, I have never seen. Air tools, hand tools, electric tools. You name it has broken. Everything I have done I have been forced to do twice or get help.

The thing about this is, I am loosing motivation. I have a lot of mechanical experience. I am not in any way new to cars, body work and welding are relatively new to me, but mechanical's all my life I have worked on cars or other things. I was born with 1/2 inch wrench in my hand. Not an adjustable but a real 1/2". The replacement of tools and parts is putting a strain on me financially. The wife has been absolutely fantastic about the money, but me it is bothering. Also she is working to pay for all of this, I am unemployed. I am posting this because I am either looking for some motivational help or let me know what you need.

It's a 59 big window with a 283. 3 speed, with the original radio.

Last edited by GMCAMARO; Thu Aug 06 2009 02:00 PM.
Re: Motivation [Re: GMCAMARO] #562582 Thu Aug 06 2009 02:56 PM
51 ashton Offline
Shop Shark
for me keeping motivational is a pot of coffee, some cigars and a vision of the finished product. there are times i have felt the way you have. i just step back re evaluate things and take a break. at some point in time things will start to fall back into place and that in itself for me motivates me again to go forward.

Re: Motivation [Re: 51 ashton] #562588 Thu Aug 06 2009 03:22 PM
3B Offline
Master Gabster
Hy GMCAMARO, sometimes you just have to walk away from a project for awhile, only you can decide if you want to ultimatly continue with it, or sell it. You should have something to do with yourself, could you use your talents to work on other peoples vehicles, while waiting for things to come together, good luck, and keep your chin up!

Re: Motivation [Re: 3B] #562593 Thu Aug 06 2009 03:37 PM
F
FriedGreenTmater Offline
Shop Shark
It sounds like you are feeling guilty for having a wonderful wife. Take a couple days and do something especially for her like build a flower box, you know her best and will think of something if you put your mind to it. I have been in the same rut and it took a long time to figure it out. It is really great to have a wife that loves you and supports what you want to do.

Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
1953 Chevrolet 3600
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Caution: Political Statement

Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Re: Motivation [Re: FriedGreenTmater] #562596 Thu Aug 06 2009 03:46 PM
M
Mr. Lang Offline
Shop Shark
53monster is right on the money.
The other thing that can help, is going to shows, and seeing finished, or on the road trucks. Is there a local place where gear heads meet weekly, like an informal show?

Also, as dumb as it sounds, getting someone to take you for a ride will help. Once its at the stage where you can drive it, it makes it more exciting for some.

I buy all my tools used. I find that you can buy much better quality, for way less than for off shore crap.

Christopher

In the Gallery
Pictures in Photodork

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Re: Motivation [Re: Mr. Lang] #562646 Thu Aug 06 2009 07:41 PM
C
Chev4t6 Offline
Shop Shark
As stated above sometimes you need a break. I've been on mine almost six years,broken tools, parts, no parts, money, no money,no time........Try to work 5 minutes a day doing anything...you'll end up working longer. Make it fun. Go to a show/cruise. See vehicles that are completed.....Ahh.....never mind I'm gonna take my own advice. Have fun and good luck
Dan

Re: Motivation [Re: Chev4t6] #562667 Thu Aug 06 2009 08:30 PM
N
Nifty 50 Offline
Shop Shark
It took me several years to finish my '50. I also had a wonderful wife that didn't blink when it came to the money. I will say that I had a different sense of the money that came from years of working on old cars. I would scoff at spending $100.00 on some part and my wife would note that it cost a minimum of $400.00 every time her modern car came close to a repair shop.

She also had some insight into the restoration of our truck. She said I never seemed stressed working on it, unlike so many other elements of my life. At one point I remember that I was feeling stressed to get stuff done or that it was not working out as I wanted it to. I decided to just leave it sit for a while. A few months later I started up again and finished it.

I wish I could impart to you the feeling of driving a finished old truck that you personally did. That would be all the motivation you would need. Or maybe think about the sight of an old couple stopping on the street to watch you drive by with a smile on their face. Such times are priceless.

I second the thoughts above, recognize the joy of your marriage and go sit in your truck, or a finished truck like yours, and dream. I also remember nights in the garage sitting on lawn chairs in the gutted cab with my wife and a couple of cocktails talking about the next step. That really helped.
Good luck,
Steve

Last edited by Nifty 50; Thu Aug 06 2009 08:32 PM.

1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert
Re: Motivation [Re: Nifty 50] #562675 Thu Aug 06 2009 09:26 PM
B
Builder Offline
Shop Shark
Nifty 50 has it right.

Clean the shop up real nice and set up a movie projector on the wall some night and sit in the truck with the wife and pretend you are at the drive in on a date. She'll love it and it will motivate you a bit too.

Always take time to clean up your shop at night too. Starting fresh with all the tools in the right place helps get started again the next time you go to work on it. A dirty work space that has to be picked up before I can start on something is a real motivation killer for me.

I have a standing rule that nothing goes into the shop (or work place) that doesn't belong there. Some things sneak in but they are the first things to be removed when it comes to making room fo rthe projects. I had a gal who tried to "clean" up my house and wanted all that "stuff" to go into the garage to make more room for her. "Nothing doing" was my reply. "The shop is mine".

Whne I was on the IRWIPI Adventure (see link below), sometimes Uncle Carl and I would just sit back and have a cup of coffee and just think about things to gather our thoughts. When something goes wrong, take a break and take another look at things from a different angle. Get a game plan. Sometimes things that are puzzling or difficult and we need to step back and try to think a little simpler about things.

Look at what you accomplish each day, not how far out the end is. I tell my girlfriend what I did after wards and each time she seems to think I accomplished so much..even when I think I didn't really make a lot of progress. Keep the good things in your head before you go to sleep and don't dwell on the problems. You don't need the bad stuff stirring in your head when you are resting.

Post every time here on Stovebolt what you accomplish every night or every week. You'll be suprized how much support is here.

Besides, we like to talk about that stuff here.

Re: Motivation [Re: Builder] #562706 Thu Aug 06 2009 11:38 PM
M
marklaken Offline
New Guy
Sounds like you are hung up on first-time bodywork. That is normal.

For me, I try and remind myself that:

A. I really can't screw up an old vehicle restoration too badly.
B. It's supposed to be fun. If it's not, I go do something else.
C. It'll be better than I started with, even if it ain't perfect.
D. Can't wait to drive it!

Re: Motivation [Re: marklaken] #562718 Fri Aug 07 2009 12:20 AM
N
neilroy Offline
Shop Shark
Don't look at the size of the whole project. Concentrate on what is next. I tend to get overwhelmed if I look at all I have left to do. Don't push yourself to hard. You will be surprised how much can get done in short spurts over time. I try to do a little something each day. Some days I do a bunch and some days not so much. The time line here is it will be finished when I get finished with it. Take photos so you can see how far you have come. It helps me to look at my progress from time to time. Other people's trucks are a good motivation car shows are good for a few days of productive work. Feel the force Luke. Draw your strength from the users of this site. It will get done.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop