The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (55 SHAKER, billypylot, 1953 panel, Bodini, Forty9, Fletcher Machine), 270 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,430
Posts973,575
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
big bolt 49 gallery submission *
#555075 Mon Jul 13 2009 01:23 AM
Y
Shop Shark
1949 4400

here is another find that I picked up, probably the last purchase for a little bit as I need to get the 3800 and this 4400 in better working order- and some new paint for both, etc.

I got this off ebay for $901. It has the early 235 as an option. It has a badger omaha bed with harsh hydraulic hoist for dumping the bed.
It is close to running order-
Needs a water pump and -refreshening
Plan to overhaul the engine and repaint both the engine and the truck. Mainly plan to make it a nice work/fun truck just like all the others-
I will leave the interior paint alone- it is actually in very good shape. It will be swift red with a silver pin stripe as it had originally.

My brother wife and I left early in the morning(6:30am) and drove 3.5 hours from gardner ks up to adams ne where this truck was residing.

I am the truck's fourth owner.
The truck had been purchased by a farmer at the chevrolet dealer in beatrice ne and ended up in Adams when the PO purchased it to restore out of the second owner(Original owner's son) barn.
that was two years ago. the truck ran then but needed a new waterpump.
When My brother and I got to the truck we installed a fresh battery. re-installed the waterpump. we connected the belt and did some other initial inspections.
We then hit the starter to turn it over.
It turned over, fuel pumped to the carb, but no spark.

The distributor timing was way off so we re-timed the distributor. we still had no spark and ran a few of the wires down. no luck starting so we used the winch on the trailer to load the truck up.

We did have to drive the pickup and gooseneck down a really narrow dead end alley, and it took a lot of spotting to get the combo out.

So with the truck loaded we headed for home.
We had a late lunch at the pizza hut in Tecumseh NE where the truck and trailer w/ truck were right outside the window so we could stare at the latest purchase.

We then hit the road.

5 miles south of auburn ne we had one of the trailer tires blow out.
Figures they were old tires.

So I changed that tire and the spare needed air.
we pulled into the next farm about 1/2 mile south of where we got the flat. We were hoping to get some air from their compressor. No one was home, and there driveway dead-ended so more fun driving practice- on a half full spare and the rest of the tire looking very questionable.
So we headed back to Auburn to get some air and then headed back south. this time about 4 miles south of auburn the spare exploded.

pulled over and prepared to use the truck's spare- which would fit, and carry the weight-
but the jack was in no mood to be overworked.

Called my Dad and had him start internet searching roadside service providers. meanwhile I sat enjoying the view of field corn growing right before my very eyes. Kind of blocks that nice refreshing afternoon wind on a warm july day.

So then the cell phone rings.
Cunningham tire service out Nebraska City NE(30 minutes north)
He wanted to know how he could help, said that he has the ability to change tires on the spot, and he can find tires as well, even after hours on saturday(currrently 5pm on a saturday) I tell him the tire size and after playing phone tag he finds a set of four that will fit, and carry the load.

So around 7 he shows up with the tires in his pickup.
Using a gas engine powered compressor and HAND tools he changes out all four tires, fills my truck spare up to spec, and charges me $745. and that is for 4 firestone radial trailer tires installed on a saturday at 7pm on the side of hwy 75.

Great service from Cunningham farm service.

So we get on the road- making it home at 1145pm.
making a 8 hour trip into 18.
But enjoy the pics- there will be some updates as I work on it.

My first big bolt.

Last edited by J Lucas; Fri Sep 04 2009 04:38 AM.

You know you only truly love your old truck or tractor after the point at which you are ready to push it off a cliff, but you suck it up, get it running, and get it back into service...... The 3rd time

1949 Chevy 4400 Big Red
1949 Chevy 3600 Bob's Truck
1949 Chevy 3100 The Investment
1949 Chevy 3800 the Won Ton

Re: big bolt 49 gallery submission *
Yelostn78 #572776 Wed Sep 09 2009 03:08 PM
C
Shop Shark
Sam,

GREAT STORY !!!!
I loved reading your gallery entry. Both entertaining and well written.

It does sound like you had an eventful journey bringing your big bolt home. Many of us have had similar road trip experiences. It is always easier to laugh about it "later", rather than "during".

Now that you have your trailer all ready for hauling Big Bolts, may I use it sometime ? !!!

Thanks for the story,
Brian

Your wife called & said
"buy whatever you want"!
-
1961 Chevy Apache 10 Restoration Photo Album
-
in the Gallery ...
My 1961 Chevy Custom Apache 10 SWB

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop