The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (CrowbarBob), 219 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,033
Posts961,341
Members43,542
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Running a little warm
#5531 Wed Jul 09 2003 04:00 PM
C
cmayna Offline OP
Shop Shark
Now that I've been driving my truck almost on a daily basis, I'm starting to nit pick it to death. It has always become quite hot when I sit in line for awhile. Yesterday just running around town it was over 180 deg. What are the steps to determine if my pump is fine, radiator is fine, etc? Or do I simply take it to a radiator guy and have him test the system?

Craig's '50 Chevy 3100 5 window
My truck
If I'm not working on my truck or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Re: Running a little warm
#5532 Wed Jul 09 2003 04:47 PM
R
rat Offline
What engine are you running? I rebuilt my 235 with a 4 core radiator and new pump and still goes slightly hot while standing in line. Of course thats when temps are over 105. I am currently looking for a fan from a mid 50's tractor. I have a 1955 Massey -Furgeson that will idle all day in this heat and never get hot. The fan blades are larger with a slightly bigger pitch. I don't know if it will work but I will try it out. I am running a 160 deg thermostat as I really don't need any heat in the winter.

'52 Chevy 5 window, it ran when I parked it
'53 Chevy 5 window, running the streets with me.
'55 Massey-Ferguson, tearing up the dirt
'89 Harley FXSTS, suicide clutch
'92 Harley FLSTC, equal time with the '89
#5533 Wed Jul 09 2003 06:43 PM
C
cmayna Offline OP
Shop Shark
rat,
I guess it would help if I indicated how many mice I'm running with. It's a '62 235. Mine has pegged out to 220 when standing in line at the local dump. This was a BIG problem when the truck was still 6 volts for it would not want to crank over when overheated. Now that it's 12 volts it's a little easier but I would still like to resolve the problem. Maybe the radiator needs to be flushed ?

cheers

My truck
If I'm not working on my truck or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#5534 Wed Jul 09 2003 06:47 PM
Shop Shark
What you describe is normal - sitting still the engine will heat up since the air flow isn't circulating as much as when you're driving. At idle the fan isn't moving as fast as when you're driving.

For what it's worth, engines run a little more efficiently when hotter. If you'd said you were pushing 210 or 220 (my Healey will boil over at idle, that is a problem) then I'd worry.

It's not really a problem but the solution - if you need one - is to augment or replace the mechanical fan with an electric fan.

Fits snugly to the radiator, can be temperature controlled to come on whenever you want, and can even be placed between the radiator and the grill so it's practically invisible. Maybe $150 to $200 depending on the size.

(Or yank one out of the junkyard from an old Honda or something.......)

-Boyo

'48 Willys CJ-2A / '55.1 Chevy 3600 / '66 Austin-Healey 3000 / '04 Volvo wagon (parenthood!?)
#5535 Wed Jul 09 2003 07:20 PM
T
Stop partying CMayna, you suffer from double speak.

On my stock gauge my 54 never gets close to the hot range. I did bring up my idle a little though. More for the fact that when I get off the freeway my oil pressure is a bit low at idle. The extra RPM should help the cooling a bit too.

With your temperature problems I would at least do the home flushing job with a bottle of stuff from Napa. Do a good rinse afterward and then fill with the proper ratio of fresh antifreeze. Even a 10 degree difference would take you out of the danger zone and the whole job takes an hour.

54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#5536 Wed Jul 09 2003 07:53 PM
G
Wrench Fetcher
If you haven't had the radiator boiled out, rodded, etc I'd start with that. No radiator of that age is gonna be clean unless you clean it; over the years junk accumulates.

On my 235, I fitted an aftermarket 6-blade aluminum
fan along with a new radiator, and it ran nice and cool.

George

#5537 Wed Jul 09 2003 10:01 PM
C
cmayna Offline OP
Shop Shark
George,
Is your 6 blade electric?

My truck
#5538 Wed Jul 09 2003 10:13 PM
S
Shop Shark
I have been having the same problem (see my post "Needs new radiator?) Only I have a thermostatically controlled electric fan, and I have had my heater core and radiator boiled out. Also new hoses, thermostat, water pump, etc. I've never had this much trouble with one of these old trucks in twenty years of owning them.........I am at a loss.......

#5539 Wed Jul 09 2003 10:38 PM
Moderator, Passing Lane
how long do you have to wait in line at the dump? just kill it instead of sitting and let it idle, will it cool off after you go normal driving,my truck has never ran hot and i drive in town. out of town and on interstate, It did peg at 215 on the fourth while in the parade but it was hot and hardly moving, after I got out and driving, it ran normal for the next 135 miles home,guess it depends on how long it is just at idle,at least you know that the temp gage is working....Fred

Redryder

My Hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#5540 Thu Jul 10 2003 05:16 AM
C
cmayna Offline OP
Shop Shark
Boy Stingray,
I was all jazzed to have mine boiled and even considered an additional electric fan on the front of the radiator, until I read your reply.

Joker,
That would mean turning off the engine for about 3-4 minutes and then starting it again to move one car length forward. Since I 12v now I don't worry too much but just thought I'd try to improve this issue just a little.

I only have this problem during extreme conditions. The key is to avoid them and just cruise down the road and around town.

cheers

My truck

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop