The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
24 registered members (52Carl, Bill LeVasseur, alemachevyman, bowtietim, 76Buffalo, 1 invisible), 279 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,226
Posts927,585
Members42,582
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How does it all go back together? #533062 Tue Apr 28 2009 05:39 PM
B
Black_Dog Offline OP
New Guy
Okay, okay, so we got my 1956 GMC truck apart, motor out, bed off, etc. then we welded in all new sheetmetal (floors, firewall, etc) and THEN . . . my body man left (serious medical condition) so NOW...how do I get it all back together?
I am talking about the front end - fenders, inner fenders, radiator, supports, etc. Not the motor and tranny. I'm tryint to dry fit all the partes BEFORE it goes to the paint shop.
Incidently, if you know of a good paint shop in maryland, that is AVAILABLE, please let me know!
Hey, it all came apart so easy.
Signed, perplexed in Pasadena,

Jim
410-456-9834

Last edited by GMC1956; Tue Apr 28 2009 05:41 PM.
Re: How does it all go back together? [Re: Black_Dog] #533149 Tue Apr 28 2009 10:13 PM
B
bigdog58 Offline
Shop Shark
Best thing to do is assemble the front clip and THEN left it onto the radiator support. Bolt the radiator support on loose and then lift the clip onto the radiator support and cab mounting holes. Then insert the bolts at the rear upper fenders loose and then the bottom bolts loose. Then, SET the hood between fenders and adjust fenders if necessary with washers to get a supreme fit. I have done a few of these and this is by far the best way. Good luck and if ya have any questions feel free to send me a message.

Steve in I-DA-HO

Re: How does it all go back together? [Re: bigdog58] #533222 Wed Apr 29 2009 02:43 AM
B
BIG CHEVY 3600 Offline
Master Gabster
Go on EBay and pick up a factory assembly manual. If you don't have one you need one!

Jim
Big Chevy's Photobucket pix

Modern ‘science’: the wonder of a
pre-determined mind…

The ‘baseline belief’ of astronomy:
“Any day now, we’ll pick up a tiny,
coded signal from outer space. Then
we’ll know for certain that there is
intelligence out there, because coded
information does not arise by chance”

The ‘baseline belief’ of biology:
The precisely coded genetic information in
every cell would fill many books…
but we know for certain that no intelligence
could have created life.”

Re: How does it all go back together? [Re: BIG CHEVY 3600] #533314 Wed Apr 29 2009 06:02 AM
Cletis Offline
Extreme Gabster
The Chevrolet Factory Assembly Manual isn't going to be much help on the GMC front sheet metal and grill. I'm sure it will come in handy in other areas, though.

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website
Re: How does it all go back together? [Re: Cletis] #533418 Wed Apr 29 2009 06:24 PM
B
BIG CHEVY 3600 Offline
Master Gabster
While the GMC sheetmetal shapes are different, the way they are bolted up are very much like the Chevy truck.

Jim
Big Chevy's Photobucket pix

Modern ‘science’: the wonder of a
pre-determined mind…

The ‘baseline belief’ of astronomy:
“Any day now, we’ll pick up a tiny,
coded signal from outer space. Then
we’ll know for certain that there is
intelligence out there, because coded
information does not arise by chance”

The ‘baseline belief’ of biology:
The precisely coded genetic information in
every cell would fill many books…
but we know for certain that no intelligence
could have created life.”

Re: How does it all go back together? [Re: BIG CHEVY 3600] #533440 Wed Apr 29 2009 08:08 PM
N
Nifty 50 Offline
Shop Shark
All good suggestions including most importantly the assembly manual. Absolutely put it all back together and test fit everything before it is painted. You will be amazed at how stuff can move around even if the body work was done well. You do not want to find problems after the paint is done. Good luck.

1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop