The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (Swami29, joe apple, 1 invisible), 229 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,034
Posts961,345
Members43,542
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Marines!!!
John Milliman #1258051 Fri Mar 09 2018 11:28 PM
V
Shop Shark
Marines' New King Stallion Lifts 36,000 Pounds in Test.
Article
snip:
The Marines' future heavy-lift helicopter just got more formidable.
In a recent test, the CH-53K King Stallion lifted an external load of 36,000 pounds into a hover, then continued into flight, manufacturer Lockheed Martin Corp. announced this week.
The King Stallion is set to replace aging CH-53E Super Stallions, with initial operational capability likely to happen in 2020. Ahead of then, the Marine Corps is already buying the new aircraft in greater quantities each year. The service's fiscal 2019 budget request included funds for eight more King Stallions.

Prior to the recent lift test, the King Stallion had successfully lifted up to 27,00 pounds, with one load including a joint light tactical vehicle, the 14,000 Humvee replacement for the Army and Marine Corps. That load already represented an increase over the capacity of the Super Stallion

If you scroll down in the link and watch the video you'll see the lift hook remotely release the load after it lands the load. Thats one heck of a releasable hook.......

https://www.military.com/dodbuzz/20...ng-stallion-lifts-36000-pounds-test.html

John Milliman #1258052 Fri Mar 09 2018 11:37 PM
V
Shop Shark
Marine F-35Bs Arrive on USS Wasp for First Shipboard Deployment
Article
snip:
The F-35B Joint Strike Fighter is deploying for the first time aboard a U.S. Navy ship, marking a historic milestone for the Pentagon's most lethal jet as the Marine-variant enters operational exercises in the Pacific.

The short takeoff/vertical landing F-35s from Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 121 on Monday arrived on the amphibious assault ship USS Wasp for patrols in the region, according to an announcement from the Navy's 7th Fleet.
The stealth jet's arrival also marks the start of the F-35's first deployment a Marine expeditionary unit. The squadron will sail the Pacific aboard the ships of the Okinawa-based 31st MEU this spring.
"Pairing F-35B Lightning II [aircraft] with the Wasp represents one of the most significant leaps in warfighting capability for the Navy-Marine Corps team in our lifetime," Rear Adm. Brad Cooper, commander of Expeditionary Strike Group 7, said in a statement. "This 5th-generation stealth jet is extremely versatile, and will greatly enhance and expand our operational capabilities."

Way back in 74 we, VMA231, deployed our fairly new AV8A's on board the USS FDR for the Harriers 1st deployment on a USA war ship. We deployed with F4's, A6's & A7's. All of which, including the FDR have since been scrapped. Talk about getting old LOL....

John Milliman #1258284 Sun Mar 11 2018 08:02 PM
D
Shop Shark
Awesome, we supported VMA-231 at MCAS Cherry Point in 1972-73 and again late 74' , was with H&MS 20 , MOS 6639 until out in May 1975. I miss Aviation.

Last edited by Dusty53; Wed Mar 14 2018 12:22 AM.

Ronnie
1954 Chevy 3604 - A work in progress...

" You can't keep dancing with the Devil and wonder why you're still in hell"
John Milliman #1258543 Tue Mar 13 2018 08:08 PM
V
Shop Shark
I was in and out of MCAS CPNC many times. 1st w/H&MS 32 then H&MS 20 both in the GSE shops, MOS 6072. Whenever TAD orders came up I'd take them. I didn't care as long as I got a way from Havelock NC LOL. Funny looking back it was a pretty good duty station but you know how it was being young and dumb.... With VMA 231 I was TAD to the Rosie's AIMD GSE shop. There was 4 of us in the squid shop, living the skaters life LOL..... When we returned to Cherry Point I was still technically assigned to 231 but was TAD to H&MS 20 where I finished my tour a couple months later in 77.

I know what you mean about missing aviation.

John Milliman #1258562 Wed Mar 14 2018 12:27 AM
D
Shop Shark
Volfandt - you are right about the young and dumb, luckily we survived our trips to Havelock and Morehead City. After reading your post I seen that I'd made a typo on my original post. I worked in the Avionics shop at H&MS-20 both times I was at Cherry Point. It was great duty and I much preferred it over Futenma, Okinawa. So, Semper Fi, fellow Marine!

Ronnie

John Milliman #1258638 Wed Mar 14 2018 07:39 PM
V
Shop Shark
Ronnie, when were you at MCAS Futema? I was with H&MS 36 GSE in 74 and HMA 369 GSE (1 man shop) in 75. I had a Honda 450 motorcycle and cruised all over the little island. Made the 13 months tolerable LOL

Dave

Volfandt #1258671 Thu Mar 15 2018 12:43 AM
D
Shop Shark
Dave, I was at MCAS Futenma from September 73 to September 74 with a month or so at Subic Bay during that time. I was also with H&MS 36, worked in Air Conditioned white Trailers doing board level repair on Avionics equipment. Man were there people there that did not like us and our "tough jobs", lol. Anyway, I went from Okinawa right back to Cherry Point and was discharged in May 75. Our paths have probably crossed at some point. Small world, huh! Hey, glad to see you on this sight.

Ronnie

Ronnie

John Milliman #1258705 Thu Mar 15 2018 12:45 PM
V
Shop Shark
Yeah, we had to have crossed paths at some point. I had a bunch of "tweet" friends. IIRC where ever I went your shops were always in those air conditioned trailers.
Those of us that were in the the different AIMD shops on the Rosey got pretty tight, wasn't unusual for GSE, Avionics and Ordnance to hang out together in the various "Vill's" we invaded LOL.... We even organized a football team and played other divisions, including the MarDet which was usually the most physical game LOL. They didn't have much use for us airdales..
Once we had one heck of a combined party in Naples, I've got some good stories from that adventure LOL...
Funny story at the H&MS 20 GSE shop, whenever one of you Avionics boys would screw up they'd send you over to the GSE shop and we'd put you in a 20'x20' tent and have you sandblast & paint yellow gear. Tugs, generators, test stands, tow bars etc. As punishment to those of us that screwed up we'd have to supervise you. Needless say I got that duty a few times LOL. Most of you all actually enjoyed it. The yellow gear at MAG 20 was some of the best maintained in the entire air wing LOL.
About 10 or so yrs ago I met up with a couple airdales that I "may" have met and crossed paths with at MCAS New River and got to tour the then new V-22 Osprey at an open house. One was a Mustang and new Osprey pilot who got us some behind the scenes touring. The V-22's had just hit the fleet. We didn't get to go up but did get to fly in the simulator. I was impressed with it but would have hated being a bubble chaser on one, they have hydraulic hoses going everywhere, in places where a hand can't get too.... Looked like most of the avionics were in a somewhat easy to get at location in an enclosure behind the pilot with the exception of the cockpits which were as cramped as anything I've ever sat in. I barely fit LOL.
Good to see you here also.

Dave

John Milliman #1262712 Mon Apr 16 2018 12:57 PM
V
Shop Shark
R. Lee Ermey, a former Marine Corps drill instructor known to millions of moviegoers as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket," died Sunday morning, according to his longtime manager. He was 74.

In a statement posted on Twitter, Bill Rogin said Ermey had died due to complications from pneumonia.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...et-actor-r-lee-ermey-dies-at-age-74.html

I just missed meeting him during an open house at the Aviation museum at the Sevierville airport about 10 yrs ago.
He talked the talk and walked the walk.
RIP R. Lee Ermey
S/F
Dave

John Milliman #1262713 Mon Apr 16 2018 01:08 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
He was an entertaining fellow for sure. RIP Gunny.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
ā€˜65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (Iā€™m #2)
ā€˜39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Achipmunk 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop