The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (D B Cooper, Bill Ryle, chaz71, DennisM, 2 invisible), 190 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,025
Posts970,183
Members43,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
who wants there gauges done?
#470148 Tue Nov 11 2008 06:08 AM
R
Wrench Fetcher
I don't know about you guys but I do not want to reface my gauges with basically a sticker set. and since work for a printing company I could screen them. what i was wondering is if i decide to have my gauges screen printed would some of you guys want yours done also? they would be in the correct colors and font. All I would need is the faces No offense but I don't want to take someones else's gauges apart. this is just a feeler to see if anybody would want this done so i can figure out the logistics of everything

Re: who wants there gauges done?
rusty52stovey #470171 Tue Nov 11 2008 11:34 AM
D
Extreme Gabster
I think there would be fairly good sized market for this service. There are only a few different masks that you would have to make up for the AD's and you would have to be very accurate with the colors.
Also you would have to be competative with in reason with the vendors selling the decals. Although I would much rather have my gauges screen printed I have heard many good reports about the decals.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Denny Graham #470198 Tue Nov 11 2008 03:35 PM
New Guy
I would be interested in such a service. Would it be more durable than the decals?

46farmtruck #470656 Wed Nov 12 2008 08:40 PM
R
Wrench Fetcher
46farmtruck yes it would vinyl is known to fade quite a bit. screen printing would be very durable. The main reason I would rather do it this way is because that is how they were originally done. Also vinyl is a decal its hard not to get air bubbles behind the faces and over time they lose there adhesiveness Denny graham I wasn't thinking of doing this as a one time service if I could get enough people to do it with me. it would be too expensive to do them one at a time. I will write up a plan soon to detail what ya'll would have to do and how much. my problem right now is I don't have the correct colors because my gauges are sun faded.

rusty52stovey #470978 Thu Nov 13 2008 04:06 PM
D
Extreme Gabster
That's what I thought I indicated, ďI think there would be fairly good sized market for this service." what I was trying to say is that if you put the time into making the masks, that I think you could get quite a bit of business for the service, as long as you could compete with the vendors decal prices. I mean, the decals are ten bucks a set, do you think you can strip, mask, paint base coat and print the text on the speedo, and four gauge cluster for two or there times that much???? I doubt it.
And yes, the originals were screen-printed and I would only use a decal if the face was completely gone and I couldn't find someone like you to paint them.

I wish someone would come up with a stencil for the Thrift-Master logo on the valve covers instead of those chincy looking decals. A vinyl sign printer orta be able to cut a stencil with a light sticky that you could peal off after spraying the cover. Here again though, Iíve looked for over two years for a good picture of an original Thrift-Master valve cover logo to recreate the graphic and still havenít found one that was in tact.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Denny Graham #471925 Sun Nov 16 2008 03:50 AM
R
Wrench Fetcher
there is no way a person could compete with the decal prices because there is so much more worked involved but it could be done for a fair price. it would only be a two color process. I haven't heard much interest. I guess I didn't make myself clear I am doing this anyway so I am paying for the screens and colors. the only cost for everyone would be the time and shipping.

rusty52stovey #471970 Sun Nov 16 2008 05:22 AM
Boltergeist
Rusty52: I have mine refaced with the vinyl but have an old facing or two that I wouldn't mind having done. That said I guess, since your doing a set anyway, I think I want a set to....I can always keep them for someone who wished they had got a set of them. thumbs_up

I spent 35 years printing and finishing...screen to rotary ect and know that when you set up its nice to do several.
Come on guys, this is a chance to get them done right.
Let me know Rusty. Besides....they'll be made in the USA!!

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Achipmunk #472305 Tue Nov 18 2008 01:25 AM
New Guy
Rusty52, I'm still interested. How many would you need to do to make it work out?

46farmtruck #472502 Tue Nov 18 2008 07:15 AM
R
Wrench Fetcher
well the more I get the cheaper it will be you know how that goes. but I haven't heard from many people even though it is one of the most looked at threads. I may just scrap the whole Idea and do it just for Chipmunk,you and myself

rusty52stovey #472581 Tue Nov 18 2008 04:37 PM
G
Shop Shark
Rusty, I'm thinking that maybe your not hearing from people because they haven't heard the price.
I don't know for sure but it is what slowed me up a bit on saying, ya count me in for the deal.
So without further ado....count me in, bezels for a 52.
Dan

Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop