To start, here's the pics of the truck: Bear's C20
I bought this truck at the beginning of October. I saw it when I went to look at a '67 Chevy 4x4 a guy had for sale. Well, he had this one for sale too. I have a soft spot for '63's, always have, so my attention shifted to this truck. I asked how much and the guy said $500. How could I pass it up?
It's a long box stepside and it has a very greasy 292 with an equally greasy 4 speed backing it up. At the back end it is sporting a No-Spin differential. Currently it isn't running and it is one of those trucks that "ran when I parked it". On the upside, it was sitting in a barn for the past 12 years, so it was kept out of the weather. It does have the layers of dust and mouse nests to prove it was in the barn.
I am fortunate to know the history of this truck. I am the 4th owner. It was originally purchased by Charles Maynard from Loel Lust Chevrolet (now Steven Lust Chevrolet) in Aberdeen, SD. The delivery date was April 19, 1963, and I have the documentation to prove that. As a matter of fact, the salesman that sold the truck just retired a couple of years ago. Sometime in the early '80's the truck was transferred to Everett Maynard. Everett sold it to the guy I bought it from back in July.
This truck had been used for a lot of grain hauling but now it's heading for a more relaxed life. I am currently in the process of getting it fired up to be a daily driver. In time I will do a full fix-up on it, but that will be later on. There is a lot of stuff to be replaced thanks to years of sitting, but it's fun to tinker on. I removed the side boards, which was an adventure. At the back end a 2x4 had been bolted to the bed to support the grain endgate and in order to get that off I had to pull the bumper off. I did put the bumper back on a couple days ago. I found that the wiring from the cowl to the tail lights all has to be replaced as well as the tail light assemblies. I don't chance it on electrical. I have also pulled the radiator, all hoses, water pump, alternator, voltage regulator, and horn relay. I am replacing most everything I can to save hassles later on. I still have to finish degreasing the engine and tranny, rebuld the carb, check out the rear end closely and do the brakes. It's going slow but steady at this point and hopefully by spring I will have it on the road once again.