The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (CrowbarBob), 219 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,033
Posts961,341
Members43,542
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
King pin removal, good old fashioned fun
#44794 Mon Mar 08 2004 04:34 PM
B
Shop Shark
Ok I I finaly removed my king pin locks. That was fun let me tell ya! So now its the king pins turn. Do i need to drive them down or drive them up? Or does it matter?
Ive been soaking them down with liquid wrench. Any body have any handy tips on how to get them out?

Re: King pin removal, good old fashioned fun
#44795 Mon Mar 08 2004 06:18 PM
ODSS President
Go to Tech Tips and read KOOLKAR'S King Pin removal, great tip, here's how I did it...
My last major project was 'encouraging out' the old king pins. Koolkar suggested using the weight of the vehicle and a generous soaking w/ PB Blaster to achieve success. In my case it worked like a charm.
The truck is lifted and properly supported while you remove the backing plate and coat-hanger it off to the side. I then created a stable vertical support for my brass drift by drilling a common hole into a stack of 10"X10", 2X12 board scraps then securing the stack together with 3 " wood screws. This created a stable vertical support for my 6" brass drift. Upon removal of the king pin end caps I then lowered the king pin onto my home-made brass drift assembly.
The goal is just to get the stubborn king pin started so only 1-2" of drop is allowed before 2 jack stands await the front I beam for safety. I would come around and give a dozen good blows to the outside of the vertical king pin assembly with a five lb. sledge and a squirt of PB then go back to listening to Public Broadcasting Saturday AM and then come back after another half hour or so. Once I noticed a 1-2 mm drop all thoughts of jerking the whole axle and taking it someplace to have the K-pin pressed out melted away.
As with most things in life and with our old trucks, good patience is rewarded in the end with success.

Cosmo

"...my good horse Rozinante ('49 Chevy Half Ton), mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
#44796 Mon Mar 08 2004 06:22 PM
P
Shop Shark
hamon: We've been waiting for this question!!!

Here it goes. Get the frame solid against something. Get a torch and start heating the spindle when you think you are hot enough warm it some more!! I took a brass rod that was just smaller than the king pin put it in my pipe wrench. There is a reason for this because you are going to set the punch on top of your king pin and smack it with a sledge. If you miss YOU DO NOT HIT YOUR HAND, drive out the bottom.

Now before you get started have you got the dust caps off top and bottom? If not here you go; take a small drill bit and drill a hole in the cap so can you put a punch in the hole and pry the cap off. Guarentee king pins won't come out until you do.

Steel toe shoes are recommended, strong verbal languge advised, and no children or pets allowed in the area when you try this. popcorn The Truth is Out There (Its fun and just use patience, lots of it)

#44797 Mon Mar 08 2004 06:23 PM
D
D8 Offline
Your most times going to have to heat the axle up . It really does not matter which way you knock them out . If you had a hard time with the locks ,good luck with the pins . Lots of heat and a BFH. Should be tight in the axle not the spindle so dont heat or hit the spindle .

#44798 Mon Mar 08 2004 07:09 PM
B
Shop Shark
I put PB and Liquid wrench (blue can) to a show down on my backing plate mounting bolts and bumper brackets. LW on one side and PB on the other. They both seemed to work about the same. Problem is I went to the store to buy some more LW and they only carry the new formula in the yellow can now. What do you guys prefer?

Thanks a lot for the King pin removal tips.

#44799 Mon Mar 08 2004 08:51 PM
Extreme Gabster
This is more of a driveline question so I'm going to move the topic over there. Post any replies there too.

Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#44800 Tue Mar 09 2004 01:00 AM
D
Shop Shark
Plenty of liquid assist ,, for the kingpin , and yerself .. GREAT BIG HAMMER ... grin
It says quite clearly in the shop manual , apply NO heat to the front axle.

#44801 Tue Mar 09 2004 07:18 AM
A
for what its worth, heat/hammer that didn't even work on my one ton.

what did work was pulling off the axle (not much to it) and then stuffing that into a 30 TON shop press, and then heatting the poo out of it with a torch until it was RED hot. Bent the angle irons on the shop press, but more heat, and finally they came out. Goobs who put in last set of king pins spun the bushing and it never got greased after that! If they had looked, they could have just drilled another hole through the bushing and it wouldn't have been half as bad.

Then I put in the spiral bushing set with groved pins. Big improvement. Bushings twist in, no reaming, pins are grooved and hold more grease.

Spanky put me on to it.

#44802 Tue Mar 09 2004 07:37 AM
Extreme Gabster
I screwed up trying to press the bearings out of the spindle with a press. I didn't think to put something between the bushing holes and I bent a spindle. Cut a pipe with an i.d. a little larger than the bearing that will fit between there and maybe you won't be so unlucky.

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website
#44803 Tue Mar 09 2004 02:14 PM
R
rat Offline
I did mine the easy way. I took my new king pins and axel in hand went to the Hot Rod shop and for $140 he installed the new king pins. I picked them up the next day and put it back in. smile

'52 Chevy 5 window, it ran when I parked it
'53 Chevy 5 window, running the streets with me.
'55 Massey-Ferguson, tearing up the dirt
'89 Harley FXSTS, suicide clutch
'92 Harley FLSTC, equal time with the '89
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop