The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (‘37ChevyPU, Rsqwhite, klhansen, Shaffer's1950), 96 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,471
Posts1,031,725
Members45,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Painting disk brake calipers
Samantha #415828 Fri May 23 2008 03:37 AM
'Bolter
Even the cheap Rustoleum has held up well on the 37 pickup calibers for 8 years now. A little faded now but still doesn't look bad......BUT if you plan to be RACING then it may not be such a good idea?!

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]

1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]

1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.websearch.com/share/...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Czechman #416236 Sat May 24 2008 01:29 PM
D
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Czechman
I think this may be another example of how theory doesn't play out in the real world. I'm with David on this one... if it had a harmful effect on something as fundamental as brakes I doubt seriously that anyone would risk making and selling it.

I'm going to paint mine silver with instructions in my will to post an obit here if I die in an accident caused by my painted calipers.
since we agree can i be the benificiary and get whats left of your truck for parts????????? grin dave

1949 Chevrolet 3100

"When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
david dyehouse #416275 Sat May 24 2008 03:40 PM
C
Shop Shark
You're in.

Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Hotrod Lincoln #416555 Sun May 25 2008 03:14 PM
Wrench Fetcher
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Unless you're planning to trailer the truck everywhere and never do anything other than drive it on and off the trailer for a car show, the paint won't stay put. Brake parts are there to generate HEAT, lots of it, because that's what stops the vehicle. The paint will peel off in a matter of a few minutes of normal driving. Paint on calipers also serves as an insulator, keeping them from dissipating the heat they create. Boiling brake fluid doesn't stop worth crap, as anyone who has experienced brake fade can confirm!
Jerry

not so, I painted the calipers on my Vette with the duplicolor caliper paint and it held up fine. I painted the rear calipers to match the factory painted front calipers.

ps, Jerry did your class ever get to work on that 216 you got from me?

1950 custom streetrod build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=296770

71 corvette conv, 525 hp big block
50adrod #416568 Sun May 25 2008 03:59 PM
T
Shop Shark
How about powder coating? I plan on powder coating the same color as my truck. Then the dust shields I am going to have them powdercoated like a chrome.

Tom

48 Chevy 3100 Shortbox 5 window
"The Big Dog"
Tomy2tone01 #416640 Sun May 25 2008 10:26 PM
W
Shop Shark
I painted mine with the body color/paint. Did little prep to them and brush painted it on. No primer or anything just body paint. 8500 miles later they still look great.

1950 Chevy p\u 3100. lt1 Corvette powered.
Owner\ autoglass unlimited/Ultra Clear Body Shield
Cowboys creo: taste your words before you spit them out
http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa180/getm24_2000/
wilbur #416817 Mon May 26 2008 03:50 PM
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
I paint the calipers on all my vehicles. A rattle can of high-temp paint flat black. I re-touch it up when ever I do a brake job. It helps keep the rust at bay. I also paint the brake rotors (masking off the friction surface). This keeps rust from flaking the rotors away from inside the venting. For more bling - I have also used both the eastwood kit as well as powder. I like powder best.

BTW, just a few things from my experience:
Rust is by far a better insulator of thermal transfer than painted metal.
Dot 3 brake fluid is hydroscopic and will boil as low as 250F when it has absorbed enough moisture from the air (at about 7% by volume).
Standard brake seals melt at 250F

The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
50adrod #416848 Mon May 26 2008 05:11 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Yes, it's on a run stand in the shop, not running yet, but soon. There's a broken oil line to the rocker arms down inside the side cover that needs to be spliced. After some soaking with Kroil, the engine turns freely and the compression test comes out pretty good. Only one cylinder has more air leakage on the cylinder leak test than I like to see, so it's probably going to run pretty good. It's also getting a HEI distributor adapted to it.

I prefer to err on the side of caution about painting brake parts. If you feel it's an absolute necessity to look cool instead of be safe, there's a spray-on cast iron coating machine shops use on cylinder heads and blocks that gives a uniform dark gray color and inhibits rust. That might be OK, but I've never tried it.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Hotrod Lincoln #418658 Sun Jun 01 2008 02:11 AM
E
New Guy
I know where there is a 454 painted with the same paint that was used on the body. That was almost 60,000 miles ago and it hasn't peeled anywhere so I can't imagine the same paint not working for calipers.

Eric J. Swindle #418660 Sun Jun 01 2008 02:19 AM
J
jdl Offline
Shop Shark
I'm not sure about the safety aspects but I've seen I don't know how many new cars come out with the calipers painted, and I've seen some painted drums, not sure if that'd be the same or not but those people aren't dead either.

Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop