The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Hello there ...
We have a request from "Harold46".

Curious?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 members (destryridesagain, Cletus1950, Adamg, aircommando462, Conductacator, 3 invisible), 178 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,016
Posts1,000,879
Members44,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Painting disk brake calipers
#415404 Thu May 22 2008 03:14 AM
C
Shop Shark
Eastwood sells a "kit" for painting calipers with a brush so you don't have to take the thing apart. I like that idea because I'd just like to get rid of the rust and put a coating of gray or black paint on them.

Is there another way to do this without spending $40 for the Eastwood kit?

Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Re: Painting disk brake calipers
Czechman #415411 Thu May 22 2008 03:31 AM
L
Master Gabster
I beleive that dupli-Color has a similar product, should be able to find it at the flaps.

Bill Burmeister
LONGBOX55 #415556 Thu May 22 2008 02:37 PM
H
'Bolter
Unless you're planning to trailer the truck everywhere and never do anything other than drive it on and off the trailer for a car show, the paint won't stay put. Brake parts are there to generate HEAT, lots of it, because that's what stops the vehicle. The paint will peel off in a matter of a few minutes of normal driving. Paint on calipers also serves as an insulator, keeping them from dissipating the heat they create. Boiling brake fluid doesn't stop worth crap, as anyone who has experienced brake fade can confirm!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #415572 Thu May 22 2008 04:08 PM
H
Shop Shark
I agree with Hotrod Lincoln. Bad idea.

Harvester

Harvester #415600 Thu May 22 2008 05:37 PM
A
'Bolter
My bet is that if you were to paint the calipers, the extra heat generated by the insulating qualities of the paint would cause a immediate and catastrophic failure of your brake system. This would probably happen in the parking lot at the shopping mall and result in the death of many women and children.

Eastwood caliper paint is good to 900&deg. Dot 3 brake fluid boils at 369&deg. Knowledgeable folks paint and powder coat calipers all day long and live to talk about it.

Paint the suckers if you want to, it's only a bad idea if you paint them pink!

Stuart

atomarc #415601 Thu May 22 2008 05:42 PM
J
Shop Shark
I'm not painting calipers, but I painted the inside of the backing plates of my 53 with a high temp rattle can paint from the hardware store that is sold for painting BBQ grills, etc. (supposed to be good to 1200 degrees).

Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Jeff_from_KY #415611 Thu May 22 2008 06:19 PM
D
Shop Shark
saw the dupli color stuff at advance auto parts.it is specifically for calipers.seems if it was bad to use it with all the liability issues involved they wouldnt sell it.but then again i dont know much of nuthin.......dave

1949 Chevrolet 3100

"When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
#415774 Fri May 23 2008 01:39 AM
C
Shop Shark
I think this may be another example of how theory doesn't play out in the real world. I'm with David on this one... if it had a harmful effect on something as fundamental as brakes I doubt seriously that anyone would risk making and selling it.

I'm going to paint mine silver with instructions in my will to post an obit here if I die in an accident caused by my painted calipers.

Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
atomarc #415781 Fri May 23 2008 02:07 AM
R
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by atomarc
My bet is that if you were to paint the calipers, the extra heat generated by the insulating qualities of the paint would cause a immediate and catastrophic failure of your brake system. This would probably happen in the parking lot at the shopping mall and result in the death of many women and children.

Eastwood caliper paint is good to 900&deg. Dot 3 brake fluid boils at 369&deg. Knowledgeable folks paint and powder coat calipers all day long and live to talk about it.

Paint the suckers if you want to, it's only a bad idea if you paint them pink!

Stuart

LMAO! grin

Hey guys, hows the weather? grin

Lifes to short to worry about how short life is.

1951 Oldsmobile Super 88 w/303 and hydramatic
My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 GMC Art Deco COE / 1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Czechman #415782 Fri May 23 2008 02:11 AM
S
Shop Shark
I've got an 06 Mustang that we painted the calipers the day we took the car off the lot (we ordered the car, so we ordered the kit in advance) with one of Eastwood's kits, and haven't had any problems with either the brakes or the paint coming off. It looks just as good as it did the day we painted the calipers.
Samantha

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop