The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 69Cuda, Alaska Jim, KEVINSKI, Gooberdog, 1 invisible), 111 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics125,432
Posts1,012,847
Members45,231
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
216 Hibernation
#40593 Sat Mar 15 2003 10:06 PM
B
brjr51 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Fired up my newly rebuilt 216 today. .030 over,insert bearings,everything balanced,John Deere break-in oil.Started right up and ran really good. Quiet and smooth. Got about 20-25 minutes at high RPM till it started getting hot(no fan on the waterpump,just a small box fan in front of the radiator).Shut it down,set the valves,and fired it back up for a little bit to set the timing.Drained the oil(nice and clean with no signs of metal.)I know Tony,no driveway break-ins,butI'm in the middle of a frame off resto so this is just the bare chassis.
At the rate I work it could possibly be over a year before I want to start this again(plan on tearing some things apart,repainting and then starting bodywork. What's some recommendations for putting this engine into a longterm storage? I plan on pulling the plugs,shooting in some fogging oil,and rotating the crank every month or so so the valve springs don't take a set. Anything else I should do?

Re: 216 Hibernation
#40594 Sun Mar 16 2003 12:31 AM
D
'Bolter
Sounds like nice progress on that engine ,, I like the wee 216 , you can get great economy from it .
When I was working on Aircraft engines , P+W 1830 , etc, the proceedure was to run the engine in , do all the tests , drain the fuel out , inhibit the bores with a sprayed on waxy substance , fit the plugs back in , varnish the whole exterior of the engine and send it off to the stores .
The engine would be re-inhibited every 5 years , that involved pulling the plugs , turning over a couple of revolutions , and spraying more waxy preservative inside it and reinstalling the plugs .
Sometimes the engine might not be used for 20 years ! imagine the inch of wax on top of the pistons eek . When the engine was taken out of long term storage , it was stripped , cleaned and reassembled , retested , then approved for service . The airforce was a world unto it's self.
I am sure you dont need to go to those pedantic measures , I have had a 216 in storage for 6 years , just with a good spraying of oil down the bores and around the valves , it was reserrected a little while ago , fitted new plugs , fresh fuel in the carb ,,,,,, lovely runner .
Oh , yeah , valve springs take a set ??? only if they are faulty . Those 20 year storage engines were fine .

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop