The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (North of 40, agedhorse, Eureka Jim, Banjoman), 236 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,060
Posts961,569
Members43,548
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bleeding by myself
#39482 Sun Feb 22 2004 11:34 PM
J
Wrench Fetcher
Anyone have any experience with NAPAs Speed bleeders?
I have been doing this alone for two weeks. I've used the "mighty Vac" and still have air in the lines. Today I found a cracked brass "T" block (the one on the differential)and I'm hoping that is the problem.
The Speed Bleeders sound like a good idea, but does anyone have any opinions?

Hope to get it done this week so I can take the truck to the Decatur Swap Meet next Sat.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
Re: Bleeding by myself
#39483 Mon Feb 23 2004 01:55 AM
T
Wrench Fetcher
On bleeding brake lines without help. Get a rubber hose that will be a tight fit on the bleed
valve and long enough to reach into a coke bottle
sitting on the floor nearly to the bottom of the
bottle. Fill the bottle about a third full of fluid and fill the master cylinder. With the
bleeder valve loose at that wheel, slowly pump
the brake pedal. The fluid will fill the lines,
the air will go out the end of the line in the
bottle and the fluid in the bottle won't allow
air to suck back in the line because the line will
be in the fluid and will suck in fluid. About
every three pumps, check the master cylinder and
the bottle to be sure it isn't over-flowing or
being sucked dry. You'll get the hang to it after
a while. Do each wheel, starting with the farther
-est from the master cylinder.

From the Truck Tinker

#39484 Mon Feb 23 2004 04:13 AM
S
I'll vouch for the method described by Truck Tinker. I bled my brand new brake system a couple of days ago using this technique and they firmed up nicely! I used a piece of clear plastic hose so I could watch the air bubbles as they moved from the cylinder to the plastic water bottle. It requires patience and several refills of the master cylinder. Pump 2 or 3 times and watch the bubbles, refill, pump, etc.
Tighten the bleeder valve when the bubbles stop, then go to the next wheel. You may not see a major change in the peddle action until the last wheel. Took me about 90 minutes, but I was in no hurry. Good luck!

#39485 Mon Feb 23 2004 04:23 AM
B
Shop Shark
truck tinker Welcome to the Bolt. Thats the way I have always done mine.

Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#39486 Mon Feb 23 2004 01:54 PM
R
rat Offline
I also do mine the same way as truck tinker with one modification. I put the container with the fluid higher than the wheel cylinder so the bubbles float to the top and never get sucked back in at all.

'52 Chevy 5 window, it ran when I parked it
'53 Chevy 5 window, running the streets with me.
'55 Massey-Ferguson, tearing up the dirt
'89 Harley FXSTS, suicide clutch
'92 Harley FLSTC, equal time with the '89
#39487 Mon Feb 23 2004 03:50 PM
C
Shop Shark
I'm doing mine this coming weekend and will report back sunday evening.

Craig's '50 Chevy 3100 5 window
My truck
If I'm not working on my truck or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#39488 Mon Feb 23 2004 03:55 PM
T
I bought a little bleeder one time that is like a one way valve. It was under $10

It allows fluid to come out but not air back in. Works great. Too bad it is so small I misplaced it. I think I will pick up another one as I need to do some brake work as well.

54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#39489 Mon Feb 23 2004 05:45 PM
S
Tony,
That sounds like a tool that I cannot live without! When you find your replacement, would you mind posting where we can get one please?
That would save alot of short trips between the master cylinder and the bleeder valve.
Thanks in advance!

#39490 Tue Feb 24 2004 01:39 AM
J
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks guys for all the suggestions.
My question really was if the speed bleeders are a good idea.

The block I removed was cracked on TWO connections and I'm confident that that is the problem.
I've worked on this truck since my Dad bought it new in '59 and have bled the brakes many times.

The pressure system sounds interesting and I understand that is the way many pro shops do it.
When I get the new block installed tomorrow I'll let you know the problems I ran into then.

Thanks for your help and I'll keep you informed.

John Atherton

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
#39491 Tue Feb 24 2004 01:59 AM
Apprentice
J.W. - Tinker's idea works the best, unless you havta, just havta, have another tool (like most of us!!). Use clear tubing, and a glass coke bottle (doesn't tip over as easy) to do it. When you do the rt. rear, angle your rt rear view mirror so you can watch the bubbles and fluid flow. This is also a great way to flush out your brake lines, as well. This should be performed every couple of years. The fluid will be rust colored until fresh fluid comes out.
Although Ralphs tool is great, I've seen less experienced personnel make a small mistake and have fluid all over the fenders and such.
Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop