The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Thinking again ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 members (dunfire, 51Craig1Ton, MikeE, 53 green 1- ton, Bill Trotter, 1 invisible), 72 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,583
Posts1,032,707
Members45,812
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NEED HELP glass for a 51 GMC
#369920 Sun Feb 03 2008 05:37 PM
S
New Guy
I just got my hands on a 1951 GMC 1/2 ton pickup. The previous owner took out the wing vents and replaced the door glass on the passenger side with a one piece glass but it is cracked.The drivers side glass is completely missing . The regulator is missing on the drivers side and the regulator on the passenger side is shot. What is the best way to get glass back in the truck? Should I put the wings back in? Where is a good place to get the glass and regulators, ETC? Thanks Rob scroogetrades@yahoo.com

Last edited by scroogetrades; Sun Feb 03 2008 05:37 PM.
Re: NEED HELP glass for a 51 GMC
scroogetrades #370730 Tue Feb 05 2008 02:49 PM
H
Houston54
Unregistered
It sounds like you have a unique problem which will take a bit of trial and error to figure out. If you have the old vent assemblies you can put them back in. If not you can try to find some used ones and rebuild them. Once that is done you can buy reproduction regulators that are correct for that year and then add the glass. That would get you back to square. Note the regulators for the vent assembly doors are different than the one piece door glass regulators. Look in the parts catalogs to identify which one you have or will need to change to.

If you want to retain the one-piece glass you may have to kluge some things together. The previous owner may have modified the door internals to accomodate the one-piece glass and the old style regulator. If that is true it may complicate the installation of the vent assemblies or will require you do the same mods to the left side door. This will include repositioning the front glass channel bar further to the front inside the door and using the old style regulator. I have not done this but others may have and hopefully they will chime in.

Providing some pictures may help or do a search for "one piece glass" and see if you find anything that will help. Good luck.

scroogetrades #370737 Tue Feb 05 2008 02:56 PM
Shop Shark
Most of the vendors can supply the glass. Put a ad in the parts wanted section for the hardware that you need. As to to what to do about the vent windows. I think that would depend on what you want, and how much trouble it will be to put it back like it was originaly,or go ahead and modify the drivers door to match the passenger door. Good Luck
Cleon

Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.

1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck

31,32,33 #371589 Thu Feb 07 2008 01:51 AM
C
Apprentice
I changed out my vent windows and one of the regulators last fall. I purchased complete new assemblies from Classic Parts of America at $225.00 per side, chrome. A little pricey but they went right in and I was moving on to the next problem. There is a bolt welded to the inside of the door that the bottom of the vent assembly attaches to. Is this still there? I don't know if a single piece of glass would work with this bolt still mounted inside the door. The regulators are available at several places. I have purchased from LMC, classic parts of America and American Classic truck parts with good experiences with all.
As to wether or not you should do it, I have been trying to do our truck as close to original as my budget and skill level allow. Martin

I'm waiting for some warmer weather before I start sitting on concrete and working with metal again. Gloves just don't seem to work for me and I don't have the luxury of a garage or hanger. Just jealous of those that do.

chrmc #371732 Thu Feb 07 2008 04:39 AM
I
Wrench Fetcher
check out my post here this will help if you want the large glass and you can do some fabrication
http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/349630/fpart/2

iceburgh #372428 Fri Feb 08 2008 03:12 PM
C
Shop Shark
That link comes up empty

Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection

Moderated by  48bigtrucks 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop