The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Hello there ...
We have a request from "Harold46".

Curious?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (destryridesagain, glenns towing, ChucknPat, DavidBraley, 52Carl, 2 invisible), 191 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,017
Posts1,000,882
Members44,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The term Stovebolt
#369105 Fri Feb 01 2008 03:20 PM
G
glasman Offline OP
Shop Shark
Hey, I'm going to stick me neck out so try to be a little kind.
I've heard the word for years, asked around town, been wondering long enough.
Why the nickname Stovebolt,what does it come from,or refer to ?

For those that might be laughing at the question. Without looking it up give me the answer to this one, cause I know it.

It had a stovebolt in it and covered with glass.
The first year,How many,What color,The name,and where was it produced.

Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles
Re: The term Stovebolt
glasman #369108 Fri Feb 01 2008 03:26 PM
P
'Bolter
No, I don't think anyone is laughing. We have pieces of this answer in various formats and one of these days, we'll actually get around to making an FAQ. Because it does come up often.

I like what Wikipidia has to say. Especially since we were intially the only reference they had!! (That was a cool surprise).

Peg

The first five days after the weekend are the hardest.
Peggy M #369125 Fri Feb 01 2008 04:02 PM
'Bolter
There is a distinct possibility that the wikipedia has promulgated what seems to be a misstatement of a sentence in the highlighted portion of the well-known old book about the "Cast-Iron Wonder", the "Stove Bolt Six" engine.

There were no slotted head-bolts on the first generation stovebolt engines. However, the sheet-metal covers attached to the engine (valve cover and side covers, and a few other parts) were attached with 1/4"x20 slotted-head bolts, that were/are commonly called stove bolts. They were not head bolts (they were not the bolts that held the head to the block).

Here is a little historical article about the Stove Bolt Six (it also misstates the existence of slotted head-bolts but it is otherwise an interesting write-up).

Tim

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
tclederman #369149 Fri Feb 01 2008 04:34 PM
P
'Bolter
Tim,

Keep that in mind!! You can help me with the FAQ!! I know we have a lot of snippets of info around. As I come across them, I could send them your way (hint, hint ohwell )

Then we always have to explain what OUR term Stovebolt means. But it will make for a good FAQ.

Peg

tclederman #369168 Fri Feb 01 2008 05:06 PM
J
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by tclederman
...There were no slotted head-bolts ...
Tim

Tim,
You are absolutely correct in that there were never slotted "head-bolts" on these trucks. However, the way I have always read the phrase "1/4"-20 slotted head bolts" is that "slotted head" is the adjectival phrase that describes "bolts" not that "slotted" describes "head bolts". If I had been writing that book, I probably would have hyphenated slotted and head so that the phrase would read "1/4"-20, slotted-head bolts".

Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Peggy M #369173 Fri Feb 01 2008 05:12 PM
G
glasman Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks Peggy,
The link to Wikipidia got me to the history on Chevy. Back when Durant hired race car driver Louis Chevrolet which brought on the Chevrolet car and then the beginning of the first Stovebolt 6 back in 1928.
It was a great history lesson and fun to read. Thanks

Dan

101st Screaming Eagles
glasman #369191 Fri Feb 01 2008 05:36 PM
G
Originally Posted by glasman
...the beginning of the first Stovebolt 6 back in 1928.

The 6 cylinder was not in a production car untill 29.
I have a 28, and like all production 1928's I know of, it has a 4 cylinder.

Grigg

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals [stovebolt.com]
1948 Chevrolet 6400 [stovebolt.com] - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup [stovebolt.com]
---All pictures [picasaweb.google.com]---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Grigg #369197 Fri Feb 01 2008 05:58 PM
G
glasman Offline OP
Shop Shark
Grigg,
Your right, I was just refering to 28 as the year that it began and did not mean to imply when it hit production in a car.
Thanks buddy, its good to know when it fist showed up in production.

101st Screaming Eagles
glasman #369206 Fri Feb 01 2008 06:11 PM
G
I figured you understood, but the wording could be misleading to others.. that's all
Grigg

Grigg #369268 Fri Feb 01 2008 08:24 PM
P
'Bolter
While working on something else, I came across this old image I've had (for the FAQ). Thought you would enjoy it.

If I recall correctly (not my strong suit), I think Bill LePage (red58) sent this to me a good long while ago ... when we were trying to do an FAQ back then, too.

Peg

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop