The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Hello there ...
We have a request from "Harold46".

Curious?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (52Carl, Conductacator, Cletus1950, Adamg, 4 invisible), 184 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,017
Posts1,000,880
Members44,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Can you still register with old plates?
#346887 Mon Dec 10 2007 04:53 AM
S
Certified Bolt Nut
I have sent an email to the TX DOT office, but haven't heard back. Are we able to register our trucks using original plates? I understand you can't if the numbers are used, but what if they aren't? Probably a stupid question, but I searched before posting with no real answer available. Thanks

Re: Can you still register with old plates?
sixtyfive c-10 #346900 Mon Dec 10 2007 05:21 AM
D
'Bolter
Most states have the YOM (year of manufacture) program. Simply because it means more $$$ for the state highway fund.
Your best bet would be to call directly to your local motor vehicle dept.
Good Luck,

delux54panel #347073 Mon Dec 10 2007 07:15 PM
G
Wrench Fetcher
With a little google searching I found this. http://www.turnerplates.com/Texas%20YOM%20Intro.html

Google "Texas YOM" Or insert any state that you want information on and add "YOM"

George M #361460 Wed Jan 16 2008 07:13 PM
J
Wrench Fetcher
"Red", my '55 AD truck, is rewgistered here in Texas with the classic 1955 orange license plate. The gals in the titling and registration office for Burnet County did it for me.

Jim G

JimGnitecki #361488 Wed Jan 16 2008 08:17 PM
S
Certified Bolt Nut
I asked last week while in renewing my wife's car and they game me the "antique automobile" application. In Texas, vehicles that are licensed, as antique is not allowed to drive expect to shows or for maintance. How strict are they, or can I register it as a classic automobile and drive it more often?

sixtyfive c-10 #362429 Fri Jan 18 2008 06:39 PM
T
Shop Shark
I can tell you what I learned in November at Parker County:

Yes, YOM plates are fully allowed, and are treated exactly like antique plates with a few exceptions.

- TWO plates are required, front and back. (This is different from antique registration, which issues only a back plate.)

- Bring the plates to your local office. They will run the number to verify it is not in use.

- The plates will be checked for color correctness. You must be running the exact same color combination as YOM. My "black" was closer to charcoal gray due to weathering. They requested I get them blacker.

- It is acceptable to run dealer plates. I'm cleared to run Farm Truck plates even though I'm registered antique and not farm. If you aren't antique or classic, you can't run YOM.

All other antique plate restrictions/fees apply. You will use the antique automobile registration form.

(I drive mine to Lowe's. Always seem to need to buy a screw or washer. wink )

Hope this helps.

Bill

TxLaTx #362442 Fri Jan 18 2008 07:22 PM
S
Certified Bolt Nut
Thanks Bill, I was aware of needing two plates (which I do) and correct color (mine are). My main question was could I call it a classic and still use the YOM plates. I will drive mine more than what an antique is allowed...maybe I should just carry a bag of bolts from Lowe's in the glove box 8-0. They did say that they plates had to be ok-ed by the supervisor at the DMV before being allowed. I don't think itís going to be that big of a deal unless the numbers are being used currently. I can't wait to get mine back on the road so I can start using my YOM plates...until then they hang in the garage overlooking reconstruction.

sixtyfive c-10 #362446 Fri Jan 18 2008 07:43 PM
J
Shop Shark
Check here http://www.turnerplates.com/YOM%20Laws%2004.html#txdmv (same site as above link).

Looks like it's your choice of registering it as Classic or Antique when you register with YOM plates.

YEAR OF MANUFACTURE LICENSE PLATE USE:
VEHICLE QUALIFYING AGE: 25 years old or older
VEHICLE TYPES QUALIFYING FOR YOM: Automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, and historic former military vehicles may be registered.
MUST TYPES MATCH: No
SINGLE/PAIR REQUIRED: Pair for passenger and truck (other than 1945 and 1946), single for Dealer
REPAINTED PLATES ALLOWED: Yes, so long as original colors are used.
MUST NUMBER CLEAR: No
NOTES: Plates must be same color as originally issued and the lettering must be clearly legible. Vehicle may be registered under Antique or Classic category, depending on use.

Last edited by Jeff Nelson; Fri Jan 18 2008 07:48 PM.

Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Jeff_from_KY #363500 Mon Jan 21 2008 04:17 AM
D
'Bolter
When you go to register it with your YOM plates,,dont offer any extra info,,just tell em what they want to hear,,the minimum to get it done. The more ya yak,,the more dollar $ign$ they $ee.
I dont like to lie,but if it takes a lil white lie to DMV to keep them from shovin it in me further than it should be,,,
Ill turn into a lyin SOB. Better in my wallet than theirs.

delux54panel #369785 Sun Feb 03 2008 04:21 AM
Z
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
I'm moving this to General Truck Talk instead of the Swap Meet area, because I believe that's where it needs to be...Joe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop