The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Hello there ...
We have a request from "Harold46".

Curious?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (destryridesagain, Bill Trotter, 32vsnake, 3 invisible), 190 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,016
Posts1,000,878
Members44,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
foot starter
#342310 Wed Nov 28 2007 02:57 AM
Apprentice
i wasnt shure where to post this so i did it here.i was just wondering if someone could explane to me how the foot starter in these trucks work?and any info i would need to know when i put it back together?

Re: foot starter
53chevyman #342319 Wed Nov 28 2007 03:07 AM
S
Shop Shark
When the foot starter is pressed, it, via the linkage, closes the contacts on the starter switch that is mounted on the top of the starter, energizing the starter and engaging its pinion with the flywheel. There's not much in putting it back together - you just want to make sure the switch on the starter is in good condition and that the linkage engages it properly.
Samantha

Samantha #342342 Wed Nov 28 2007 03:30 AM
L
Master Gabster
Just to add to this, the starter pinion is mechaically engaged by the linkage. You can actually feel it engage pack through the pedal, then when the peasal is pressed a bit further, it closes the contacts to energize. Also, on 12 volt trucks ('55-59 w/6 cylinder) it also energizes the resistor bypass to feed 12 volts to the coil for startup.

Bill Burmeister
LONGBOX55 #342473 Wed Nov 28 2007 03:36 PM
'Bolter
It's also a good theft deterrent because most people don't know how to start a stomper. grin

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Tiny #342511 Wed Nov 28 2007 05:24 PM
Apprentice
thanks guess it seems pretty simple,but what about the key?

53chevyman #342518 Wed Nov 28 2007 05:37 PM
L
'Bolter
The key simply turns the ignition on. Another nice thing about this arrangement is that you can spin the engine (like for a compression check) without turning the ignition on (if you don't have a bypass wire between the coil and starter, that is).

Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: webmaster@laroke.com

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
LAROKE #342539 Wed Nov 28 2007 06:54 PM
V
Shop Shark
I agree with the "theft deterrence" point. When I first got the firetruck, I didn't know what it was. I'd turn the ignition and figured it just wouldn't start. My Dad had to tell me about it. That was embarrassing....

Virginiafiretruck #342549 Wed Nov 28 2007 07:38 PM
Red dot, center of chest ...
First time I took my truck to the local oil change place, they had no idea how to start it. They had to come and get me. They were all amazed when I turned the key, stepped on the starter and the truck fired right up. grin

Paul Schmehl CI 12
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
1948 Chevy 3100 Five Window [stovebolt.com]
baldeagle #342591 Wed Nov 28 2007 10:14 PM
B
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by baldeagle
First time I took my truck to the local oil change place, they had no idea how to start it. They had to come and get me. They were all amazed when I turned the key, stepped on the starter and the truck fired right up. grin

I have a funny foot starter story...

My mom's family is populated with gearheads, and one of her cousins has a 1936 Plymouth Business Coupe with a foot starter.

One day last year, it started hailing, and two of my uncles (the oldest and the youngest) decided they'd do Jim a favor and put his Plymouth in the garage. The younger uncle was going to put it away.

They sat there and sat there, and I finally went out to see what the problem was.

My uncle rolls down the window. "It's not turning over!"

I ask, "Are you using the stomper?"

He replies, "Yeah... See?"

I lean in and look to see what his foot is doing...

...And I can't believe that my older uncle (who is sitting in the passenger seat) didn't say anything.

"Uncle Gary," I said, trying not to laugh, "That's the dimmer switch." grin grin grin grin grin

At least he knew there WAS a stomper. smile

~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
baldeagle #342597 Wed Nov 28 2007 10:56 PM
J
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by baldeagle

In cases like that, it's even more fun to get in the truck, turn the key to on, hold both of your hands over the dashboard, and say "Start, truck" while hitting the starter with your foot. Some of the expressions you will see are priceless.

A downside of not telling a shop how to start the truck is that they can twist the ignition key until the ignition switch or key breaks.

Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop