The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Hello there ...
We have a request from "Harold46".

Curious?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (aircommando462, Jeff Meng, destryridesagain, Bowtie john, stlcardinalsguy, 1 invisible), 168 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,016
Posts1,000,878
Members44,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Clutch cover removal
#331061 Wed Oct 31 2007 04:14 PM
R
rex Offline OP
New Guy
Hello,

New to sight. Have read from this site for days and have learned an enormous amount. I have been given a '51 CHEVY 1/2 Ton from my grandfather.(I have been waiting on this since I was a kid, he is 90 and I am 52) I have worked on vehicles for years but nothing major. The body is perfect but I have decided to rebuild the 216. Engine and transmission removal went smooth but I have my first need for help. I'm to pulling the clutch and thought this would be simple but from reading from other posts I see that the bellhousing cannot be removed to allow better access to clutch cover. Looks like cover has 6 bolts and I cannot get a wrench on the top 2 after I removed the plate from top of bellhousing. Can someone who has experienced this give advise on what tool would be used?

Thanks, and I look forward to talking to you guys.

Re: Clutch cover removal
rex #331064 Wed Oct 31 2007 04:19 PM
A
'Bolter
rex,

Welcome to the new "Bolt". If you turn the engine over using the flywheel and a screwdriver, the 'top' bolts will become the 'bottom' bolts, and will be easy to access. Was this the question?

Stuart

atomarc #331073 Wed Oct 31 2007 04:28 PM
D
Shop Shark
Just did this myself last night on my 216.Do as Stuart says. Not too hard really. Just back them out slowly and alternate because of clutch spring pressure.Now I'm dealing with the flywheel which is a little harder to to do because of bolt torque specs,locking tabs and trying to keep the flywheel from turning. Looks like I have to purchase a flywheel wrench that grabs the ring gear.

Drew
atomarc #331076 Wed Oct 31 2007 04:29 PM
R
rex Offline OP
New Guy
Stuart,

They say there are no stupid questions but after getting your reply I think this one came pretty close. It's the advise that I needed. Feel silly that I did not think of it myself.

Thanks, for your patience

Rex

rex #331185 Wed Oct 31 2007 08:23 PM
S
Shop Shark
Stuart,

I had been asking the same question for my 1958 235 engine, however I guess I didnot follow when you said "turn the engine over using the flywheel and a screwdriver", what does that really mean. My bell housing is just one peice of it and everyone says remove the flywheel first before I take the bell housing. Please throw some light.

Thanks
Ganesh

smokey_truck #331190 Wed Oct 31 2007 08:39 PM
J
Shop Shark
Ganesh,
Two (I think) of the bolts that hold the bell housing to the engine are behind the flywheel. You have to remove the flywheel to access those bolts.

Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Jeff_from_KY #331199 Wed Oct 31 2007 08:51 PM
A
'Bolter
Ganesh,

REX is trying to remove the pressure plate, or as he refers to it, the clutch cover. Instead of trying to reach up into the bellhousing to get to these six bolts, it's a simple matter to rotate the flywheel and brings the bolts into easy reach.

You can do this with a bar, a screwdriver or a flywheel 'turner'...any means to roll those bolts down to the bottom.

The clutch, pressure plate and flywheel must be removed to gain access to the upper bolts that hold the bellhousing to the block. Jeff has already mentioned this above. Does this make it more clear to you.

Stuart

Last edited by atomarc; Wed Oct 31 2007 08:52 PM.
Jeff_from_KY #331200 Wed Oct 31 2007 08:52 PM
S
Shop Shark
Ok I have to figure out how to remove the flywheel, but still curious on what Stuart said

Ganesh

smokey_truck #331419 Thu Nov 01 2007 04:05 AM
S
Shop Shark
Yes sir, now I get it, thanks Stuart appreciated

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop