The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
E V E N T Highlight

Southern
"STOVEBOLT"
Jamboree 2022
July 8 and 9
Lebanon TN

The Southern Bolters are planning their area get together in
conjunction with the
Southeast Truck Nationals at Cedars of Lebanon State Park (TN)

Check out the details, with new info on the Southern Bolters forum.

Plenty of other events in the Side Lot

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (TPR57C), 79 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,021
Posts1,036,579
Members45,915
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#329565 Sun Oct 28 2007 08:29 PM
C
chrmc Offline OP
Apprentice
I picked a bad weekend to start my brake job, with the forum down for repairs and upgrades.
I bought the double master cylinder with booster from CPP for our drum/drum brake system and rebuild kits for all four wheel cylinders.
The first wheel cylinder I take apart has moisture inside, this truck has been sitting for a long time. I tend to be rather safe than sorry and figure I should just replace all the wheel cylinders and probably the lines also. Anyone deal with this before?
I got the CPP master and booster, followed the instructions and when I slid in the booster it was about one inch to far forward to connect to the pedal. I hope I just missed something or someone has a trick to make this fit, I know I could always modify the brackets and slide it back down the frame till it fits but would also like to know why it doesn't fit. any ideas?
Martin

chrmc #329582 Sun Oct 28 2007 09:08 PM
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Brake fluid takes on moisture so over time it tends to cause rust if not replaced. Finding moisture inside a wheel cylinder is not good, but not a surprise. Replacing both the cylinders and all the lines is the safe approach.

I'm confused by the booster question. On my dual master conversion too far forward would have made everything too close to the pedal.

Its true, I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Steve@OldSub.com . www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com
'55 1st GMC Suburban . '54 GMC 250 trailer puller project. '54 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic . '54 Chevy 3100 . '47 Chevy COE . and more...
OldSub #329607 Sun Oct 28 2007 09:43 PM
C
chrmc Offline OP
Apprentice
OldSub, thanks, The end of the pedal push rod coming out of the booster is about an inch forward of the pedal assembly it needs to connect to. If the brackets, master and booster were moved towards the back of the truck one inch it would line up nicely. It sounds like you didn't have this problem.
I am doing all brakes not just the rear, my mistake in first post.
I guess I'll look into these brake line kits I see in the online catalogs, stainless seems worth the extra cost. Martin

chrmc #329694 Mon Oct 29 2007 12:20 AM
B
Master Gabster
chrmc:
My CPP booster is for 4 wheel disc and not for drum systems. However I wouldn't think there would be any difference in the bracket. Mine fit perfectly. If you need me to make some measurements for you let me know.

Jim

Modern ‘science’: the wonder of a
pre-determined mind…

The ‘baseline belief’ of astronomy:
“Any day now, we’ll pick up a tiny,
coded signal from outer space. Then
we’ll know for certain that there is
intelligence out there, because coded
information does not arise by chance”

The ‘baseline belief’ of biology:
The precisely coded genetic information in
every cell would fill many books…
but we know for certain that no intelligence
could have created life.”

O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Is that rod adjustable? Perhaps turning it will lengthen and shorten it. I used the CPP bracket too, but did not use a power booster. I had no problems with mine.

Its true, I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Steve@OldSub.com . www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com
'55 1st GMC Suburban . '54 GMC 250 trailer puller project. '54 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic . '54 Chevy 3100 . '47 Chevy COE . and more...
OldSub #330072 Mon Oct 29 2007 06:12 PM
C
chrmc Offline OP
Apprentice
The rod was adjusted to its shortest length and was still to long. I spoke with a guy at CPP this morning and he had not heard of this problem before, to short yes, to long no. He suggested cutting an inch off of the pedal push rod which should work, the thread inside the push rod looks deep enough to allow for that. I will go over my installation one more time to make sure I didn't make some boneheaded mistake before I bring out the hacksaw. The brackets for these things mount on the two holes that held the original master cylinder on so I don't see much room error.
I have a drum/drum brake system and Classic Auto Parts sent me a booster with proportioning valve which I don't need. You gotta watch these guys. Martin

chrmc #330183 Mon Oct 29 2007 10:50 PM
B
Master Gabster
chrmc
Before you cut check out the pictures on my webshots of my MC.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2933329710099708909JKYdtC

Jim

Modern ‘science’: the wonder of a
pre-determined mind…

The ‘baseline belief’ of astronomy:
“Any day now, we’ll pick up a tiny,
coded signal from outer space. Then
we’ll know for certain that there is
intelligence out there, because coded
information does not arise by chance”

The ‘baseline belief’ of biology:
The precisely coded genetic information in
every cell would fill many books…
but we know for certain that no intelligence
could have created life.”

C
chrmc Offline OP
Apprentice
Jim, Thanks for the pictures. Your set up looks just like the one I'm trying to install. It looks like you have the pedal push rod adjusted down to its shortest length. Those locking nuts at each end of the push rod, if I removed those then it might fit. I somehow doubt that would be a good idea. I was also looking at the brake light switch on the firewall. Those screws that come through from inside the cab hold the pedal 1 1/8 inch off the firewall. Is that the same with yours? I think I'll go play with that brake switch for awhile and see if I can bring it closer to the firewall pushing the connection I need farther forward.
Martin

chrmc #330504 Tue Oct 30 2007 01:57 PM
C
chrmc Offline OP
Apprentice
I was able to get about a quarter inch out of moving the brake switch screws in. I found some specs. in the factory assemly manual that want the lower brake assembly 13/16 of an inch from the firewall, so that is now lined up properly. I thought there might have been a failure in the weld at the bottom there but don't see any signs of failure or repair.
If anyone has any ideas or dealt with this in the past feel free to chime in, I can't figure out what's different with my truck to cause this.
In checking the pictures offered by BigChevy I could see the boosters mounting bracket location in relation to some rivets in the frame and mine is the same.
Looks like I'll break out the hacksaw after work tonight. Martin

chrmc #330593 Tue Oct 30 2007 05:14 PM
F
Wrench Fetcher
Originally Posted by chrmc
The rod was adjusted to its shortest length and was still to long. I spoke with a guy at CPP this morning and he had not heard of this problem before, to short yes, to long no. He suggested cutting an inch off of the pedal push rod which should work, the thread inside the push rod looks deep enough to allow for that. I will go over my installation one more time to make sure I didn't make some boneheaded mistake before I bring out the hacksaw. The brackets for these things mount on the two holes that held the original master cylinder on so I don't see much room error.
I have a drum/drum brake system and Classic Auto Parts sent me a booster with proportioning valve which I don't need. You gotta watch these guys. Martin
If you order new wheel cylinders from them be careful. I just replaced master cylinder, all wheel cylinders, shoes, lines, ect. on my '51 3100. I went back stock so I didn't run into the master cylinder problems you're dealing with, but one of the new wheel cylinders I bought from Classic leaked badly. I took it apart and found the pistons inside had been put in backwards. I didn't bother contacting them since it was easly fixed and I wanted to complete the job rather than wait for returns. Classic's always been good to me, I've bought several times from them, but maybe their quality is slipping? Good luck on the brake job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop