The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (Glen_P, Brad Allen, Elmo, booger, fixite7, 1 invisible), 146 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics121,784
Posts981,729
Members44,304
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 12volt starter and alternator for 216
#31328 Fri Jan 28 2005 06:53 AM
V
Shop Shark
Good luck ever finding a GMC starter ~ yes it's heavier duty and has an additional bushing supporting the armature , I've been hunting the scraps and core bins for one ever since fixing Proffit's on his '39 some time ago ~ the rebuilders all just laugh when I ask them .

It bolts right in place of the Chevy starter and gives your old 235 a healthy spin .

-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance
#31329 Fri Jan 28 2005 01:53 PM
R
If you want a heavy duty starter, get one off of a tractor. I think mine's off of a john deere 4020. I used parts from a '51 caddy starter to convert it to 12V. It has the intermediate bushing, four field coils, and heavy duty housing. Find a good automotive electric rebuilder who can tell you what other starters fit your engine.

But, unless you are starting your truck in the dead of winter, the 6V will be plenty strong.

Jason
#31330 Sun Jan 30 2005 07:13 AM
J
Just another thought here.

A local guy here where I live, rebuilds starters, alternators and generators and so forth. I took my Farmall Cub tractor's starter to him last summer to have him rebuild it and I was asking him what he was doing for us guys who are running 12 volts on a 6 volt starter.

His response is the same as everyone here, that the 6 volt starter will handle the extra 6 volts with no problem, just not keep grinding on the motor.

Well anyhow, he said that he worked on a older vehicle's starter that kept knocking the teeth off of the drive bendix. So he went to his parts supplier and was looking on what might help keep from doing this. Well what he found was a company that made 12 volt fields for that could be used with the 6 volt starters, what this did was lessened the hard engagement force and faster spinning of the starter motor. He said that the fields run about 12 bucks a piece.

He also told me that since he put these new 12 volt fields in this guys starter, he hasn't had any problems since. I thought COOL, now that I have several teeth missing on my flywheel ring now. Maybe this might been been what happened to mine in the first place. I know when I engage the foot starter that engine is really cranking over quite fast. But my engine starts so quick and easy, that I don't hardly have enough time to get my foot off the starter pedal.

I don't know if this may be a problem with every 6 volt starter running on 12 volts or not, but I thought it was something to think about. I don't feel there would be any problem going back to the original 6 volt system on my truck, but it sure it nice to be able to go to even go, let's say Wal-Mart and buy light bulbs in 12 volts for my old truck. Where I would probably have to order 6 volt bulbs, flasher relay and so forth from a parts store and wait a couple of days to get em. For that reason alone, and since it's a semi-daily driver, I really like having the 12 volt system on my old 54.

EVEN THOUGH, I was surprised the other day when I went to one of the parts store and they actually had a new brake light switch for my truck, on the shelf. They pulled out a couple different styles and the one was the correct one for my truck...... better yet is was only 12 bucks and even more surprising, is was MADE IN U.S.A. I about fell over.

John Niekamp

1954 Chevrolet 3800 series flatbed dump
#31331 Sun Jan 30 2005 05:34 PM
C
Shop Shark
I think mine's off of a john deere 4020.
The 4020 John Deere Diesels used two 12 volt batteries, so the starter is a 24 volt unit.

They made butane (LP Gas) powered tractors as well, I don't know if they were 12 or 24 volt.

#31332 Wed Feb 02 2005 07:05 PM
J
New Guy
Hey guys,I've been gone on business for a week and I come back and have all this feedback-Its Great! Thanks for all the comments and keep it coming!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop