The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (Chuck52, 66flea, Clarks wiring, 3800GUY, Frank50, 2 invisible), 192 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,945
Posts969,503
Members43,795
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Motor makes metal noises then goes away help!
#27481 Sat Jan 26 2002 06:24 AM
K
kool 65 Offline OP
Its a 65 chevy street truck, 350-350 turbo, I had a cam changed last year because the lifters were making metal against metal noises. It was great for a year then now in the morning it sounds like I am missing 3 quarts of oil until the engine warms up and the noises go away, sometimes it returns when I reve it up at a stop sign. The oil pressure gauge shows good pressure, should I just change the oil pump? what do you Chevy guys and gals think? thanks, Kool 65 eek :confused:

Re: Motor makes metal noises then goes away help!
#27482 Sat Jan 26 2002 07:27 AM
M
Are you running hydraulic lifters?
Were they changed with the cam?
How did you set/adjust them?

There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#27483 Sat Jan 26 2002 08:19 PM
C
Wrench Fetcher
kool65: Ditto on what Mechainiac said. Have some other specific questions, so you can repost, and to better let us know whats going on.

1. Describe actual "good oil pressure? Actual PSI?
Clean oil, and regularly changed?

2. What was the actual problem with the other cam and/or lifters? Thrust wear? Lobe wear? Bearing surface wear? Lifters worn? Describe?

3. Were the cam bearings checked, and/or replaced?
Were they worn from wiping, scratched or gouged?
Was cam bore alignment checked?

4. Were lifter bores checked/miked for fit?

5. Push rods changed also?

6. Is your set-up factory parts, cam,lifters,push rods and rockers?

7. Any aftermarket parts (concerning cam) being used? Like roller cam, roller rockers, rev-kit, or has rocker lever ratio or springs been changed?

8. Silent chain drive (factory), or are you using a gear drive, or belt drive for the cam?

9. After warm up, you said it sometimes does it again. About what RPM do the noises occur?

10. Have you "overrevved" your engine lately, before the noises/condition started again?

Repost, and let us know whats happening.

Think Chevy!

:confused: :rolleyes: wink

Houston? , We have a problem!
#27484 Sun Jan 27 2002 10:38 PM
O
Oly Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Sounds like he may be "chasing" the wrong thing. If it does it also when he revs it after warm- I am of the opinion it could be- bad wrist pins somewhere. Any takers?

Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
#27485 Mon Jan 28 2002 04:45 AM
K
kool 65 Offline OP
Well guys, thanks for the input, I suspect that it could be many things now, I am not very mechanically inclined to go in to the rockers, lifters, heads, etc. I guess that Its time to take my mechanix for a test ride around the block and look at my bank account balance. I will report back when we figure it out... frown :rolleyes: later, kool 65

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop