The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
24 members (51Gib, DaveMcK38, 68ironhead, 3B, 2 invisible), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,791
Posts942,557
Members43,043
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 3 speed overdrive
#26998 Sat Apr 23 2005 10:10 PM
T
Extreme Gabster
The stock relay is nothing more than a horn or lighting relay,an item easily gotten at any parts store. The solenoid is required for OD engagement,and as mentioned the lockout mechanism,the small lever on the tail housing,locks up the tranny so it operated exactly like a regular transmission.Best to have the OD locked out when doing burn outs,lol.
Like Cosmo, I run an OD tranny,a unit I put on a Saginaw car 4 spd.Instead of the dumb switch on the accelerator linkage,use a simple on off switch to bump the unit out or in OD at your command.I use the governor in the control circuit, but it's not totally necessary if ya always remember not to use OD in first gear.The reverse lock out is necessary,as the vehicle will not reverse if in OD cause of the overrunning clutch.

#26999 Mon Apr 25 2005 03:38 PM
M
MikeP Offline OP
Thanks for all the replies. My dad is a big Studabaker fan and talking with him found out that I can pick up the relays and even the wiring harness through them. They used the same unit and one of the parts companies still makes the parts.

I have found out that this will not be a direct bolt in. My tranny is 17" long and the new tranny is 21 1/2" long. I will have to cut the drive shaft and I will have to do something with the linkage. The gear in the rear end is a 3.73 so I will be good there.

Thanks,
Mike

#27000 Mon Apr 25 2005 06:24 PM
S
Shop Shark
There is a guy that makes an easy to wire harness. He sales his kit on Ebay.

This is what he wrote:

Electrical control kit for three speed manual transmissions with electric overdrive. This kit can replace the kickdown, relay, governor, and wiring harness (all the electrical components other than the solenoid). If you have an overdrive that is not working or if you are converting from a three speed to a three speed with overdrive this electrical kit can solve your problems. This is the kit that was described in the September 2, 2004 issue of OLD CARS Weekly Magazine & Marketplace in the Q&A section.

This kit can replace (eliminate the need for) the stock kick down switch, the relay, and the governor on 1949 and newer 3-speed manual with electric overdrive transmissions for all American made cars and trucks operating on 12 volts. Detailed easy to follow instructions for wiring and overdrive operation are included. Three different wiring plans are provided for the user to select the one of his choosing.

They are as follows:

1. Allows Manual Engagement and Disengagement At Any Speed (Provides 6 forward speeds)

2. Provides Automatic Disengagement Under Approximately 30 MPH (and does not allow overdrive operation under over approximately 30 MPH)

3. Provides Automatic Disengagement Under Approximately 30 MPH AND the Option Of Manual Operation by merely flipping a switch from manual to automatic (allows operation changing from plan one to plan two and vice versa by merely flipping a switch on your vehicle dash.

This kit can be used to update a vehicle currently having overdrive or when converting to overdrive. In all cases a working solenoid is needed, version two and three require a working governor. Version one eliminates the need for a governor. Kit includes relay, switches, electric wire, pilot light, fuse, connectors, easy to follow installation directions, as well as simple explanation of the overdrive operation and major components. All parts in the kit will operate on 6 volts except the relay. Option one (described above) can be implemented without a relay on 6 or 12 volts.

This kit works on Chevrolet, Ford, Mercury, Studebaker, Nash, Jeep, Willys, and others. Some of the componets may appear different than in the picture.
Check this out:
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZwidall

I ordered one for my 41. Real nice guy, answered all my questions and helped me a lot to understand ma OD

Frank

#27001 Tue Apr 26 2005 10:09 PM
D
Shop Shark
Frank: do you have his email address? Currently he is not selling on Ebay. Thanks, Don

#27002 Tue Apr 26 2005 10:24 PM
L
Shop Shark
Don, I just got one from him yesterday. I think he offers them one at a time. Here's the ebay link for the one I got with the pertinent info

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4545276705

Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
1991 Jeep Wrangler (Renegade)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: webmaster@laroke.com

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
#27003 Tue Apr 26 2005 11:23 PM
T
Extreme Gabster
Hope I don't offend anyone, but that's about 10-15 bucks worth of parts for 49 bucks.

#27004 Tue Apr 26 2005 11:34 PM
L
Shop Shark
I'm not offended, Tony. I'm paying for the $35 of instructions 'cause I don't have the electrical knowledge you do or the time to become an expert. My Dad had a 1st class radio license and he designed a $300 transformer/computer mainframe interface that Westinghouse was charging the power company he worked for $5000. I mentally kick myself in the butt everytime I think about times he wanted to impart this kind of knowledge to me when I was a youngster and I always had something "better" to do. I'm paying for it now.

Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
1991 Jeep Wrangler (Renegade)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: webmaster@laroke.com

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
#27005 Wed Apr 27 2005 12:17 AM
B
Shop Shark
I'm guessin our ebay gent is sellin THIS or a variant without the kickdown switch and maybe some of the lights.

Ebay gent doesn't appear to be copyrighted (wisdom if above is true). If it's not copyrighted-- why don't you guys let us know if it's a variant of the Burb Club deal. I'm thinkin he obtains on demand over/underdrive as I do and Burby does by interruptin the coil--hence no need for a microswitch (kickdown) at the carby although I'm sure the kickdown would be nice to have. wink

Buzz'n Half Dozen
#27006 Wed Apr 27 2005 12:29 AM
T
Extreme Gabster
Larry, I would and will provide simple to follow wiring diagrams for the price of a 37 cent stamp.
If you can change distributer points,you can wire the OD,it's that simple.
In fact I'll tell ya right here,get a 12 volt relay,like the one used for headlights,I'm assuming here you all have 12 volt negative ground systems.Find a place to mount the relay,hanging from the speedo cable under the dash by a ty wrap works just fine. If you don't have a speedo cable,you can actually screw it to the kick panel,lol.Run a 14 gauge wire from the fuse box or other always hot situation,(battery,starter connection).That wire goes on the "line" terminal on the relay,fuse it for 15 or 20 amps.Then from the load terminal of the relay run a wire to the OD solinoid terminal. Most solinoids have two terminals,to find the right one,temporaraly hook a wire from the battery positive,touch it on one of the screws.If you got it right,you'll hear a load click,50/50 change of being right the first try,lol.The other terminal on the soliniod is for the ignition cut,something you're not using.Now on the relay there are two terminals used to energize the contact closing coil.Take a wire from one ot those terminals to the terminal on the OD governor if it's being used,this wire is grounded by a speed sensative flyweight gizmo when the vehicle hits 25-30 MPH.Most gus also add a light to this circuit that illunminates when the governor is doing it's job..The other contact coil terminal goes to side of the igniton switch that's hot when the key is on.If you want manual control of the solinoid,cut a single throw,single pole switch into the wire running to the governor.You are finished,20 feet of stranded wire,a 6 buck relay,a few ty wraps and crimp electricial connectors.
If you don't run a governor like Cosmo,then ya only need the solenoid circuit controlled through a single pole single throw switch,no relay needed.
You may want to disconnect the battery first to avoid unwanted sparks.

#27007 Wed Apr 27 2005 01:14 AM
F
Extreme Gabster
Tony's got the scoop - and to make it easy if ya want it to look original, the repo dealers carry the correct wiring harness for 55-65 cars and trucks, like Carter for one - EL-151, $22.05 - I got one from GoldenState years ago when they were cheaper, like about 12.95 grin also got a solenoid and relay back before they disappeared grin grin and kickdown switches can be adapted from a whole bunch of modern apps
does sound like this guy has just put together info and parts available to anyone, and is makin a wage for watchin ebay and shipping stuff - and buzzin, the copyright belongs to GM!

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop