The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
20 members (Achipmunk, clrh2ofrank, AwDang, baldeagle, 81tta, 1 invisible), 233 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,082
Posts961,743
Members43,554
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Rear main seal replacement
#25345 Tue Feb 17 2004 05:40 PM
Shop Shark
:rolleyes:
Craig, I didn't realize you had a 62 engine in your truck - I thought you were running an early 235. Some of my comments may not be applicable except that I still think a rope seal is best. But, that is my opinion!

See Joe Fuchs' 1937 Chevrolet 1/2 Ton Pick Up on Facebook at The Top Of My Page. Go to: Joe Fuchs on Facebook

"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"

My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
#25346 Tue Feb 17 2004 07:14 PM
C
Shop Shark
The older NOS rope seals work better than the fel-pro replacements. The NOS seals had asbestos in them, which seals better than whatever is used now.

I did use a neoprene seal in my old '54 235, and it didnt leak any more than normal. :rolleyes: The seal ends did butt together OK in my case. I've come to expect that if a 235 isn't leaking oil, its low on oil.....

Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
#25347 Tue Feb 17 2004 08:56 PM
O
Oly Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
The rope seal is by far superior to the neoprene. Just because it is "old school" doesn't mean it is "bad school".

Ralphy, The reason you leave 1/64 inch on the upper rope seal is so it will suck into place when you bring the crank up tight. the lower seal needs to be pressed into place (but not an undo amount of pressure- let the crank do that or it will surely leak again)

Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
#25348 Wed Feb 18 2004 02:14 PM
R
rat Offline
So whats the verdict, on a '54 235 can you use neopreme? I had my enging rebuilt but has been leaking, I am in the process now of replacing the front axle with new king pins. Should I replace the rear seal with the rope while the axle is out???? :confused: :confused:

'52 Chevy 5 window, it ran when I parked it
'53 Chevy 5 window, running the streets with me.
'55 Massey-Ferguson, tearing up the dirt
'89 Harley FXSTS, suicide clutch
'92 Harley FLSTC, equal time with the '89
#25349 Wed Feb 18 2004 03:58 PM
C
cmayna Offline OP
Shop Shark
rat,
I'll be in the same situation as you very soon while I'm replacing my entire front axle assy. No matter what, I will drop and clean out the sludge in the pan and replace it's gasket.
Also no one has yet to answer part of my original question which was if replacing neoprene seal if you still need to loosen the other caps to allow the crank to drop a tad like you would when replacing the rope type seal.

Craig's '50 Chevy 3100 5 window
My truck
If I'm not working on my truck or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#25350 Wed Feb 18 2004 05:04 PM
P
Shop Shark
To Rat, as I mentioned earlier on an engine using shims the shim extends about half way on to the parting line of seal preventing the seal ends from butt completly together. If you cut the shim back so the seals can butt the oil can go arould the back of the seal there the shim should be. It is a little hard to explain, but if you study it you will see what I meen. Also the seal groove in the block is deeper on the pre 55 engines so the neoprene seal will not have the correct presure aginst the crank.

cmayna, if your engine has a rope seal now you will need to drop the crank some only to get the old seal out, the neoprene seals when oiled will slip in and out easily.

See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
#25351 Wed Feb 18 2004 05:18 PM
T
Extreme Gabster
I've installed both the rope style and rubber lip seal, both work equally well if done carefully.Yes, get a NOS rope , works better than the rubber seal if the crank area where the seal rides is worn or pitted.The rear seals in my trucks don't leak more than a drop now and then and it's maybe just the oily mess underneath created by the road draft tube.
It's always best to install the rope seal with the crankshaft removed like some mentioned above by Ralphy.But a satisfactory repair( leaks not too bad,lol.) can be accomplished by just drooping the crank slightly, which requires tranny removal.

#25352 Wed Feb 18 2004 06:54 PM
Shop Shark
:mad: grin
Craig - Get a rope!

See Joe Fuchs' 1937 Chevrolet 1/2 Ton Pick Up on Facebook at The Top Of My Page. Go to: Joe Fuchs on Facebook

"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"

My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
#25353 Wed Feb 18 2004 10:26 PM
O
Oly Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
"Should I replace the rear seal with the rope while the axle is out????"

YES!!! by all means do!

So much for being "Blonde Proof"-LOL

"Also no one has yet to answer part of my original question which was if replacing neoprene seal if you still need to loosen the other caps to allow the crank to drop a tad like you would when replacing the rope type seal."

Yes!!! It makes things go a lot easier and you can get a "sure" fit when it goes back together.

The rope seal is by far the best bet. Don't use a jack to push it into place. You could push it to tight and then it will leak for sure.You want to let the crank push the upper seal into place for the seal to fit perfectly. If you have an old reground crank (don't we all?) then there will be some amount of wear on the crank (from grim) where the seal goes. The neoprene seals are made only to one size and can't swell up like the rope seals to fill the gap.

I know, from experience, that this can be a miserable task at best, but if done properly you shouldn't need to do it for another decade or so.

Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
#25354 Wed Feb 18 2004 11:33 PM
S
Shop Shark
Iput an 54 235 in my 51.I ordered a gasket set from napa and it came with a neoprene seal.I installed it and its worked fine for me.

1942 1\2 Ton
1951 1\2 Ton 55 willys cj-5
1954 and 59 Cushman Scooter
1960 Biscayne Sedan
1965 G/10 panel van
1966 C/30 Grizzly Motorhome
You know you're a 'Bolter when your daily driver is older than you are...
My progress pics
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop