The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (78buckshot, 37 GC, azcornman, 52Carl, Barnfind49, 1 invisible), 109 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,477
Posts956,637
Members43,409
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Firewall or Frame Mount Power Brake Booster?
#241058 Thu Sep 20 2007 06:42 PM
A
Wrench Fetcher
Hello Forum!

I am planing to convert my original single master break cylinder to a dual cylinder with a booster.

I found the firewall & the frame mount kits and I would like to know which one you can recommend.
If I choose the firewall mount kit, can my E-break remain in the position under the steering wheel?

1/2 t Fleetside 59

Links:
firewall: http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1947_59_Trucks/4753FBBD.htm
frame:
http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1947_59_Trucks/4754BBD.htm

'59 Apache
'67 Mustang
Re: Firewall or Frame Mount Power Brake Booster?
#241059 Thu Sep 20 2007 09:40 PM
C
Apprentice
Apachepride,

My descision was a matter of looks. I don't like the looks of the firewall mounted set-up cluttering up the engine compartment.

I went with the original mounting position (using a set-up I got off of ebay from Pirate Jacks). It mounted up really easy. I wish I could tell you more, but I have not gotten it much past that point yet.

Good luck.

Carl

CCB
#241060 Fri Sep 21 2007 07:17 AM
M
Shop Shark
It's really a matter of looks. I chose a firewall unit for easy access.

Robert C.
Think critically, grow spiritually, change your world..

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
#241061 Fri Sep 21 2007 01:27 PM
W
Master Gabster
i am with cbrackle, i have the frame mount and if done right how often do you need to access the unit? ron

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
#241062 Fri Sep 21 2007 01:48 PM
B
Shop Shark
A frame mount booster does indeed clean up the engine deck. I use it on my hotrod. You need to understand that a frame mount has several issues not associated with the other type. Things like master cylinder might be mounted lower that the brake cylinders and the brake lines may be higher than the master cylinder. These issues are addressed on several good web sites so you need to review them for info on such things as bleeding the brakes.

Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
#241064 Fri Sep 21 2007 02:21 PM
D
Shop Shark
I used the frame mounted setup on my 55.The only drawback is if you have to add brake fluid to the system,as when bleeding the brakes.I used a Lokar floor mounted E brake,in my truck.Mainly for the nostalgic look.It looks good right beside the Lokar shifter.I see no reason why you could not retain the original Ebrake lever.

#241065 Fri Sep 21 2007 02:30 PM
S
Shop Shark
Just a tip ,
If you go with the firewall mount Booster ..save yourself a headache down the road and FAB up a backing plate a bit bigger than your booster on the engine side and add some support bars .....on the inside.
in my expierience the stock firewall is too thin and after yrs of pushin the pedal you will get stress cracks an eventual fail of the firewall metal .
Xtra support is needed to carry the weight of the booster/master and stress of shovin the brake pedal to the floor for STUPID HUMANS that WILL pull out in front of you .
just a heads up
Tim

1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
#241066 Fri Sep 21 2007 08:03 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Originally posted by WE b OLD:
i am with cbrackle, i have the frame mount and if done right how often do you need to access the unit? ron
Often enough for regular maintenance, right?? A low master is an indicator for leaks unseen else where!! Don't run out of fluid when you need it the most!!

#241067 Fri Sep 21 2007 08:07 PM
Originally posted by SW_Radial:
Just a tip ,
If you go with the firewall mount Booster ..save yourself a headache down the road and FAB up a backing plate a bit bigger than your booster on the engine side and add some support bars .....on the inside.
in my expierience the stock firewall is too thin and after yrs of pushin the pedal you will get stress cracks an eventual fail of the firewall metal .
Xtra support is needed to carry the weight of the booster/master and stress of shovin the brake pedal to the floor for STUPID HUMANS that WILL pull out in front of you .
just a heads up
Tim
The CPP unit he provided a link for, comes with a nice firewall / dash support bracket. I'm going firewall because I don't really build a truck so I can show other people what's under my hood. I build to suit me. Easy access is the name of the game for me.

#241068 Fri Sep 21 2007 10:31 PM
B
Master Gabster
Frame for me. I didn't like the additional fabrication needed to install the swing petal, plus I like a clean firewall. After all, we have to crawl under the truck to check the differential fluid, etc.
If one worries about access to the MC, cutting a hole and making an access to service it would be easier than changing brake petals.
But there's no accounting for tastes, that's why Campbell's makes so many soups.

Jim

Modern ‘science’: the wonder of a
pre-determined mind…

The ‘baseline belief’ of astronomy:
“Any day now, we’ll pick up a tiny,
coded signal from outer space. Then
we’ll know for certain that there is
intelligence out there, because coded
information does not arise by chance”

The ‘baseline belief’ of biology:
The precisely coded genetic information in
every cell would fill many books…
but we know for certain that no intelligence
could have created life.”

#241069 Sat Sep 22 2007 12:12 PM
Shop Shark
I used a firewall mounted power MC, but only because I have reached that age that I will check it and fill it, if it is not "out of sight and out of mind".

Always get a 2nd opinion, especially if I am the source of the 1st opinion.
#241070 Sat Sep 22 2007 09:04 PM
A
Wrench Fetcher
OK, thanks to everybody! That was really a great help. I will choose the frame mounted MC because there are less modifications and I want to keep the Truck as original as possible.
But also if the MC would be mounted on the firewall, I would say it looks clean and it is not perturbing. smile

'59 Apache
'67 Mustang
#241071 Sun Sep 23 2007 06:34 PM
P
Wrench Fetcher
Quick question for everyone: I'm also considering the frame-mounted option, but would prefer to use a hydro-boost system instead of the vacumn-boost system (I'm planning on using a Diesel).

Has anyone seen a booster/master cylinder offering of this type of system, or will I be looking at modifying a stock system from a donor vehicle?

Lane

#241072 Sun Sep 23 2007 07:48 PM
B
Master Gabster
Lane:
There was a topic that covered this a few months back. Do a search.

Jim

Modern ‘science’: the wonder of a
pre-determined mind…

The ‘baseline belief’ of astronomy:
“Any day now, we’ll pick up a tiny,
coded signal from outer space. Then
we’ll know for certain that there is
intelligence out there, because coded
information does not arise by chance”

The ‘baseline belief’ of biology:
The precisely coded genetic information in
every cell would fill many books…
but we know for certain that no intelligence
could have created life.”

#241073 Sun Sep 23 2007 09:05 PM
G
Do a search for hydroboost.

I used one, and we have discussed it before.
Pictures of what I used are on my link below.
While it works fine, and I will continue to use it, next time I would mount the booster and MC to a separate bracket on the frame and use a long push rod from the pedal to go back to the booster.
In one of the other threads on the subject I posted links to the brackets and parts I would use if I did it again.

By the way, what diesel do you plan to use?
Grigg

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals [stovebolt.com]
1948 Chevrolet 6400 [stovebolt.com] - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup [stovebolt.com]
---All pictures [picasaweb.google.com]---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
#241074 Mon Sep 24 2007 01:37 AM
P
Wrench Fetcher
Grigg,

I've been in discussion with a company in the U.S. that's working on a wiring harness for the Duramax. It'll need 12v positive and negative from the batteries (to the starter), plus 12v constant and switched power. That's all.

It's supposed to work with the LBZ and LLY models to start with, expanding to the LB7 and LMM as demand warrants it. They are still in the testing phase, but introduction is planned for the first quarter of 2008.

Lane

#241075 Mon Sep 24 2007 01:42 AM
L
Master Gabster
Have you checked with Banks? I think that they already have a stand alone system available for the D-Max.
A though on the under cab master cylinders, one could use a master cylinder with the remote reservoir. Mount the reservoir in a conveniant location and still keep the master cylinder itself under the floor. That's how I would do it if i ever change to a later style.

Bill Burmeister
#241076 Mon Sep 24 2007 02:08 AM
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
I second the remote reservoir.

The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
#241077 Mon Sep 24 2007 02:12 AM
G
I just read in the latest edition of Diesel Power Magazine that there is now already available a stand alone computer to run the Duramax by it's self.

I'll have to find it.

Do use a remote reservoir, I did for my truck with hydroboost under the floor, much easier.

Grigg

1948 Chevrolet 6400 [stovebolt.com] - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
#241078 Mon Sep 24 2007 02:52 AM
S
Wrench Fetcher
I got my dual master cylinder, booster, bracket, and extra long bar from Pirate Jacks for about 199$ It fit perfectly with out any modification. I would recommend the frame mount. I want a remote reservoir but not yet willing to pay the money asked for modified caps. Has anybody made their on or modified their cylinder cap to allow for a remote reservoir.

#241079 Mon Sep 24 2007 07:02 PM
Well, if you want to throw exotic in the hat, you could always get Heidt's inside the cab master booster set up and have a clean frame and firewall while still using gravity to help you bleed those brakes!

#241080 Tue Sep 25 2007 01:08 AM
G
Here are the people who supposedly can make a Duramax work without the rest of the truck.

www.exergyengineering.com and or www.peninsularengine.com/

Grigg

#241081 Tue Sep 25 2007 04:50 AM
C
Shop Shark
The firewall mount is most convenient, but the frame mount looks cleaner in the engine compartment. It boils down to what you like best. I go for the looks, since you seldom have to add brake fluid, and incidentally a pump type "oil can" works good for pumping brake fluid.

ApachePride #1342595 Fri Jan 17 2020 07:41 PM
F
New Guy
I found a frame mount master cylinder and booster for my 58 Apache. “Brothers” Website says will not work with manual transmission. “Classic parts” has the same set up and it doesn’t mention this at all. Has anyone here used a frame mount master cylinder and booster on their manual transmission truck? Floor shift

ApachePride #1342603 Fri Jan 17 2020 08:27 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Leghorn, just start a new thread instead of dragging up a 13 year old thread. Please

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Foghorn Leghorn #1343620 Sat Jan 25 2020 10:48 PM
F
Wrench Fetcher
According to several people I contacted will not work. Frame mounted power booster master will only work on automatic trucks. Someone previously installed one on my truck which has original column shift three speed 56 and the brake and clutch pedals contacted each other. Have since converted to a manual corvette master cylinder and bracket from POL

ApachePride #1343714 Sun Jan 26 2020 04:35 AM
P
Shop Shark
I know it’s an old thread, but I installed a 7 “ booster and dual master on the frame of a 51 GMC , 1 ton with PTO and 4 speed floor shift. It fit without a problem. Although you need a remote reservoir too.

ApachePride #1345961 Tue Feb 11 2020 03:22 PM
B
Wrench Fetcher
PD, I'm adding 4 wheel disc brakes to my 1950 GMC. Do recall where you sourced the 7" booster end remote reservoir?

1950 GMC 250 Pickup
1965 Mustang Convertible
1972 K5 Blazer
1973 Buick Centurion 455 Convertible
ApachePride #1356954 Fri Apr 24 2020 09:51 PM
M
Diy
Since I'm in the market I might as well ask... Is everyone running vacuum from the intake or a dual action fuel pump? I'm looking for a power conversion and want to make sure there aren't any known issue when it comes to vacuum.

I'm running a standard 216 rebuilt with stock intake for now and was planning on running the original vacuum wiper line to the booster.

1949 Chevy 3600 w/ 216 and sm420 floor shift
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop