The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (49oneton, Frank50, heidel410, Fox, Justhorsenround, 1 invisible), 100 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,514
Posts956,953
Members43,424
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Firewall or Frame Mount Power Brake Booster?
#241069 Sat Sep 22 2007 12:12 PM
Shop Shark
I used a firewall mounted power MC, but only because I have reached that age that I will check it and fill it, if it is not "out of sight and out of mind".

Always get a 2nd opinion, especially if I am the source of the 1st opinion.
#241070 Sat Sep 22 2007 09:04 PM
A
Wrench Fetcher
OK, thanks to everybody! That was really a great help. I will choose the frame mounted MC because there are less modifications and I want to keep the Truck as original as possible.
But also if the MC would be mounted on the firewall, I would say it looks clean and it is not perturbing. smile

'59 Apache
'67 Mustang
#241071 Sun Sep 23 2007 06:34 PM
P
Wrench Fetcher
Quick question for everyone: I'm also considering the frame-mounted option, but would prefer to use a hydro-boost system instead of the vacumn-boost system (I'm planning on using a Diesel).

Has anyone seen a booster/master cylinder offering of this type of system, or will I be looking at modifying a stock system from a donor vehicle?

Lane

#241072 Sun Sep 23 2007 07:48 PM
B
Master Gabster
Lane:
There was a topic that covered this a few months back. Do a search.

Jim

Modern ‘science’: the wonder of a
pre-determined mind…

The ‘baseline belief’ of astronomy:
“Any day now, we’ll pick up a tiny,
coded signal from outer space. Then
we’ll know for certain that there is
intelligence out there, because coded
information does not arise by chance”

The ‘baseline belief’ of biology:
The precisely coded genetic information in
every cell would fill many books…
but we know for certain that no intelligence
could have created life.”

#241073 Sun Sep 23 2007 09:05 PM
G
Do a search for hydroboost.

I used one, and we have discussed it before.
Pictures of what I used are on my link below.
While it works fine, and I will continue to use it, next time I would mount the booster and MC to a separate bracket on the frame and use a long push rod from the pedal to go back to the booster.
In one of the other threads on the subject I posted links to the brackets and parts I would use if I did it again.

By the way, what diesel do you plan to use?
Grigg

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals [stovebolt.com]
1948 Chevrolet 6400 [stovebolt.com] - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup [stovebolt.com]
---All pictures [picasaweb.google.com]---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
#241074 Mon Sep 24 2007 01:37 AM
P
Wrench Fetcher
Grigg,

I've been in discussion with a company in the U.S. that's working on a wiring harness for the Duramax. It'll need 12v positive and negative from the batteries (to the starter), plus 12v constant and switched power. That's all.

It's supposed to work with the LBZ and LLY models to start with, expanding to the LB7 and LMM as demand warrants it. They are still in the testing phase, but introduction is planned for the first quarter of 2008.

Lane

#241075 Mon Sep 24 2007 01:42 AM
L
Master Gabster
Have you checked with Banks? I think that they already have a stand alone system available for the D-Max.
A though on the under cab master cylinders, one could use a master cylinder with the remote reservoir. Mount the reservoir in a conveniant location and still keep the master cylinder itself under the floor. That's how I would do it if i ever change to a later style.

Bill Burmeister
#241076 Mon Sep 24 2007 02:08 AM
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
I second the remote reservoir.

The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
#241077 Mon Sep 24 2007 02:12 AM
G
I just read in the latest edition of Diesel Power Magazine that there is now already available a stand alone computer to run the Duramax by it's self.

I'll have to find it.

Do use a remote reservoir, I did for my truck with hydroboost under the floor, much easier.

Grigg

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals [stovebolt.com]
1948 Chevrolet 6400 [stovebolt.com] - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup [stovebolt.com]
---All pictures [picasaweb.google.com]---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
#241078 Mon Sep 24 2007 02:52 AM
S
Wrench Fetcher
I got my dual master cylinder, booster, bracket, and extra long bar from Pirate Jacks for about 199$ It fit perfectly with out any modification. I would recommend the frame mount. I want a remote reservoir but not yet willing to pay the money asked for modified caps. Has anybody made their on or modified their cylinder cap to allow for a remote reservoir.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop