The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (Johnny N, JoeFranklin, KEVINSKI, Jon G, heidel410, 1 invisible), 126 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,515
Posts956,958
Members43,424
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Firewall or Frame Mount Power Brake Booster?
#241058 Thu Sep 20 2007 06:42 PM
A
Wrench Fetcher
Hello Forum!

I am planing to convert my original single master break cylinder to a dual cylinder with a booster.

I found the firewall & the frame mount kits and I would like to know which one you can recommend.
If I choose the firewall mount kit, can my E-break remain in the position under the steering wheel?

1/2 t Fleetside 59

Links:
firewall: http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1947_59_Trucks/4753FBBD.htm
frame:
http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1947_59_Trucks/4754BBD.htm

'59 Apache
'67 Mustang
Re: Firewall or Frame Mount Power Brake Booster?
#241059 Thu Sep 20 2007 09:40 PM
C
Apprentice
Apachepride,

My descision was a matter of looks. I don't like the looks of the firewall mounted set-up cluttering up the engine compartment.

I went with the original mounting position (using a set-up I got off of ebay from Pirate Jacks). It mounted up really easy. I wish I could tell you more, but I have not gotten it much past that point yet.

Good luck.

Carl

CCB
#241060 Fri Sep 21 2007 07:17 AM
M
Shop Shark
It's really a matter of looks. I chose a firewall unit for easy access.

Robert C.
Think critically, grow spiritually, change your world..

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
#241061 Fri Sep 21 2007 01:27 PM
W
Master Gabster
i am with cbrackle, i have the frame mount and if done right how often do you need to access the unit? ron

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
#241062 Fri Sep 21 2007 01:48 PM
B
Shop Shark
A frame mount booster does indeed clean up the engine deck. I use it on my hotrod. You need to understand that a frame mount has several issues not associated with the other type. Things like master cylinder might be mounted lower that the brake cylinders and the brake lines may be higher than the master cylinder. These issues are addressed on several good web sites so you need to review them for info on such things as bleeding the brakes.

Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
#241064 Fri Sep 21 2007 02:21 PM
D
Shop Shark
I used the frame mounted setup on my 55.The only drawback is if you have to add brake fluid to the system,as when bleeding the brakes.I used a Lokar floor mounted E brake,in my truck.Mainly for the nostalgic look.It looks good right beside the Lokar shifter.I see no reason why you could not retain the original Ebrake lever.

#241065 Fri Sep 21 2007 02:30 PM
S
Shop Shark
Just a tip ,
If you go with the firewall mount Booster ..save yourself a headache down the road and FAB up a backing plate a bit bigger than your booster on the engine side and add some support bars .....on the inside.
in my expierience the stock firewall is too thin and after yrs of pushin the pedal you will get stress cracks an eventual fail of the firewall metal .
Xtra support is needed to carry the weight of the booster/master and stress of shovin the brake pedal to the floor for STUPID HUMANS that WILL pull out in front of you .
just a heads up
Tim

1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
#241066 Fri Sep 21 2007 08:03 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Originally posted by WE b OLD:
i am with cbrackle, i have the frame mount and if done right how often do you need to access the unit? ron
Often enough for regular maintenance, right?? A low master is an indicator for leaks unseen else where!! Don't run out of fluid when you need it the most!!

#241067 Fri Sep 21 2007 08:07 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Originally posted by SW_Radial:
Just a tip ,
If you go with the firewall mount Booster ..save yourself a headache down the road and FAB up a backing plate a bit bigger than your booster on the engine side and add some support bars .....on the inside.
in my expierience the stock firewall is too thin and after yrs of pushin the pedal you will get stress cracks an eventual fail of the firewall metal .
Xtra support is needed to carry the weight of the booster/master and stress of shovin the brake pedal to the floor for STUPID HUMANS that WILL pull out in front of you .
just a heads up
Tim
The CPP unit he provided a link for, comes with a nice firewall / dash support bracket. I'm going firewall because I don't really build a truck so I can show other people what's under my hood. I build to suit me. Easy access is the name of the game for me.

#241068 Fri Sep 21 2007 10:31 PM
B
Master Gabster
Frame for me. I didn't like the additional fabrication needed to install the swing petal, plus I like a clean firewall. After all, we have to crawl under the truck to check the differential fluid, etc.
If one worries about access to the MC, cutting a hole and making an access to service it would be easier than changing brake petals.
But there's no accounting for tastes, that's why Campbell's makes so many soups.

Jim

Modern ‘science’: the wonder of a
pre-determined mind…

The ‘baseline belief’ of astronomy:
“Any day now, we’ll pick up a tiny,
coded signal from outer space. Then
we’ll know for certain that there is
intelligence out there, because coded
information does not arise by chance”

The ‘baseline belief’ of biology:
The precisely coded genetic information in
every cell would fill many books…
but we know for certain that no intelligence
could have created life.”

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop