The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (66rollback, DougH6100, Drew54, ccanepa50, DennisM, 1 invisible), 218 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,897
Posts969,144
Members43,785
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Flaring brake lines how-to
#217311 Tue Oct 10 2006 01:22 AM
B
Shop Shark
My $3.00 retool tube flarer and my $20.00 FLAPS tubing bender work pretty good.

I'm better at flaring than bending, but the job gets done.

~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
#217312 Tue Oct 10 2006 02:01 AM
L
Master Gabster
Ter, there are metric brake lines, but they are used on modern vehicles and have a different type flare. It's called an ISO or "bubble" flare. Not compatible with the older style brake components.
By the way, there's nothing wrong with using an inexpesive flaring tool. I have an old KD kit that does very well, though it does require some extra clamping force to keep the line from slipping.

Bill Burmeister
#217313 Tue Oct 10 2006 03:14 AM
B
Shop Shark
About 15 years ago, when I was 17, I bought the mid-grade flare kit from Snap On. The kit still sells for right around $100; hasn't gone up in price much at all since I got mine.
It comes with a very nice tubing cutter, and directions. It is because of this kit that I enjoy doing brake lines so much! Really. I do.
I've never had a flare split or crack, and they've always turned out well.
I also have the expensive kit shown in the first post. It's nice, but the simple Snap-on one does the job well for me, and I typically use it.

Essential for the job is a good tubing cutter. You MUST have a nice square cut on the end. I also added a set of very small files to de-burr the ends (this includes round and tapered needle files to get inside the tubing).
I also have one $65 tubing bender that will bend 3/8-inch line into a radius the size of a quarter. NOTHING can beat it for making good, easy bends for a factory fit and finish. I need to invest in two more of those; 1/4 inch and 1/2-inch.

If you buy cheap tubing tools from NAPA or other places, you'll always be frustrated. This is one of those jobs where good tools make or break (brake?) the job.

Brad

SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!

Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
#217314 Tue Oct 10 2006 04:54 AM
L
Master Gabster
This is the flare tool that I used in the demonstation. It's a Snap-On/Blue point. It is a little expensive for the average 'Bolter. I use it in my work as it does any flare for late model cars. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...6&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog This one is the type that most of you will use. It's made by KD, and can be found at the flaps for about $20. It does a good job, but requres practice and patience to get good flares. http://www.kd-tools.com/2199.htm

Bill Burmeister
#217315 Wed Oct 11 2006 12:06 AM
A
you can try running a tap through the hole to roughten it up a bit more to grab the line.I was having the same problem with the line sliding throught, tapping the block helps, the real fix was i found a snap-on flare block and have no problems even with 5/16 line..

#217316 Tue Feb 13 2007 04:53 AM
Y
Shop Shark
I purchased a "Lisle #31310" flairing tool last week and attempted to do my rear axle brake line. I practiced on some old original lines with limited success. The old lines wanted to split, but the new line turned out OK. What seemed to help was to use pliers to hold the adapter and cone from turning in the brake line during the process. The new brake line seemed to be "softer"? Just my 2cents.

#217317 Tue Feb 13 2007 07:54 PM
B
Shop Shark
I must be doing something wrong, I've bent up two trucks worth of lines, including fuel with my cheapy Lisle one and didn't have any problems. Maybe a half dozen redos. I cut the tubing with a tube cutter, deburred, filed it so it's perfectly square with a slight chamfer,clamped the whole shebang in a big vise, made sure the die tip was well lubed with brake fluid, and slowly formed the flare making sure the die remained square. So far after about 5,000 miles, no leaks.

Bob

#217318 Tue Feb 13 2007 10:01 PM
L
Master Gabster
Alright, Denny! Your flares look just as good as the factory done ones, maybe even a little better. Just don't forget to put the fittings on before you flare. smile

Bill Burmeister
#217319 Tue Feb 13 2007 11:33 PM
D
Wrench Fetcher
I checked out Fedhills website. The tech page has a lot of info on nuts and fittings.
http://www.fedhillusa.com/?page=tech2

Joe
--------------------------
'67 Chevy C20 fleetside, 250 inline, 3 on tree, heavy duty clutch and brakes, heater, steel bed floor
-----------
"Tighten until the stud snaps, then back off half a turn."
#217320 Wed Feb 14 2007 12:04 AM
B
Master Gabster
OK Denny cough it up!!!
We want details on this Limy tool, where you got it and how much it cost! I ordered that $100 kit from Snap on the other day. However from all I have read it probably won't work any better than my Home Depot job.

Jim

Modern ‘science’: the wonder of a
pre-determined mind…

The ‘baseline belief’ of astronomy:
“Any day now, we’ll pick up a tiny,
coded signal from outer space. Then
we’ll know for certain that there is
intelligence out there, because coded
information does not arise by chance”

The ‘baseline belief’ of biology:
The precisely coded genetic information in
every cell would fill many books…
but we know for certain that no intelligence
could have created life.”

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop