The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (CrowbarBob), 219 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,033
Posts961,341
Members43,542
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Gas Tank Cleaning - (Rotissori Style)
#210237 Thu Jul 13 2006 03:54 AM
Master Gabster
A bare tank will rust if not coated. WD40 will wash off with the gasoline. Your sending unit should be OK if you keep the rheostat clean.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
#210238 Thu Jul 13 2006 06:49 PM
B
Shop Shark
I had varnish type crud on the bottom of one of mine. I took regular carb cleaner and poured it in the tank and let it sit for a few days. Then before I drained it, I put in a bunch of 3/8 nuts and bolts. I shook it around a bunch and then drained it back into my carb cleaner pail through my strainer bucket. It took all the old crap out and cleaned my nuts and bolts too. I just pressure washed the inside of the tank, blew it as dry as I could and then took some wd40 and poured a quart in it and shook it to coat all the surfaces and remove any moisture. drain it and away I went.

#210239 Thu Jul 13 2006 11:58 PM
R
rat Offline
I also heard of the "coating" on gas tanks flaking off and causing trouble. I used nuts and bolts in my tank. Shook them around and after that I bought a quart of metal "Prep and Primer" acid from Home Depot. Sealed all openings in tank and sloshed the acid around. Rinsed it with water and let it set in the sun for a day, in Phoenix summer sun it doesn't take long. I filled it with gas within 3 days and has been great ever since.

'52 Chevy 5 window, it ran when I parked it
'53 Chevy 5 window, running the streets with me.
'55 Massey-Ferguson, tearing up the dirt
'89 Harley FXSTS, suicide clutch
'92 Harley FLSTC, equal time with the '89
#210240 Thu Jul 20 2006 12:57 AM
B
You guys are scaring me to death. Gas tanks can blow op like a bomb. I saw a picture of a gas station that had a gas tank blow up. No more gas station. I will pay some one to do a professional job on a gas tank before I take a chance on blowing my head off.

I like old trucks
#210241 Thu Jul 20 2006 06:19 PM
Extreme Gabster
Most radiator shops will also hot-tank and clean gas tanks.

Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#210242 Wed Jul 26 2006 12:48 PM
R
Rance Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks Josiah, I'll consider that. I havn't made much progress. Actually, NO progress to speak of. I let it air out in the yard for a couple of days. It's been in the garage for a week or two now continuing to air out. Sure can't wait till my back stops hurtin & other things stop breaking so I can get back to 'Ole Booger'. Life sure is busy when you're a Mr. Fixit.

66 C10 FS/LB 292/4-spd manual (I also enjoy Hang Gliding)
I'm too sexy for my hair, that's why it isn't there
#210243 Thu Jul 27 2006 04:22 AM
S
Shop Shark
Latest issue of Hot Rod Magazine shows how to clean out a gas tank. The one they are doing is from an AD truck.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

#210244 Thu Nov 02 2006 01:43 AM
R
Rance Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Finally an end to this story. About a week ago I put about a gallon or more of pea grael in the tank, strapped it to the old fashoned swing in the front yard and began rocking it back and forth. I spent 15min on each side and then spent another 15min in the upright position. You can guess what the rocks looked like when I poured them out. Red as could be. I followed that up with a water rinse. Then I poured a quart of oil and about a gallon of gasoline in and made sure I coated all inner surfaces with that.

Had a bit of trouble getting the filler neck reattached to the rubber boot but was successful. Took it out around the block the next day and about 18mi a few days later. NO MORE STARVING THE ENGINE of gas. grin Now on to bigger and better things. Thanks again for all your suggestions and help.

66 C10 FS/LB 292/4-spd manual (I also enjoy Hang Gliding)
I'm too sexy for my hair, that's why it isn't there
#210245 Thu Nov 02 2006 11:40 AM
S
hi , i have done loads of petrol tanks, and the last one i got half a bucket of flaking rust out of it, i used some very light taps with a small rubber hammer first, just to loosen any heavy crap, then shake that out,then block any holes with rubber bungs etc,then fill with hot water and a mix of caustic soda,leave a while, then drain out, then use one of those kits from eastwood, and follow instructions, i have had no trouble at all with these kits , it can be messy, but it sets like concrete, and you waste a lot, what i drain out, i use on the outside of tank with a brush, especially round any seams, then refinish outside of tank as desired, just remember to keep any fuel feeds and drain holes clear as you go along, and once stirred it is not reusable, as it sets. keep tank full as much as poss with fuel and if laid up for along time add there gas preservative, which comes in there kit, hope this might help , steve, uk

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop