The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (chaz71, coilover, smaiocco), 197 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics121,943
Posts983,257
Members44,348
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Is this a truck or car engine?
#208903 Sat Jun 03 2006 06:49 AM
X
The only "light truck" in which the Z engine would have been used was the sedan delivery, which is really a car.

Curt
----
1953 Chevy 6400, 1957 Chevy 2dr Sedan
--"Mediocrity is easy, the good things take time"
#208904 Mon Jun 05 2006 04:01 PM
W
Hey, Fredstev:

No.1 Conveyor in Tonawanda?

Where the heck did you find THAT information? That's getting down to some details! Must be some library you have.

Chris in NC

Spito, spitero, huchtooey splateus!
1958 GMC Series 100 stepside
1954 Chevrolet Bel Air 4-DR sedan
1966 Chrysler Newport 2-DR hardtop
#208905 Mon Jun 05 2006 04:24 PM
W
So, it looks like from Keith's online Chevy manuals then (thanks Frank) my original Blue Flame would have had a "ZE" at the end also, because this car also has the original power steering.

So sometime in it's history, an owner swapped out the Blue Flame. Anyway, this engine is strong and climbs the Appalachians like a mountain goat! Think I'll keep it. Besides, a 2-bolt valve cover probably leaked pretty badly.

Fredstev and Brendan, thanks for the casting date code and mold conveyor information (where'd you get that?).

Thanks everyone for all this help.

PS: I'm doing some "body" maintenance to clear up some minor blistering blemishing the previous resto in 1998. I've been trying the POR-15 stuff talked about in Cars and Parts last month and it works really well.

Cheers from Chris in NC!

#208906 Mon Jun 05 2006 04:46 PM
F
Wrench Fetcher
Originally posted by whotmewory:
Hey, Fredstev:

No.1 Conveyor in Tonawanda?

Where the heck did you find THAT information? That's getting down to some details! Must be some library you have.

Chris in NC
No library, I worked at the Chevrolet Saginaw grey iron foundry for 36 years. At our place the 6 cylinder blocks came off of #2 conveyor during the period I was there. I think that the service six was produced on the old 7 conveyor. Our small block V8's were poured on #1 and #3 conveyors.

Bear in mind that GM (and other auto manufacturers) needed to be able to identify the source of their castings both at the engine plant and later in the vehicle. There are also shift markers and in some instances, the hour of the day the casting was poured. At our place, a flathead 8-32 screw in the pattern meant day shift, and a round head meant 2nd shift.

#208907 Tue Jun 06 2006 03:14 PM
V
Shop Shark
THANK YOU ! I've been wondering about that for 30 years now....

-Nate

Originally posted by fredstev: At our place, a flathead 8-32 screw in the pattern meant day shift, and a round head meant 2nd shift. [/QB]

-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance
#208908 Tue Jun 06 2006 04:02 PM
W
FREDSTEV:

36 years? Man, the cars you must have seen in your career! I'd wager you'd enjoy John Robertson's "A Pictorial History of Chevrolet, 1940-1954." ISBN 1-880524-29-5. It's full of GM archives photos we don't usually get to see unless they are in the Taillights page of Cars and Parts.

Chris in NC

#208909 Wed Jun 07 2006 01:25 PM
F
Wrench Fetcher
whotmewory - thanks for the book info. I'll check into it.

Just to clear up any confusion on these engine numbers and identifiers - I was a patternmaker at the Saginaw grey iron foundry. All the numbers and identification stuff that we dealt with was for identifying a CASTING and the date that it was cast. With just a few exceptions, marine and service parts engines, all of our output was destined for Flint, MI. Some times, these castings would sit around for weeks, or maybe even a month or so before being machined and having a ENGINE number stamped into them.

We had to be able to identify the shift, date of casting, pattern number, and part number on our castings so if there was a problem at the assembly and machining plant, or later, out in the field, we could pin down the source of the problem.

Patterns and core boxes wear from constant exposure to mold sand. A worn pattern will produce a "smaller" casting in many detail areas that may not have machining cleanup stock. Just the opposite with a core box - a worn one will produce bigger cores that introduces another set of problems.

I guess the point of this is, don't mix up casting information with machining and production information. The stamped engine number is of much more use to the customer than casting numbers.

There, I won't bore you guys any more with this stuff.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop