The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
20 members (55 SHAKER, clarsen3100, Chev4t6, BlackViking60, 5 Window 9434, 2 invisible), 183 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,917
Posts969,284
Members43,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
wont keep running
#17833 Sun Oct 24 2004 02:35 AM
50chev Offline OP
Shop Shark
Howdy Guys!,,,I have a problem,on my 50,,,it used to run,now doesn't frown ,,when i put gas down the carb,,she'll run,,Burn the gas up,then Zero,,I even put gas down the gas tank too,,,Nothing,,Doe's it sound like the fuel pump is bad????,,Any help guys??? frown

Re: wont keep running
#17834 Sun Oct 24 2004 03:32 AM
B
Assuming that we know it has gas in the tank...

Sounds like a fuel pump or plugged filter to me.

Check the filters first:
Do you have an inline filter? Try removing it and blowing through it. Is is plugged? How about one of those little screen filters where the line comes into the carb? Remove it and see if it is plugged.

Then worry about the fuel pump:
Shadetree method: You could remove the output line from the pump and stick enough fuel line rubber tubing on it to run into a can, bottle or something, then crank the engine and see if you get any fuel out of it.

The right way: Don't the pro's use a device that they can connect to the fuel line that will measure pump pressure?

If all this fails, suspect the sock in the tank.

One other thing... If you are running gasahol it has a nasty habit of cleaning everything up, and dumping all that residue that it strips from the tank and lines right into the filters. Nice to have a clean fuel system, hard on the first couple of filters.

Don't lose your head to save a minute,
You need your head, your brains are in it.
Burma-Shave (1947)
Re: wont keep running
#17835 Sun Oct 24 2004 05:40 PM
A
you can also try taking the input line to the fuel pump and dropping it into a jerry can of gas and see if it works then, if not then check for fuel comming out of the pump, may be an idea to pull all the plugs to make it easier on the battery when checking the pump. If the pump checks out ok then blow the fuel line from the pump back to the tank and add a fuel filter at the tank to stop the crud from getting back into the line.

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop