The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (FL_51Chevy, buoymaker, Dave Seaver, DennisM, blueck, 1 invisible), 191 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,917
Posts969,282
Members43,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Safely Towing
#167978 Fri Oct 22 2004 03:59 AM
C
Im in Lubbock, Texas, the truck is in Dallas.

At this point in time I dont see paying a professional very economical. Its about 400 miles between Lubbock and Dallas, at a measley 1.00 per mile, Im looking at 400 bucks.....

If I do it myself, trailers are about 115 bux through uhaul, and I figure 2 tanks of fuel(if I go with the diesel) so thats about 120 bux...so Im lookin at 235 bux and a Saturday..... A lot cheaper then the 400 bux. Im workin off a budget, and the cost of the truck along with the shipping of it would blow that budget.

I havent set anything in stone yet, Im just checking out my options.

Cletis, have you seen any 47-48 5 windows in your neighborhood?

#167979 Fri Oct 22 2004 06:12 AM
S
Shop Shark
You should expect the truck(s) to go faster down hill than they did going up hill! smile

Union, Justice and Confidence
#167980 Fri Oct 22 2004 03:49 PM
F
I rented a trailer from longhorn rentals here in austin, but I found lots of folks with car haulers. there has got to be a local rental you can do to pull this off.

I pulled my 1.5 ton from ft. stockton back to austin on a local rental trailer, cost me 125$ for the trailer, but that was cause I broke the little trailer jack. would have been 80$ or so otherwise. pulled it with my Dodge diesel and got good milage, maybe 1.5 - 2 tanks of gas (140$ at the time)for the 800 miles round trip.

look at the 25$ a day places for a cheap trailer, but make sure you check your lights, and the tires before you rent, don't want to be stuck on the side of the road with a blown tire on the loaded trailer... bring a heavy duty jack with you for just that sort of emergency!

-Mike R.

#167981 Fri Oct 22 2004 08:32 PM
Shop Shark
I have rented several U-haul trailers and all of them had hydraulic brakes, so I didn't need a brake controller. As far as I know, U-haul is the only large rental company that will rent a trailer without you renting their truck also. I have hauled pretty heavy loads over Ranger hill when I moved from Midland to Stephenville. My 1991 6 cyl. Chevy truck was up to the task. My only fear of crossing that hill would be the lack of brakes on the way down the hill. Check with U-haul and make sure that the trailer has hydraulic brakes. If it does, when you apply the brakes, the actuator tongue on the trailer engages the brakes.

Maybe some of this helps.

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.
#167982 Fri Oct 22 2004 09:07 PM
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
I've towed some heavy loads with my half-ton truck, but if you have a bigger truck available I'd encourage using it.

This past summer I pulled a '57 Chevy wagon 1,600 miles on a dolly across Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming and into Colorado. I stuck to freeways where traffic is faster, but generally everyone is going in one direction, and tried to keep long following distances. Going through Denver was scarey because no one would allow me to keep even a car length between me and the car in front. Otherwise it was fine.

I figured my load was about 3,500 pounds dolly and car combined, because the car had no motor or transmission.

It can be done, but be careful!

Its true, I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Steve@OldSub.com . www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com
'55 1st GMC Suburban . '54 GMC 250 trailer puller project. '54 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic . '54 Chevy 3100 . '47 Chevy COE . and more...
#167983 Fri Oct 22 2004 09:53 PM
S
Shop Shark
Personally, I think all of you who say you've pulled heavy loads with little trucks and had no problem are lucky not to have had problems.

Very early on, I learned expedience is often dangerous and costly (I once tried towing a '70 Chevelle SS ragtop from Augusta ME to Indianapolis on a U-Haul car dolly behind an S-10 which was insanely stupid and I learned my lesson).

My personal opinion is that even with a frame-mounted receiver hitch, 1/2-tons are just plain inadequate for towing loads like these big old trucks. Sure, you can get away with it if you're an experienced hauler (notice how experienced haulers don't use 1/2-tons???) or if you're just lucky that day, but I think it's irresponsible to suggest to someone new at it that it's okay to put his family in that rig and then overload it for a 400-mile trip.

What's cheaper, paying extra to have it done right, or paying the deductable on that crewcabbed Ford when you total it on the way home?

Row boats, soccer players and groceries are all modern half-tons are meant to haul, gang. Call it overkill if you like (I call it covering my butt), the the official recommendation of the Stovebolt Page is to tow that truck with nothing less than a 3/4-ton truck properly equipped with a heavyduty towing package and electric brake controller. For hauling, we recommend getting all four wheels off the road (do you trust 50-year old bearings?) on a purpose-built, dual axle, brake-equipped car hauler-type trailer.

You could also read Barry Weeks' excellent article on towing in the Tech Tips section (Follow the link above).

Do it right and do it safe -- we don't want to loose any Stovebolters or their trucks!

Thanks,
John

The collective group of dedicated volunteers behind Stovebolt.com
#167984 Sat Oct 23 2004 12:04 AM
A
I pulled a 54 Packard (4300lbs) on a tow bar from Ma. to Toronto (500 mi) with a 92 Pontiac Bonniville with only a 3.8L motor, just kept it out of overdrive and it only used 1 more tank of fuel than the trip going there. And the total trip was 1000mi in 24 hours..

#167985 Sat Oct 23 2004 12:15 AM
C
This has gotten to be an interesting read.........

Anyway, Ive decided against using my truck, as I dont have a hitch or a tranny cooler. Id have to buy both. My dads diesel however has both and If I decide to get this truck in Dallas will use his. Im also going to get a full trailer to tow with, not a tow dolly. Also, Im not totally inexperienced in towing, I have told a boat for years....although its not as heavy as a Stovebolt....

Thank you everyone for your suggestions...
Tony

#167986 Sat Oct 23 2004 03:25 AM
P
Shop Shark
John, you're right on the money there!!! If you can't haul something properly and safely, hire the job out for a few extra bucks, buy the right equipment, or take your chances with you (and everyone else on the road!) with doing something half-assed. This is aimed at everyone on the forum, and I'm not picking on anyone here, just stating the facts!

Pessimist - Sees glass as half-empty. Optimist - Sees glass as half-full. Gov't- Sees glass and takes it from you because you have a glass.
Political Correctness: A philosophical belief system bereft of common sense and logic, that supports and rewards ignorance and stupidity.

#167987 Sat Oct 23 2004 06:35 AM
hey i towed a 61 1/2 ton which an 03 dodge ram 1500. it had a hemi and it was fun goin down the sea 2 sky highway ( between whistler and vancouver B.C). my only problem was that i ran out of gas halfway there because we forgot to fill up in squamish. makes for a good story though.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop