The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 members (Lode51, homer52, 54Dinosaur, bigmacdaddy, Fox, 1 invisible), 190 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,365
Posts977,661
Members44,213
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lincoln Mig welder
#156264 Fri Jun 28 2002 03:35 AM
R
Shop Shark
Here I am again, beating a dead horse to death AGAIN. I have a lead on a reasonably priced Lincoln SP-250 mig welder. I talked to the Lincoln salesman today and he said this is the older version on the Lincoln SP-255. It has 40% duty cycle @ 250A, 60% @ 200A, and 100% @ 140A. Minimum output is 30A.

I am looking for a welder that will handle anything from body work welding to heavy (1/2") major fabrication.

Anyone running a Lincoln wire feed? Are they better/worse/same as Miller? As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Remember 9-11-01--God Bless the USA
JUSTICE, not REVENGE, will prevail

1951 Chevy 1/2-ton Pickup truck
Re: Lincoln Mig welder
#156265 Fri Jun 28 2002 09:43 PM
M
My local welding shop who sells both Lincoln and Miller says that Miller are more heavy duty then Lincoln. Miller has more metal parts like the rollers ect. I have the Miller 175 mig and I love it! After he told me that I started to notice what professionals were useing, you see them driving on the road on trailers or in back of service trucks their all Millers and I have seen some that looked pretty rough and they are still using them. Also want to check out parts and service, no one around here has parts or service a Lincoln. Several do on Millers. May be differant were you are though. Happy welding!

cool

"Finish the thing, do it right the first time, and drive the S.O.B.!"

1949 Chevy half ton 3100 In a kazillion pieces
2000 GMC Serria 1500 SL 4x4
#156266 Tue Jul 09 2002 12:37 AM
Extreme Gabster
Well, I can't speak for a welder that big but I have had a Lincoln Pro-Mig 135 for over a year and I like it just fine. It seems well built and it welds a nice bead even with my bad welding skills- I had never welded before I bought it. It feeds the wire nice and evenly and the controls are friendly.

Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#156267 Tue Jul 09 2002 02:31 AM
L
I've got both.The Lincoln is good for light work,the Miller is a more durable,heavy use unit.I use the Lincoln for bodywork-panel replacement,frenching headlights,decking hoods,patch-panels etc.The Millermatic 130xp I use for frame stuff and fabrication and it does the job just fine.The feed mechanism on the Miller is less troublesome than the Lincoln too.It all depends on what you feel comfortable with ,what works for you.They're both good units. cool

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop