The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Whatcha doing now?
What did you get done on your Bolt today? - 2021 and later
The original thread is still in tact and we have 14 pages already for this time frame. A "mini-Project Journal" if you will.

Stovebolt driving report
Started by Cletis in 2012 - 36 pages and going strong!

Who uses their truck as a truck - 2021 and later

Re-started this thread. Three pages and counting.

Bolters in the Side Lot
are planning get togethers and what not. See who's near you.

Stay busy; keep warm!
Share your enthusiam.
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
2023 Old Truck Calendars
First one
Nothing like old trucks working

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (NJC, Jethro in Va, 3800GUY), 59 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,332
Posts1,054,207
Members46,615
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1477566 Mon Dec 05 2022 01:14 AM
P
'Bolter
I need a hood for my ‘53 pickup. I have one with no dents, and a few dime sized rust holes where the support bracket is underneath. It’s very pitted from sitting in the woods so long. I’ll have a fair amount of work in it by the time it’s ready to be painted. Am I better off putting the work into this one, or are the aftermarket hoods pretty good quality? Are all aftermarket hoods the same or are some better?

F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
Pa,
That thin metal on the hood at the back will be very difficult to repair, especially if you’re a novice. I’d consider myself a “good novice” and I wouldn’t want to try to fix that.

I’d find an original replacement. I have purchased quite a few aftermarket panels and VERY few fit like they’re suppose to.

I’ve done (among others);

Cab corners- had to tweak a little on some, others were “WHAT THE FIVE SENSE…” not even close, cut it apart to start. I haven’t had one simply slide into place.

RH 70 bedside- I had to cut out the rear taillight section and weld in an original corner because the contour was out 3/8”. A pile of work. The left side was pretty good. Tailgate from mar-k was good.

Replacement doors - 1970. The rh was pretty good, we shall see. The LH was brutal. I used an original LH door and reskinned it. The lower inner tubs were close, but again required quite a bit of work.

Floor panels, kick panels, fender patch panels, all required trimming, tweaking, welding to get right.

In other words, it’s a rcap shoot in my opinion. Search out an original. You’ll be happier you did.

If you do go aftermarket, don’t paint it until you test fit everything around/under it. You’ll be glad you did.

Last edited by Fox; Mon Dec 05 2022 04:09 AM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.
1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife’s

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
W
'Bolter
If you go repop, I would be leery of the seamless ones… I would think the seam improves rigidity, seamless to be more flexible.

Age 68 is not too late to start hot rodding , right?
O
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Waveski
If you go repop, I would be leery of the seamless ones… I would think the seam improves rigidity, seamless to be more flexible.

Are you talking about the one piece hoods vs original style two piece hood?

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom)
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck)
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado (The Purple Knif)
1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red)
1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe
1979 Ford F-100
1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red)
1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop